What's the quickest way from text to map

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 13 2017 5:56 PM

Hiya, 

As I read though my library I would love to quickly jump to a map to show me where a particular place being described is located (for example, Sidon or Giliad. At the moment I copy the place name into a search and then look down the search for a map in media. Is there a quicker way of doing this sort of thing ? It would be lovely to just do this with a click of the mouse so I can go and have a look and then come back to the job in hand rather than spend a couple of minutes of effort doing what I am doing which breaks the flow of my main task. 

Thanks, 

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 13 2017 6:03 PM

I think I've got it :-) I open a search and set it to search media, I then drag the word into the seach box and out comes the map :-) 

Posts 2082
LogosEmployee

If you are reading the Bible, you can also put your Bible and the Atlas tool in a common link set, and the Atlas will automatically show maps that correspond to the passage you are reading.

Posts 5013
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 14 2017 4:02 AM

Automatically is a little bit optimistic. I would not recommend this approach to anyone. Atlas tool requires an extrememly fast internet connection otherwise trying to use it brings the program to a halt and you get the application is not responding issue at which point you pray it will recover rather than crash on you. Added to that serious limitation is the further limitation that the map set is incomplete and there is not a map for every passage where a biblical place is mentioned this method is actually quite hit and miss.

lf you want to use the atlas tool you are better off simply right clicking on the place name on the left hand, it is usually found below the lemma etc entries on the left hand side and choosing atlas on the right hand side. 

If you want to search all of your resources, instead of clicking on Altas click on search this resource and when search window opens, switch over to media search to find all maps in the atlas and your library of resources that include that place name - this is my preferred approach.

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

If you are reading the Bible, you can also put your Bible and the Atlas tool in a common link set, and the Atlas will automatically show maps that correspond to the passage you are reading.

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 14 2017 4:13 AM

Dave, another options is the biblical places section in the Passage Guide or Explorer. Explorer is faster, but not customizable.Link them together with your Bible.

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 14 2017 3:01 PM

Thanks very much to you all on this one. I'm going to go off and give all of these a try and see which works best in different situations. I appreciate you taking the time to share these with me so thank you :-)

Posts 1633
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 15 2017 10:57 AM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
Automatically is a little bit optimistic. I would not recommend this approach to anyone. Atlas tool requires an extrememly fast internet connection

Agreed. The Atlas is generally unusable for me.

Disciple of Christ (doc):
lf you want to use the atlas tool you are better off simply right clicking on the place name on the left hand, it is usually found below the lemma etc entries on the left hand side and choosing atlas on the right hand side. 

Agreed, but this is also woefully inadequate in my experience. Years ago I posted 10 examples where it didn't work usefully for me. It's the same today. I must say that the lack of adequate tagging of locations to bring up relevant maps for the place in the right period is one of the biggest disappointments I have with Logos. It must be possible to tag this on the original languages so it works with any translation that supports interlinear.

As it is, I find I'm better off choosing my preferred Bible Atlas tools and finding the place manually.

Posts 82
Kristine Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 15 2017 11:18 AM

If you are reading the Bible, John Brumett prepared personal book files with Scripture references for Logos map resources, discussed and linked in this thread:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/132032.aspx?PageIndex=1

I made personal books of his relevant files, and included them in a Bible Geography collection along with all my Logos map resources, including Nelson, Holman and Rose resources.  I made a custom guide including only this collection, titled Bible Geography, and keep it open all the time in a panel with the same linkset as my scripture panel.  It is not perfect, but gives me choices for each scripture passage so I can quickly find and open a relevant map resource.

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 15 2017 2:52 PM

Kristine Lewis:

If you are reading the Bible, John Brumett prepared personal book files with Scripture references for Logos map resources, discussed and linked in this thread:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/132032.aspx?PageIndex=1

I made personal books of his relevant files, and included them in a Bible Geography collection along with all my Logos map resources, including Nelson, Holman and Rose resources.  I made a custom guide including only this collection, titled Bible Geography, and keep it open all the time in a panel with the same linkset as my scripture panel.  It is not perfect, but gives me choices for each scripture passage so I can quickly find and open a relevant map resource.

that looks great, I'll have a look now. Thanks for letting me know

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 24 2017 6:27 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

I read this post a while back and decided to give your suggestion a try. I just wanted to say that I have found this to be a great way to do my daily Bible reading and it really has not been a problem at all. Thanks for the tip. I would recommend this to others as well if you have a decent internet connection.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3675
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 24 2017 10:02 PM

Whenever you encounter the name of a place in a Bible text, right-click on the word, look for the "place" tag on the right pane of the context menu, click on it, and then click on Atlas from the left. This only works if the place is referenced in the Atlas which is not always (but often) the case. 

Alternatively, and in non-Bible resources as well, you can simply right-click on the name of a place and open the Topic Guide from the context menu. This will have links to the Atlas and the Media collections that include maps.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS