Are notes now reliable?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 3 2017 12:39 PM

A recent post prompted me to look at using notes much more than I currently do.

Before I commit a lot of time to this, I searched for issues that people had had with notes over the last few years and found a few threads complaining of (a) the loss of notes or formatting and (b) the inability to make local backups using export and import to a local file.

The issues were referring to Logos 4 and 5 and I wanted to know whether they are still current concerns. I realise that they automatically get synced to the cloud, but I don't consider that particularly safe - a future program bug might well corrupt my notes and then happily sync them to the cloud, leaving me with nothing.

Posts 2747
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 3 2017 1:30 PM

I use Logos notes feature extensively and while I think it could use some improvements like easy export, I don't think they are unreliable. I have not lost notes that I know of. My only problem now is that even though they added them to the web app those notes don't sync with the mobile or computer apps, but that's because they haven't finished them yet. My recommendation is go for it. They are pretty good at this point.

Posts 1031
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 3 2017 3:02 PM

As far as I have ever experienced they are reliable but I'm not convinced they are very useful... I don't understand why there is no view showing the full highlighted quotation with my comments on it below and a citation? Clippings are almost perfect in that regard but don't connect with the resource in the same way as notes.

It seems to me the most basic of tasks which the academic writer wants is not considered. Instead we many of us are using other apps for our notes.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 3 2017 3:06 PM

I have never found notes to be unreliable.  Several years ago I transferred all the notes from my paper Bible to digital and haven't looked back.  And you can export them and print them.

Posts 301
LogosEmployee
Brandyn Whittington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 3 2017 3:50 PM

Hey BriM! Great question. We've done extensive work to ensure utmost integrity when it comes to our users notes, both in the safety and longevity of them, and the security of them. There's many ways to parse through your notes in the program as well, from the Documents menu from within the program to ALL of your documents at https://documents.logos.com. The latter being the most helpful, as if you find you have accidentally deleted a note, you can restore them from our web interface!

We take our customers documents very seriously, and should anything happen to them, rest assured we will do everything that we can to recover them in the event anything should happen.

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 4 2017 12:46 PM

Hi Brandyn, could you explain how syncing happens in the following scenario. Assume I have a notes file called "Bible Notes" where I add all my notes. I do this from two PCs, one of which is connected to the Internet, the other only gets connected every 6 months or so. The logos installation is made by copying from one PC to the other, so I would assume that the "Bible Notes" document is identical on both at the start. Over the six month period, I make extensive edits to the document on both PCs, adding, deleting and updating notes on specific verses in the one "Bible Notes" document. One PC is syncing these changes with your servers, but the other can't as it has no Internet connection.

My question is: how does Logos reconcile the changes when I eventually connect the second PC to the Internet?

Posts 301
LogosEmployee
Brandyn Whittington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 11 2017 1:47 PM

BriM:

Hi Brandyn, could you explain how syncing happens in the following scenario. Assume I have a notes file called "Bible Notes" where I add all my notes. I do this from two PCs, one of which is connected to the Internet, the other only gets connected every 6 months or so. The logos installation is made by copying from one PC to the other, so I would assume that the "Bible Notes" document is identical on both at the start. Over the six month period, I make extensive edits to the document on both PCs, adding, deleting and updating notes on specific verses in the one "Bible Notes" document. One PC is syncing these changes with your servers, but the other can't as it has no Internet connection.

My question is: how does Logos reconcile the changes when I eventually connect the second PC to the Internet?

Logos would compile the modifications as follows:

Any changes to a section or area of the notes that happens on Document A, that is NOT modified on Document B, will be reflected in the final item found on our servers. It's the same if Document A and Document B are both modified, but in different areas. The final combined Document will be found on our servers.

If Document A and Document B are modified in the same note/section, than whichever document has the newest modification will be reflected on our servers.

Our note documents when it comes to this are less an overall, single document, and more individual sections/areas that, during sync, are tested against one another for which has the newest modification or edit, and that is what persists.

To simplify:

If different sections change, upon both documents syncing, all changes are reflected.

If the same sections change, upon both documents syncing, the newest change is reflected.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS