When did "Reverend" come into use?

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 996
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 10 2017 6:25 AM

Josh Hunt:

I prefer just to be called by my first name. 

Smile

Posts 4
Alasdair Baxter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 12:57 PM

Llcentiates of the Church of Scotland (and presumably of other Presbyterian churches) are entitled to be designated "Reverend" even though they are not (yet) ordained.

Posts 4
Alasdair Baxter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 1:04 PM

"Doctor" is not a legally protected title unlike "Nurse" so that anyone can call themselves "Doctor" although they may not hold themselves out to be medically qualified. One of the most famous Doctors in history, Doctor Samuel Johnston, the lexicographer only had an honorary doctorate. Bearing in mind that the word comes from the Latin "docere" meaning to teach, then, surely it should be teachers and not medical practitioners who should enjoy the title.

Posts 4
Alasdair Baxter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 1:11 PM

Please, where can I find details of the Keat Case 1876?

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 2:10 PM

No reference to it beyond the mention in the mention in the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church even an internet search turned up very little on it.

-dan

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 2:25 PM

The answer varies by place, date, and denomination. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesiastical_titles_and_styles for a broader set of options. Note that Reverend is a style not a title ... a distinction I just became aware of.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 290
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 2:40 PM

You can use the Google Books Ngram Viewer to see usage of words over time in Google Books.  I think they start their tracking at 1800.  This is the link for "reverend" and "Reverend".  Has some limitations. 

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Reverend%2C+reverend&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2CReverend%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Creverend%3B%2Cc0

You can see a trend here. 

Posts 2017
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 3:37 PM

I probably shouldn't wonder about this but do anyway, and I can't yet think of a Logos search to find it; but what if a congregation has The Very/Most/Right Reverend female Reverend?  What is the official title then?

This link indicates that the head of some Anglican Communions would have someone called "The Reverend Mother."   Methodists would add "Her Reverence" to the list.

In my opinion, my wife would probably come close to qualifying, as would my mom and daughters--for the title at least.  I suspect that around Asia there are some church women who would cabbage on to such terms in a heartbeat if they once discovered them.

Posts 9937
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 3:48 PM

Dan Francis:

Reverend, a title prefixed by courtesy to the name of any clergyman, though “clerk” (clericus) is the legal and strictly proper description of clergymen, and is, in official documents, placed after (as “Reverend” is before) their names. ...

I get the feeling 'clergy' is becoming the gotcha for mandated reporting.

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 3:57 PM

GaoLu:
but what if a congregation has The Very/Most/Right Reverend female Reverend?  What is the official title then?

My (Lutheran) daughter-in-law is either Rev. or Pastor ....

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4
Alasdair Baxter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2019 2:46 PM

It is actually the Keet case. Keet v Smith and you can find all the details at <www. bailii.org> which gives details of loads of legal cases.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS