Include and Summarize Interpretational Ambiguity in the FSB

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 12 2017 9:28 AM

A couple of times recently, I've encountered interpretational dissonance with the FSB (Faithlife Study Bible) and some commentaries I've looked at.

One example is in John 2:1 "the third day." There is a range of understanding about what John meant here. The FSB takes this one way ("two days after the call of Philip and Nathanael"), while commentaries are divided on this option, or the third day in sequence after Jesus' baptism (1:35: "the next day" being day one; 1:43 "the next day" being day two; and 2:1 "the third day" being the day following). It would be helpful if the FSB included the latter as an option, as it seems the most natural reading (in English), even though, after studying the issue, I would agree with the FSB's conclusion.

Another example, and one I think is both more interesting and more serious, is the conclusion the FSB draws in 2:14-22 (in the blocked text), that there is only one temple cleansing, and that John locates the cleansing here in his gospel "Based on John's preference for arranging chronology to suit his theological purpose..." Thankfully, the article links to the NICNT (Leon Morris) and the PNTC (D.A. Carson), which disagree with the FSB's conclusion! (though the PNTC is less certain than the NICNT).

My suggestion is that the FSB include and summarize alternate, and even opposing conclusions, when such are held by reputable commentators. This would promote study, and avoid the usage of the FSB as an excuse to not dig into interesting ambiguities in the text.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 413
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 12 2017 5:13 PM

Yes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 13 2017 9:19 AM

Rich DeRuiter:
My suggestion is that the FSB include and summarize alternate, and even opposing conclusions, when such are held by reputable commentators. This would promote study, and avoid the usage of the FSB as an excuse to not dig into interesting ambiguities in the text.

+1 Yes

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2690
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 13 2017 2:13 PM

Yes

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS