Searching Across Verse Boundries

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 27 2017 2:30 PM

I'm working with Phil. 2:8 and 9, and am trying to look at other examples of the humiliation / exhultation motif that is so central to this particular hymn. I decided to look for the roots ταπεινος and υψος in proximity. I wanted to examine the LXX, so I stayed away from LN tags. Is there a way (other than the morph query) to search across verse boundries? I can do it in Accordance (doesn't make a great deal of difference in this instance, but still) for the NT and LXX. I'd like to do this work in Logos, but can't figure out how.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 2:49 PM

You have a few options:

• A basic search searches across chapter boundaries instead of the verse boundaries of a Bible search.
  • A Bible Browser search uses either verse or pericope boundaries (but isn't suitable for this search).
  • Syntax searches have boundaries based on syntactic structure (sentences, clauses, etc.).
  • A Morph Query search allows you to set a boundary of up to 5 verses.

Note that a morph query will also use verse boundaries.

So, in this case, a basic search will probably be best.

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 2:53 PM

Mark,

What constrains this (and means I can't use a syntax search) is the desire to look at the LXX. I believe the Morph Query Builder can take words or verses to set the scope (I built a search that did pick up Phil. 2 8-9 as a hit in the Morph Query Builder). I didn't know I could search for roots in a basic search...I'll take a look at that. This seems to be an obvious constraints that needs to be lifted....hopefully the Morph Query Builder is the tool to address it.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 2:57 PM

Clint Cozier:
I believe the Morph Query Builder can take words or verses to set the scope (I built a search that did pick up Phil. 2 8-9 as a hit in the Morph Query Builder).

Yes, I added that to my post as you were posting. It's up to five verses.

Clint Cozier:
I didn't know I could search for roots in a basic search...I'll take a look at that.

Just construct your search as a Bible or Morph search then switch to the basic search. Your syntax will be 'converted' if necessary.

Clint Cozier:
This seems to be an obvious constraints that needs to be lifted

We've been saying that since 2009, so don't hold your breath…

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 3:06 PM

Incidentally, in Logos NEAR means WITHIN 48 CHARS, which is too narrow to find the Philippians 2 reference, even in a basic search. So you'll need something like:

<Root = lbs/el/ταπεινος> WITHIN 150 CHARS <Root = lbs/el/υψος>

(You could also use WITHIN 30 WORDS, or similar.)

You can do a "By Resource" search to get the results in canonical order.

Posts 2058
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 5:50 PM

Very helpful.  Mark, you are a wealth of good thinking.

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 27 2017 6:02 PM

Thanks Mark, I wasn't aware that Logos would automatically make the needed changes to go from a Morph or Bible search to a basic search....that's great! I'd love more granularity in defining search scope, but this will work for now.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS