Impossible Search idea?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 23 2010 12:06 PM

Hi!

I was reading through Romans this morning noticing some of the doctrinal terms that are used in the book.

Is there a way to construct a search that will show me all of the doctrinal terms found in this epistle?This can be an "All Library search," or specified or all commentaries, or anything that works...perhaps simply finding nouns and eliminate most somehow?

I do not want to know what those terms are (they're obvious to me) but I simply want to know whether a search can be constructed to find them. If so, what would be a good way to construct the search?

thanX!!

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 12:09 PM

it depends on your criteria for a "doctrinal term." Because its a subjective search you will first have to determine the terms you want to find.

Posts 33430
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 12:11 PM

Technically yes - just give all the terms as selections in an OR relationship - requesting all forms of the words in the drop down menu. Well, I may be wrong - if the list of doctrinal terms exceeds the limits of Logos 4 or you computer, the answer may be no.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 12:16 PM

Philip Spitzer:

it depends on your criteria for a "doctrinal term." Because its a subjective search you will first have to determine the terms you want to find.

Understood. But suppose I'm new to the Faith and don't know which words or phrases to use? As a newbie I should be able to at least pull out

800x600 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE HE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

i.    Salvation

ii.    Condemnation

iii.    Election

iv.    Justification

v.    Sanctification

vi.    Glorification

vii.    Dispensation

but curiosity should get the better of me to cause me to wonder if there are more terms?

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 5:41 PM

MJ. Smith:

Technically yes - just give all the terms as selections in an OR relationship - requesting all forms of the words in the drop down menu. Well, I may be wrong - if the list of doctrinal terms exceeds the limits of Logos 4 or you computer, the answer may be no.

After some reflection on this, I think you are correct. I may have been subconsciously looking for a resource that listed them all. This won't be an issue with me, I just threw it out in case... Big Smile

God bless

{charley}

Posts 27038
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:56 PM

If you have a resource(s) on doctrine (eg. find title:doctrine in Library) then they would give you some words!

The query would look like:-

Salvation, Condemnation, Election, Justification, Sanctification, Glorification,  Dispensation

But don't search The Message for them!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:30 AM

You could look at the "Interesting Words" section of a Passage Guide that you run on all of Romans. Even a newbie will be able to pick out the words from that "wordle" which are doctrinal terms:

Pay no attention to the orientation or color of the terms. They are just arranged in a pleasing layout. The relative size of the words has to do with how frequently they occur. See the official statement on this from Logos employee Sean Boisen: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/12486/98273.aspx#98273

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 1:54 AM

Depending on what resources you have in your library, you could do something like is shown in this screen shot. I simply searched for "rom." in "The Great Doctrines of the Bible". This returns a listing of every place Romans is referenced with an associated doctrine discussed in the book. It would work wit any resource or collection in you library.

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 2:18 AM

Fred Chapman:

Depending on what resources you have in your library, you could do something like is shown in this screen shot. I simply searched for "rom." in "The Great Doctrines of the Bible". This returns a listing of every place Romans is referenced with an associated doctrine discussed in the book. It would work wit any resource or collection in you library.

The better way to do this is to search for <Romans> (include the angle brackets) because that will match tagged Bible references in the text. There's a non-zero chance that "Rom." could be an abbreviation of something else than the Bible book Romans. Perhaps not very likely in this particular case, but with some of the other Bible books you're definitely better off searching for references to them using the <reference> syntax. So it's best to get in that habit.

This is exactly what happens if you use the Cited By tool on a collection containing just the work(s) of doctrine mentioned and then clicking "more >>" at the end of the first page of results. It's quicker to use Search to do this.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 4:21 AM

Rosie Perera:

The better way to do this is to search for <Romans> (include the angle brackets) because that will match tagged Bible references in the text. There's a non-zero chance that "Rom." could be an abbreviation of something else than the Bible book Romans. Perhaps not very likely in this particular case, but with some of the other Bible books you're definitely better off searching for references to them using the <reference> syntax. So it's best to get in that habit.

This is exactly what happens if you use the Cited By tool on a collection containing just the work(s) of doctrine mentioned and then clicking "more >>" at the end of the first page of results. It's quicker to use Search to do this.

The more time I spend on the forums the more I learn. Thanks Rosie!Yes

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 4:36 AM

Fred Chapman:

The more time I spend on the forums the more I learn. Thanks Rosie!Yes

Ditto! With the number of posts I've got under my picture, you'd think I'd have this whole thing figured out by now, but I am still learning new things each day. Some of them quite major. Yesterday I learned something new from someone with only 30 posts under his picture!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS