Chinese Bible (CUV) parsing issue

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Michael Su | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 7 2017 1:50 AM

Hi,

I have a question regarding with the method of Chinese character parsing with CUV.  I think the reason CUV searches are unreliable is due to the character parsing method.  Some words in CUV are 2 characters in a string while others are only 1 character at a time.  This is more evident when you play around with the verse memorization feature in the passage list using CUV.  When I type some Chinese characters together without a space in between it is miss, but some instances are a hit.  Is it possible to parse every Chinese character in CUV separate?  It doesn't seem to be the problem on some of the Chinese online Bible websites when each Chinese character is parsed separately.

Or perhaps there is a workaround such as using special search symbols?

Posts 1186
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 7 2017 8:43 PM

Michael,

Do you have a specific example for unreliable search you mentioned?

By the way

• Which Chinese Bible you use? The Chinese Bible with Reversed Interlinear provides interesting options to search based on original language word.
  • If you want to explicitly search for a specific Chinese string, use quotes ""
  • There are some earlier discussions on searching in the forum too, including  https://community.logos.com/forums/t/127745.aspx 

Smile

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Mid 2014 2.5GHz RAM:16GB SSD:512GB macOS Catalina 10.15.2 | iPhone Xs Max iOS 13.3

Posts 2
Michael Su | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 7 2017 10:35 PM

LimJK,

This is the Verse Memorization issue I'm talking about.  Some Chinese characters are 2 together but some are only 1 character at a time.  You could tell by the below screenshot that my first and second and third Chinese characters are marked wrong because I did not parse the first and second character.

So I think the parsing system in CUV (Shenti) is inconsistent.  Some words are parsed 1 at a time, but some are parsed 2 in a string.

Posts 1186
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 8 2017 2:16 AM

Michael Su:

This is the Verse Memorization issue I'm talking about.  

Some Chinese characters are 2 together but some are only 1 character at a time.  You could tell by the below screenshot that my first and second and third Chinese characters are marked wrong because I did not parse the first and second character.

Sorry, not familiar with the Verse Memorization issue with Chinese Bible ... I will leave it to someone from Logos to comment. From your screenshots I can see that you are using the CUV (Shangti) (Traditional) version with RVI Yes

Michael Su:

So I think the parsing system in CUV (Shenti) is inconsistent.  Some words are parsed 1 at a time, but some are parsed 2 in a string.

I picked a COMPOUND WORD in the next verse 1 John 2:18 “小子們”, noticed on the 3 searches on the left where I search one CHAR at a time, it actually get positive hits for the respective single CHAR in the verse. This shows that Logos parsed and indexed each and every word (sounds logical?). But how Logos treat compound words, I still have not fully understood. For now, whenever I am looking for "multi-CHAR words", I always do it as a string search in quotes "".

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Mid 2014 2.5GHz RAM:16GB SSD:512GB macOS Catalina 10.15.2 | iPhone Xs Max iOS 13.3

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS