NASB in Paragraph Format

Page 8 of 12 (230 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 229 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2434
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 17 2017 4:30 PM | Locked

I for one am absolutely delighted with the paragraph version- but I also understand the desire to have it in verse format- FL just needs to supply both- why they don't- I don't know.

Oh- he's on third Surprise

Posts 136
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 12:33 AM | Locked

Disciple of Christ (doc):

The problem is Dav that nothing was broken and overnight without thought of the consequences or regards to the needs of all users FL reacted to the advice of a couple of people who wanted paragraph format.  

These unique features of the NASB95 format, as described by Alex above are what set this translation's format apart from the rest of  the translations format's.  Back in the day we purchased the NASB library package for both the translation and the format of the translation. FL's actions and fixes so far show they don't get why they have some very upset customers on their hands. 

Real people paid for the format that the NASB95 used to display.  The fix is nowhere near what the original format offered. I think they have a right to voice their unhappiness with FL. 

DOC,

Thank you for so clearly articulating the concerns of many of us.  The information you present reflects logical conclusions based on information available to date (actions and several brief statements from Faithlife).

The NASB’s accuracy is of course important but its unique verse format with its distinctive features is something no other Bible translation is able to offer.  It was this format which originally caused me to chose the NASB as my preferred Bible from a small group of other well respected translations.

Faithlife’s insistence on trying to resolve this issue through tweaks to a visual filter which are bound to disappoint have been puzzling and seem to support your conclusion that they either do not realize or have not taken the time to consider why many of us chose the verse formatted NASB in the first place and why we consider it to be such a special resource.  

Based on Faithlife’s preference for standardization, I suspect any further changes to the existing visual filter will be limited to those which can also be applied to the visual filter of other Bibles.  This will cause several unique characteristics of the NASB verse format to be omitted such its distinct verse numbering system (all verse numbers unbolded except for those which begin a paragraph).  Furthermore, this will do nothing to restore the other program functions that were lost which I’ve mentioned in previous posts.

Solution: Faithlife, please provide anyone who owns an NASB with two separate NASB resources at no additional charge (one default verse formatted and one default paragraph formatted). 

Posts 136
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 12:51 AM | Locked

Bobby Terhune:

..., and I think that the "unique" features you speak of are really of minor importance.  

Bobby,

If I’m understanding you correctly in the comment above, you are simply stating that for your own personal needs the unique features of the publisher’s verse format are not that important.  If that is correct then I totally respect your opinion and preference. 

However, for myself and apparently many others who have posted to this thread, these unique features are a very big deal.  The translation quality is obviously important but so is the format.  When I was originally deciding on a preferred Bible, I carefully considered several of the more literal highly regarded translations (each of them having their strong points), but I decided on the NASB precisely because of the unique features found within the publisher’s verse format. 

Bobby Terhune:

Reading in context is always better.

I read in context just fine with the publisher’s original verse format.  For me personally, the verse format (not the visual filter but the publisher’s verse format) perfectly reflects all levels of context (verse, paragraph, pericope, and chapter).

Bobby Terhune:

But each to his own

On that we can definitely agree!  Smile

Posts 15
Thomas Sterbens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 4:23 AM | Locked

Personally, I would be glad to pay for the NASB95 resource in the original format.
Is there any chance that might be offered?

Thanks

Posts 18
Mike Henry Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 6:09 AM | Locked

I would pay for the former format too.  I'm disappointed the version I already paid for is no longer in its original format. But if paying for a copy will stop the argument, I'd do it. It would be interesting to see how many of each they sell. :-)

Posts 1153
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 6:38 AM | Locked

Mike Henry Sr.:

I would pay for the former format too.  I'm disappointed the version I already paid for is no longer in its original format. But if paying for a copy will stop the argument, I'd do it. It would be interesting to see how many of each they sell. :-)

I for one will not pay for another version, I would like the version I did pay for.

Posts 4085
Disciple of Christ (doc) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 18 2017 10:59 PM | Locked

Matt Hamrick:

I for one will not pay for another version, I would like the version I did pay for.

i agree. I don't believe I should have to pay a second time for this resource to get back what I had already paid for in the first place. 

Posts 24475
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 6:35 AM | Locked

Thomas Sterbens:
I would be glad to pay for the NASB95 resource in the original format.

That shouldn't be an issue. Either they will make it available (for free) to those who own the NASB or not. This isn't a money grab by FL or the publishers. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 24475
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 6:35 AM | Locked

Thomas Sterbens:
I would be glad to pay for the NASB95 resource in the original format.

That shouldn't be an issue. Either they will make it available (for free) to those who own the NASB or not. This isn't a money grab by FL or the publishers. 

Posts 3
Nathan Ownbey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 6:49 AM | Locked

How do we do this?  And how do I change the copy bible verses format to have line-alignment so that the verse is outstanding from the word-wrap like it was before?

Posts 17878
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 7:10 AM | Locked

Hi Nathan - and welcome to the forums

Nathan Ownbey:
How do we do this?

Specifically what is it you are trying to do? There are a lot of things discussed on this thread.

If you are referring to having one line per verse you currently do this using the "Bible Text Only" filter available from the Resource menu. As discussed earlier in this thread this isn't equivalent to the original format but it is what we have at the moment

Nathan Ownbey:
 And how do I change the copy bible verses format to have line-alignment so that the verse is outstanding from the word-wrap like it was before?

I don't know how it appeared before but using the "One verse per line" layout gives you something like this

Graham

Posts 3
Nathan Ownbey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 8:42 AM | Locked

Before the Full Format looked like this:

1    Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain,         and she said, “I have gotten a manchild with the help of the Lord.”

Now it looks like this:

1 Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, “I have gotten a manchild with the help of the Lord.”

How do you I get the original back in Copy Bible Verses?

Posts 3
Nathan Ownbey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 8:44 AM | Locked

It didn't come through right.  What I was trying to show is that the text alignment is separate from the verse number.  Like in list format:

1. Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, “I have gotten a manchild with the help of the Lord.”
  2. Again, she gave birth to his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of flocks, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
Posts 17878
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 9:26 AM | Locked

Nathan Ownbey:
It didn't come through right.  What I was trying to show is that the text alignment is separate from the verse number.  Like in list format:

Understood - thanks for the clarification

I don't think there is any way we - as users - can change this. Others previously in this thread have requested that the behaviour in the CBV tool reverts to how it was but I haven't seen anything definitive from Faithlife regarding this.

Posts 15
Thomas Sterbens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 1:11 PM | Locked

Thanks for the replies...

Disclaimer: I really do have a life Big Smile and do not hold the issue of the formatted appearance of the NASB95 in my Bible software as a determining factor for the quality of my life or eternal existence (smile again).

Having said that...the visual filter work-around does not provide the same appearance as the original (the pericopes and paragraphs are shoved together, etc.), unless that has been changed in the last day or two.

In the end I would guess my preference has to do with some mild level of eidetic reference for me.  This after 20 years of usage and notes...highlighting...bold text.  You know, sort of like the visual/mental references for those of us who are old enough to have highlighted/notated paper Bibles until they were worn out.

AND...I have had no thought whatsoever that this was some "money grab" ruse on the part of FL.  
Still, I would be glad to pay for the resource in the old format if it were made available.

Thanks guys...

Posts 24475
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 6:39 PM | Locked

Thomas Sterbens:
I have had no thought whatsoever that this was some "money grab" ruse on the part of FL.  
Still, I would be glad to pay for the resource in the old format if it were made available.

I didn't think you intended that, I was just clarifying. The issue isn't money. 

Posts 4350
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 19 2017 9:06 PM | Locked

I use NASB95 for many reasons, one of which is the line-per-verse presentation. And while some may have this attitude...

Thomas Sterbens:

...I am not so accommodating. I'm not going to pay for this resource again. You see, I actually PAID $$ for NASB95 back in the 90s, before it was added to the base packages. It wasn't cheap, either. I'm NOT going to pay for it again. Not only that, but I fully expect FL to restore my NASB95 back to its original condition very soon, and they can then go back to figuring out how to offer a paragraph format for those who want that. I have no interest in such a thing. I personally feel ROBBED and at this point I'm just biding a short window of time before I start gathering names of similarly aggrieved parties.

RESTORE IT EXACTLY AS BEFORE ASAP.

Posts 633
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 20 2017 5:24 AM | Locked

David Paul:

I use NASB95 for many reasons, one of which is the line-per-verse presentation. And while some may have this attitude...

Thomas Sterbens:

...I am not so accommodating. I'm not going to pay for this resource again. You see, I actually PAID $$ for NASB95 back in the 90s, before it was added to the base packages. It wasn't cheap, either. I'm NOT going to pay for it again. Not only that, but I fully expect FL to restore my NASB95 back to its original condition very soon, and they can then go back to figuring out how to offer a paragraph format for those who want that. I have no interest in such a thing. I personally feel ROBBED and at this point I'm just biding a short window of time before I start gathering names of similarly aggrieved parties.

RESTORE IT EXACTLY AS BEFORE ASAP.

Agree.  And if anyone has to pay let it be those who want the new paragraph format.  

Also, what happens to all our notes and highlights if we have to buy a new resource?

And I guess FL/logos has no intention of answering the YES or NO question posted earlier.  Getting more like Zondervan all the time!

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 1510
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 20 2017 5:44 AM | Locked

I can't imagine that they would produce a separate resource. That's totally unnecessary and would bring on even more problems.

I agree that FL made a few mistakes: a) releasing without better testing, and b) by not ensuring that line-by-line was the default.

And I know it's the accumulation of similar goofs over the years that makes it worse.

But, Mistake made, it's now more helpful to focus on the FIX. They are continuing to make changes and updates to correct it. That tells us they do not intend to release a separate resource. Nor should they! They are perfectly capable of making this work as a single resource. With all the same formatting and functionality. The best way to move this forward is to take Mark's example and post bug reports for every difference that needs to be fixed.

My Base Packages

Custom PC: Core i7; 32GB RAM; GeForce GTX 970; Win 10 Pro
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T: Core i5; 4GB RAM; Win 10 Pro
ASUS Nexus 7 | Google Pixel XL | Apple iPad Pro 9.7

Posts 4085
Disciple of Christ (doc) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 20 2017 7:18 PM | Locked

Alex Scott:

And I guess FL/logos has no intention of answering the YES or NO question posted earlier.  Getting more like Zondervan all the time!

FL leadership refusing to answer your question is the equivalent of the somebody making a rude gesture. Regardless of the answer they should at least have the decency to answer your question Alex.

Page 8 of 12 (230 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.