OT: Decline of the ebook

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 772
JRS | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 1 2017 8:04 AM

Read about it HERE.

But stay tuned ... the pendulum will swing back (it always does).

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 589
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 9:06 AM

Waning sums up my ebook buying. A Kindle book is fine for casual reading, but the format doesn't work well for commentaries, etc. Navigation is too clunky among other reasons.

Posts 366
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 9:36 AM

I personally buy more ebooks than regular books. My commentaries for the most part I buy in Logos. That is is not so "clunky" at least in my opinion.

Except for my language learning books.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 2183
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 10:04 AM

The law of supply and demand tells us then that ebook prices will probably drop. Great!

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 10:15 AM

I know this has been the trend in recent years, and it doesn't surprise me for a couple reasons:

• Sales of books, like other "consumables," are often "impulse" buys. Physical copies are easier to sell in that fashion. You SEE the book at Costco, Wal*Mart, Target, Grocery store, Gas Station, etc. Most people are more likely to see the books in this fashion, ergo more print sales.
  • The publishers aren't in the book creation business, they are in the printing business. eBooks really should not be the same price as a print copy, but alas, the publishers try to do so in many cases. They don't want competition from their "real" business. 

I, for one, have a strong aversion to print books and refuse to purchase many. There is a book right now that I really want, but it isn't available in a digital edition so I wait. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 10:18 AM

Jan Krohn:
The law of supply and demand tells us then that ebook prices will probably drop. Great!

Wrong. See my point #2 above.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 772
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 10:21 AM

In my admittedly non-expert opinion, I suspect what the ebook market is experiencing is a normal reaction to the exuberant over-purchasing associated with any new, gee-whiz, gotta-have-it-to-be-cool technology.  I think it also reflects human nature to seek attention by being a contrarian.  Once those predictables subside, users will adjust their purchasing habits based on a more rational criteria and the ebook market will calm down.

FWIW: My ebook buying criteria is basically as follows:

1) Overall goal as I grow older is to eliminate as many paper books as possible/reasonable

2) Latest Book Club lightweight/silly/eye-roll-and-a-groan title --> buy a cheapy Kindle version or Vyrso

3) Casual reading of personal interest --> any e-format from pdf to Logos/Vyrso

4) Serious Biblical study, research --> Logos (possibly, but reluctantly, WS), Logos PB, Vyrso

5) Quiet time/reflective Bible reading --> paper (and a recliner)

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 5240
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 10:21 AM

Ebook prices maybe... Logos works not likely.... Logos price are already under cut in many cases by other Bible software companies but they still maintain their prices and say the tagging is the reason why, even though some other software companies have nearly as well if not better tagging. The only way I ever see Logos dropping their prices is if they start loosing users in large numbers. My purchase today is a great example. I bought an entire collection of theological journals in Accordance for less than half the price of Bibliotheca Sacra in Logos format. Now it true the Galaxy collection only goes up to 2012, I am also not trying to say the Galaxie collection is as well tagged as Logos this I do not know, but buy 35 journals for $99 verses $224 for Bibliotheca Sacra with an additional 2 years, makes no sense to me. Now admittedly that is a sale price and it ends today, but even if i was paying the full $299 price it still makes more sense to buy in Accordance (unless one believed Bibliotheca Sacra was the only thing worth having in the set).

-Dan

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 10:31 AM

I d9nt see this as a definitive study on the issue.  I wonder what different sectors look like, fiction, academic, rwligous, etc.  

I went digital several years ago and with the rare, great ezception, won't buy a dead tree again.  

As for Logos being overpriced, I think they are.  However, it is difficult for veteran users like myself to leave $10k+ to another platform.  If there was a way to port similar to music into other formats, if probably look hard at it.

Posts 5240
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 1 2017 10:43 AM
Everett Headley:
As for Logos being overpriced, I think they are.  However, it is difficult for veteran users like myself to leave $10k+ to another platform.  If there was a way to port similar to music into other formats, if probably look hard at it.
I don't want anyone to leave Logos... But in the same way you likely own more than one paper Bible owning more than one Bible software is not hard. I admit I own 4 Olivetree Wordsearch Accordance and Faithlife. WS for me is virtually never used and am seriously thinking of selling it. The other three get used weekly... indeed Accordance and Faithlife daily. If you must have only one software go with the one that serves you best, for me I am happy to use more than one. But then it is sort of a way of making sure all my eggs are to in one basket either. If something happened to FL i think someone would rescue it from the ashes since it has a large user base.... but its nice to know for me personally that if somehow my substantial investment in FL books were rendered useless I still have Accordance with a smaller but good Library there. Indeed for me FL is the new partner since I have used Accordance much longer even though FL is for me still the larger library. -dan
Posts 2199
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 4 2017 2:55 PM

I have to admit that I have rarely tackled much on my Kindle app. Logos is totally different than the average e-Book app. Really no comparison.

Most of these articles are simply pulse tackers. Not a whole lot of research involved.

I still have a (shrinking) bound book library and there's no true substitute for a paper Bible in my life. Maybe it's ritual, but I still love a good Bible, fountain pen, notepad and index cards. More than anything else, reading and rereading scripture is still core. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1677
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 5 2017 4:17 AM

JRS:
reflects human nature to seek attention by being a contrarian.

Bingo.

International disambiguation:  "That's it"

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS