Windows Store Support

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10
James Jordan | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 16 2017 6:25 AM

Sorry if this has been asked but I did a few searches and didn't see it. With the new Windows 10 S OS launching soon and the possibility that some will live in that ecosystem alone and not be able to install Logos by executable, is there any news as to whether the team is planning to place Logos in the Windows Store?

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 6:41 AM

I'll be interested to see if you get a FL response, but the likely answer is "no." Microsoft is copying a feature of macOS, but FL has never submitted the app to the Mac App Store. The likely reason this won't happen is that FL updates the app regularly. The gap between submission, review and release would be too long. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2287
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 8:21 AM

Interest in this seems to be close to zero.

https://www.logos.com/product/50060/windows-universal-bible-app

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 8:42 AM

Jan Krohn:

Interest in this seems to be close to zero.

https://www.logos.com/product/50060/windows-universal-bible-app

That app in particular was for worthless windows tablets like the Windows Surface RT sitting dusty on my desk.  That Tablet exclusively depends on curated processor specific apps in the windows store.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 10
James Jordan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 9:03 AM

That's not an apples to apples comparison for a number of reasons Jan.

First, that CP was not for a full featured Logos app. It was a weak attempt to make the users pay for product development to run Logos on an RT type device, a device which must be noted had abysmal user support from the get go. I get that several people wanted it bad enough to buy in and invest, but that entire CP was doomed from the start. 

Secondly, I suspect this time around is going to be different with Windows 10 S. We've also come a long way in recent years with additional cyber threats, the need to secure software, and the divide between power users and a regular PC user. The Windows 10 OS ecosystem makes sense now and I can think of lots of users it will be perfect for. The beauty of Windows 10 S is that it can run on the same hardware as 10 Pro so a user can simply upgrade if they want to down the line. That wasn't the case with RT which ran on ARM and limited the user if they hated the OS. There will be a greater buy in for people who start with a Windows 10 S device and think they will upgrade but find that Windows 10 S fits their needs. For right or wrong, the beauty of the app store craze is that it shows just about anyone can produce an app and have it published. Companies that refuse to support that model wont be applauded for staying the course, they will be seen as dinosaurs.

Thirdly, the launch of that CP was previous to the announcement that Windows would be launching an entire OS that will only run Windows Store apps. Whether we like it or not, that represents a huge announcement and gives us insight into how Microsoft is thinking about product development. That should cause a shift in the way FL begins to plan and develop their app. I fully understand many will simply say "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" and for now this is the solution. However, I would like to see a statement about what the future road map looks like for Logos now that Microsoft has tipped their hat at what theirs look like.

Posts 10
James Jordan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 9:10 AM

alabama24:

I'll be interested to see if you get a FL response, but the likely answer is "no." Microsoft is copying a feature of macOS, but FL has never submitted the app to the Mac App Store. The likely reason this won't happen is that FL updates the app regularly. The gap between submission, review and release would be too long.

Thanks for the response. Copy is a strong word. Let's call it borrowed heavily! In seriousness, though, the macOS implementation of this allows you to use outside apps. The app store was merely A way to get an app. The difference in Windows 10 S is that the Windows Store is THE way to get apps. There is no other way without an upgrade. That's a big difference.

Regarding app updates, I think you are right in current implementation. However, if the decision was made to switch to a store based app you would write the application and update in a different way. There are lots of apps that update as frequently or more frequently, they just do it differently and rarely make changes to the structure that would cause Windows Store / App Store reapproval. I think the response you gave is a valid one, but also an excuse that can be easily overcome.

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

James Jordan:
is there any news as to whether the team is planning to place Logos in the Windows Store?

We are not currently investigating this. There are probably technical limitations that make it impractical for Logos 7.

Furthermore, a quick scan of the Windows Store Policies turns up a few items that our application would currently violate:

• 10.2.1: Apps that browse the web must use the appropriate HTML and JavaScript engines provided by the Windows Platform. We use a non-Microsoft embedded web browser to show Community Notes and some other online content; it's not clear to me whether this counts as "browsing the web" or not.
  • 10.8.1: Your app may enable users to consume previously purchased digital content or services, but must not direct users to a purchase mechanism other than the Windows Store in-app purchase API. We have hyperlinks in the software to buy books at logos.com; we're not going to convert our entire online catalogue to in-app purchases.

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 9:44 AM

James Jordan:
Copy is a strong word.

I changed it from "stole." Stick out tongue

James Jordan:
the macOS implementation of this allows you to use outside apps. The app store was merely A way to get an app. The difference in Windows 10 S is that the Windows Store is THE way to get apps. There is no other way without an upgrade. That's a big difference.

I'm not sure of the distinction you are making. The current behavior on Mac is to either allow only apps from the App Store OR to allow apps from the App Store & identified developers. No software can be installed on Mac outside of those parameters without an administrator username & password being entered. 

Posts 21867
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 9:56 AM

alabama24:
No software can be installed on Mac outside of those parameters without an administrator username & password being entered. 

So does this mean to install Logos on a Mac you need to supply admin credentials?

If so, I think the difference would be that on Windows 10 S you can't do that - apps need to be available in the store, there are no alternative installation options.

But, with Bradley's comments above, this is probably not going to go anywhere on Windows anyway.

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 10:12 AM

Graham Criddle:
So does this mean to install Logos on a Mac you need to supply admin credentials?

Yes, and you have to have it set to the second option, else it won't install at all. 

Graham Criddle:
I think the difference would be that on Windows 10 S you can't do that - apps need to be available in the store

I read that this was going to be a trial option. Did you read else wise ?

Posts 21867
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 11:10 AM

alabama24:
I read that this was going to be a trial option. Did you read else wise ?

From what I have seen the linkage of apps to the store seems to be a stated feature not just a trial - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4020089/windows-10-s-faq has an example of this.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 16 2017 4:41 PM

Graham Criddle:
From what I have seen the linkage of apps to the store seems to be a stated feature not just a trial - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4020089/windows-10-s-faq has an example of this.

Question "What is Windows 10 S ?"

Windows 10 S FAQ:

Windows 10 S is a specific configuration of Windows 10 Pro that offers a familiar, productive Windows experience that’s streamlined for security and performance. By exclusively using apps in the Windows Store and ensuring that you browse safely with Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 S keeps you running fast and secure day in and day out.  

For more information, please refer to this page.

Appears using Microsoft Edge with Logos Web App or Verbum Web App will be the only way to access your library on Windows 10 S, which requires online connectivity.

alabama24:

Graham Criddle:

Yes, and you have to have it set to the second option, else it won't install at all. 

Believe mac OS admin credentials depend on copy destination for Logos/Verbum application bundle. Copying into system Applications folder that can be used by all users needs credentials (each user would have their own application database files and resources). In contrast, copying application bundle into your documents does not (aka Windows default installation).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS