Is a Macbook Air adequate??

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 960
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 12 2017 2:52 PM

I'm in need of a replacement computer and have been working on a macbook pro for several years... Is anyone with 10000+ resources in their library running a macbook air and are you happy with it? If I got an air would the processor upgrade (choosing i7 over i5) make an appreciable impact on Logos? Does anyone know if the i7 processor makes the macbook air run hot?

This question partly comes out of knowing a few people who've bought the newer macbook pro and are deeply regretting it after their keyboards don't work reliably.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 3:07 PM

I have a new MacBook Pro and it works just fine with Logos 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 960
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 3:23 PM

I'm sure the pro will handle it but I'm wondering if the air can cope?

I like the keyboard, connectivity and battery life but has the processor got the muscle? If you upgrade the processor does it run too hot?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1355
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 4:22 PM

I've been running on a MB Air since 2011 (4Gb RAM), and I think I have about 1000 resources. I have no complaints, and no doubt the most recent AIR would be significantly more powerful.

Note, though, that I don't have a package and so I don't do some of the more processor-intensive searches or whatnot that someone else might.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 5:18 PM

I agree with Ben. I think the air will be just fine, it has 8GB memory and if you upgrade the processor I'm sure it'll be great. 

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 492
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 5:40 PM

And you will be using an SSD which will help your performance as well. 

That would put you in a good spot. (granted I am on a 2012 mb pro with 8gb ram & a SSD.)

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 69
JeremyS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 12 2017 6:02 PM

i have an early 2014 macbook air running a 1.4ghz i5 processor and only 4gb RAM and logos doesn't give me problems. there is of course a slight delay when opening a guide etc compared to a more powerful system, but it runs just fine overall.

AFAIK i7 is a waste in this case as i think its still a dual core i7 so you aren't getting extra cores. 

Posts 4623
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 13 2017 2:53 AM

John Goodman:
Is anyone with 10000+ resources in their library running a macbook air and are you happy with it?

My mid 2013 Air with 8Gb memory copes with 8284 resources just fine. I am not though a heavy user in research terms and use the Program mostly for weekly sermon prep. This means that I cannot speak about times when there are a host of resources in many panels or when there are a good number of Visual Filters requiring attention from the processors.

Posts 960
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 13 2017 5:23 PM

Thanks all that is helpful!

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 14 2017 11:03 AM

Just to add to what has already been said. I've been running 14k resources on a MBA (2011) and performance is acceptable to good. The only issue is that a complete install and index is somewhat taxing and the machine does tend to run hot. However, it is pretty much a one time only deal and so shouldn't be an issue post-install. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS