Advice for a "New User"

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 754
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 17 2017 9:24 AM

One of our church elders, who teaches Old Testament at a local university, finally succumbed to Logos.  He informed me Sunday morning that he had acquired Logos 7 Gold.  He wanted to get together with me to help him come up to speed.

I thought a forum thread for advice to a "New User" might be warranted.

To get things rolling, I will include the information I will send him via email: The most important things to do would be (1) prioritize your resources, (2) learn how to take control of your notes, (3) learn how and when to take desktop snapshots, i.e., Layouts, (4) learn how to perform basic searches, and (5) trying out "drag and drop" to Favorites (which is one of the best places to keep track of research and your personal history; e.g., TODO and TOREAD lists).

Please feel free to add to these, or even come up with your own priorities.  I'm hoping that someone will include links to some of the more helpful online video training material.

Thanks!

Posts 939
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 17 2017 9:58 AM

The "Quickstart" videos are helpful for new users.  They may already be in your friend's base package.  If not, it's a free download.

https://www.logos.com/product/126578/logos-7-quickstart

Posts 1073
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 18 2017 11:14 AM

Hi David, 

For me the first thing i did after getting Logos was 1. start reading forums post looking at other that had the same problems as me and also asking questions when i could not find other post. 

2nd i watched all the free Logos videos i could find. 

After that i just try to add little things other users have talked about and after I have used Logos for the past 6 years I am happy with the program.

I have also upgraded six times i think. Embarrassed

I have been blessed with all that Logos software can do for us, and current payment plan ends this month! Smile

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 22
Nicholas Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 18 2017 12:37 PM

I would highly advise him to either go to one of Morris Proctors "camp logos" programs, or to at least get the resource version of that training.  Making an early investment in learning how to use all of the features well, will yield large dividends in study later.  I found the training invaluable - enough so that I am budgeting to take it again as a refresher and to get up to speed on some of the newer features.

Posts 754
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 18 2017 4:05 PM

A key thing to remember is you probably won't use 90% of what Logos can do. I would familiarize yourself with all the features using the videos, then dig into the things that are useful for you. I use Logos all day every day in writing Bible lessons, but I only really use three features:

1. Commentaries

2. Bible Word Study

3. Cited by. 

Posts 754
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 18 2017 4:08 PM

One more thought. I'd recommend budgeting some amount of money for ongoing Logos purchases. Preachers have always bought books. Now we buy Logos books. Look for sales. Logos always has something on sale. The packages are the best bang for you buck. Sometimes, I have been looking for a set of commentaries and found that I could get a package that included that set (along with a lot of other stuff) cheaper than buying the commentary itself. 

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 18 2017 5:18 PM

Learn about tagging books and making collections. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 18 2017 8:49 PM

David A Egolf:
I thought a forum thread for advice to a "New User" might be warranted.

An earlier thread became the basis for Logos wiki page => Getting Started with Logos that has content for Logos 4 that is still applicable:

More recent is free Logos Pro training => https://www.logos.com/30-day-training that focuses on using Logos Bible Software with study steps, which includes getting started items.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2195
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 19 2017 4:23 AM

I put this together in 2015, but it may still be helpful for a new user.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/101279/699901.aspx#699901

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 19 2017 8:31 AM

My learning path for a brand new user would be:

1. The Go Box
  2. Window/panel basics, including the parallel resource menu.
  3. Guides
  4. Factbook
  5. Basic searching
  6. Reverse interlinears
  7. Context menu

Personally, I wouldn't deal with 'set-up' matters first, as it's hard to set things up to your liking if you don't know how Logos works. I'd start with the defaults, and then suggest ways of improving results if a user is dissatisfied.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS