George Müller Collection (12 Vols.)

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1265
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 6:15 AM

Rosie Perera:

Well, ue is indeed equivalent to ü in German orthography. Perhaps that came into common usage in the old days of typewriters where you couldn’t put diacritical marks over letters. But I didn’t think the umlaut was an endangered species at all. They still use them in Der Spiegel, the main weekly magazine. I'll ask my friend in Germany.

Last week I read an article in Der Spiegel about the Danish city of Århus. Because of the internet there are plans to change the name from Århus to Aarhus. This article also explains why the German city of Düsseldorf still links its newer site www.düsseldorf.de to the older www.duesseldorf.de:

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,1518,683559,00.html

Apart from making it easier for international surfers to find German (, Danish, etc.) internet adresses there are no serious plans to reduce the use of the Umlaut.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 6:18 AM

Thomas Black:

On the other hand, I have heard that the collection in question has until this Friday to make it down to $15 or lower!

I don't see it going lower then415 , but I do think it will hit $15.

Posts 10599
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:28 AM

Philip Spitzer:
I don't see it going lower then415

Wow! I'm not sure I would want it then. Big Smile

Posts 18766
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 3:00 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Chris Farwell:

As an aside, I thought the umlaut was being phased out by the Germans. Don't they all write a following e now instead? (ie Mueller)

The German Language has undergone many changes in the last 20 years, but I had not heard about the umlaut being phased out.

From my brother who is fluent in German and lived and worked in Germany for two years:

This is the first I've ever heard such a thing about umlauts. I suspect your informant has simply observed how frequently "ue" etc. are used because of the lack of umlautability on many QWERTY keyboards. But I've never seen a lack of them in anything typed on a normal German keyboard. There was a much-debated spelling reform several years ago that, among other things, clarified when the "ess-zett" (looks like a capital beta) is used, vs. "ss" (the Swiss have long used exclusively the latter). Like ae/oe/ue, ss is always an acceptable substitute for e-mail etc. But I do not recall any changes in umlaut rules. Note that some Muellers spell their name with ue, others with u-umlaut -- no idea why.

All this said, it's entirely possible that modern text/Twitter culture is wreaking the same dismal effects on German spelling as on English. Goethe and Schiller are no doubt rolling in their Graeber.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 7:42 AM

The price is getting real close to $15. I suspect that the regular price will be about $99 after it is published.

http://www.logos.com/communitypricing/details/5683

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 12:07 AM

[Temporarily back to hijack mode]

Sorry yes, my reasoning for thinking the umlaut was being phased out stems from time in Zurich, where they (the Swiss) tend to be fairly lax about all things high German. The "ss" usage was also more prevalent than the sharfess (?) s as well. Might explain why I thought e was being substituted. Thanks for the clarification.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 12:03 PM

It is getting very close to the $15 price! That would be only $1.25 per volume.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 12:24 PM

Rosie Perera:
Goethe and Schiller are no doubt rolling in their Graeber.

Now that was funny!  Thanks for the chuckle!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 11:56 AM

The George Müller Collection (12 Vols.) has hit the $15 price for the complete set. Time is almost up if you are interested!

You can get it at: http://www.logos.com/communitypricing/details/5683 

I predict that the price will go up more than 300% once it goes to Prepublication..

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 2:22 PM

Nice work everybody! We made $15 by the skin of our teeth. Funny how many emails I sent out to try to get orders all for saving $3...but it is nice to get people good deals as well.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 2:31 PM

Thanks Jacob....ya did good....my original bid was 33.00 which I thought was good....15.00 much better....

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 4:20 PM

OK, how about setting our sights on Catena Aurea now? Almost at 80%!!!!! Read what the Early Church Fathers had to say about the 4 Gospels!!! A steal at even $40!!! Sells for $139.95 at Amazon, and if we get some more people to bid we'll get it for $20 or less!!!  This is a Christian classic, please submit a bid! I will do the same for your favorites! (in fact I bid on all the Community pricing projects, the prices are so cheap for good resources!)

http://www.logos.com/communitypricing/details/5216

Posts 2947
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 4:50 PM

What is the time there now?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 6:55 PM

Tes:

Tes, we are about 6-7 hours behind you, on the East Coast, depending on daylight savings time.  Pacific Coast is another 3 hours behind East Coast.  it is 9:55 pm ET right now.

Posts 2947
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:24 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Tes:

Tes, we are about 6-7 hours behind you, on the East Coast, depending on daylight savings time.  Pacific Coast is another 3 hours behind East Coast.  it is 9:55 pm ET right now.

Thank you Dan

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2947
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:32 AM

Müller , means Mueller , the umlaut Ü is ue ,ä  is ae ö is oe  the problem is not writting ,but the way you pronounce it ,I am living in Germany almost  for about 20 years ,it is not always easy to pronounce the words with umlauts .

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2947
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:36 AM

Becuause ,I have German keyboards I am able to write the words with umlauts ,but if some one wants uses enlish keyboards the only way to write is ,to add e with the alphabet.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:02 AM

I never dreamed that my use of the umlaut Ü would create so much discussion on this topic thread.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:15 AM

Bill Gordon:

I never dreamed that my use of the umlaut Ü would create so much discussion on this topic thread.

we may have uncovered a significant market niche . . .

Posts 18766
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 9:36 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Bill Gordon:

we may have uncovered a significant market niche . . .

Well, Germany is where it all started. Bible study in the hands of the laity, that is. Thanks to Gutenberg and then later Luther. So there might still be somewhat of a market left there after all the secularization...

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS