Choice of Graphics Card

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 3 2017 3:52 AM

I want to buy a new laptop essentially for Logos/Verbum 6, but I may upgrade in the future. I was concerned about computer requirements, and a final issue exists - the choice of graphics. One possibility is NVIDIA GoForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, the other is Radeon R7 M445 Graphics 4G GDDR5. The NVIDIA may be a better card but the laptop with it is over $300 more expensive. Would the Radeon card be adequate for me  and a better option?

Thanks and regards.

Posts 2705
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 3 2017 9:06 AM

For all practical purposes, both are fine. The only reason you might want to get the more expensive option is if you use the laptop for other graphics intensive purposes. $300 buys a lot of Logos resources.Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 3 2017 9:48 AM

Noel, you may not need a graphics card to run Logos, depending on what on-board graphics processor your CPU comes with. So if I had to choose how to spend my money on a laptop for Logos, I'd look for an SSD, a recent i7 quad core CPU (speeds up searches and indexing), a higher resolutions screen, and 16 GB of RAM before I'd think of spending extra money on a graphics card. There was a time when on-board graphics was so weak that you really did want a separate graphics card. Unless you are doing gaming on the laptop or graphics intensive work, you can go the least expensive route. If you are unsure, go for the cheaper graphics card that is available.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2705
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 3 2017 12:00 PM

Mark's right. One other thing is if you want to plug in a monitor where a card might help a bit. My thought about having a card is that it frees the CPU to use all the onboard RAM while the card RAM does its thing for graphics. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS