Linked highlights

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27
Victor Morrison | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 2 2017 9:34 AM

Is there a way to link highlights?

If I'm working on a project and want to highlight verses 14 and 19, but not verses 15-18, is there a way to make them ONE highlight rather than two?  I want to be able to lookup my highlights at a later date and know that I highlighted them as one passage.

Thanks for your help.

Vic

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 9:40 AM
Victor Morrison:
is there a way to make them ONE highlight rather than two?
You mean as "one (highlight) note," right? Have you tried editing the attachment points?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27
Victor Morrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 9:45 AM

I'd prefer not to use notes.  I want to be able to highlight one portion, then another and link them together so that I can see my train of thought in a certain area.

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 9:46 AM

I just tried to do so (I have not done that before), but likely came across what would be a deal breaker. 

It appears that you want to be able to highlight Part "A" and Part "C" WItHOUt Part "B" being highlighted... and for the Part "A" and "B" highlight to use the same "note." As far as I know, that isn't possible. 

You can, however, create a note which is attached to both part "A" and "B", you just wouldn't have a highlight on both (or either). 

Posts 25138
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 9:51 AM

Victor Morrison:

I'd prefer not to use notes.  I want to be able to highlight one portion, then another and link them together so that I can see my train of thought in a certain area.

Yes - but highlights are stored in Notes documents so you are able to use some of their capability.

In the example below I applied a highlight to verse 14 then - as Alabama suggested - I edited the attachment point for that note and added in verse 19 (I did that by selecting verse 19 in the text and then choosing "Attach to current selection" in the notes editor.

I think this gives you what you are looking for. If not please advise

And if you don't understand how to do some of these steps please advise

Posts 27
Victor Morrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 10:03 AM

I can do this in Notes, but I am looking for a simple/quick way to link highlights.  I have been highlighting my Bible with reference ideas (money, marriage, healing, YHWH, sin, discipleship, etc) and want to be able to search them at a later time.

Sometimes, a concept spans multiple verses, but not all verses pertain to that subject.  I am trying to find out if I can highlight the sections that pertain and leave out the part that doesn't.  That way, when I search my highlights, it will come up with only the verses that apply to that concept.

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 10:04 AM

For clarification Graham: Does the ONE highlight note contain the TWO highlights? If so, I couldn't figure that out. I did edit an attachment point, but couldn't figure out how to make the second highlight. 

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 10:06 AM

Victor Morrison:
I can do this in Notes, but I am looking for a simple/quick way to link highlights.

For clarification (We need to make sure we are using the same terms): You do understand that a highlight IS a note, right? You are wanting ONE highlight note to show TWO different highlights,right? If not, I don't have any clue what you mean by "linking" them. 

Posts 27
Victor Morrison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 10:10 AM

Oh, I now understand more clearly.  I've always considered highlights and notes as two separate items - one for quick reference and the other if I had something to say about the highlight.

I now understand how to "link" my highlights.

Thanks you both for the help.

Vic

Posts 25138
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 10:19 AM

alabama24:
For clarification Graham: Does the ONE highlight note contain the TWO highlights?

Yes it does

alabama24:
If so, I couldn't figure that out. I did edit an attachment point, but couldn't figure out how to make the second highlight.

You need to select the text to which you want to apply the second highlight - click and drag.

Then in the Notes document when editing the attachment points click "Attach to current selection"

Posts 29731
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 2 2017 10:28 AM

Yes Thanks Graham! 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS