Catena Aurea – The Golden Chain (Community Pricing)

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:23 AM

I am staggered that this resource has not sprinted into PrePub. Is it the Latin title that puts people off?

It shouldn't. It isn't in Latin. It was translated by John Henry Newman who wrote the famous hymn Praise to the holiest in the height. Newman's command of English was masterly (we studied his Apologia Pro Vita Sua in our English literature course at the University of St. Andrews in the 1960s), so this is not a stilted translation, but a piece of real literature. Nevertheless, Newman doesn't hide the real gold in Aquinas' work – he polishes it.

Here's what Wikipedia says about it.

catena (from Latin catena, a chain) is a form of biblical commentary, verse by verse, made up entirely of excerpts from earlier Biblical commentators, each introduced with the name of the author, and with such minor adjustments of words to allow the whole to form a continuous commentary. … The most famous of the medieval Latin compilations of this kind is that of Thomas Aquinas, generally known as the Catena Aurea (Golden Catena) and containing excerpts from some eighty Greek and Latin commentators on the Gospels.

Aquinas was a real forerunner of the Reformation. "Thomas Aquinas has also profoundly influenced the history of Protestantism. He wrote prolifically on the relationship between faith and reason, as well as the theological and philosophical issues which defined the Reformation."

All this can be yours for a measly $20 for all 8 volumes with Logos searchability and integration into your library all thrown in as well.

If you need more persuading have a look at the link. http://www.logos.com/communitypricing/details/5216

Put in a bid. You'll be glad you did!

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 37
Justin Gill | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:28 AM

Exactly! I can't wait till we get it over the line.

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:47 AM

OK I'm in!

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:52 AM

Alan Macgregor:

I am staggered that this resource has not sprinted into PrePub. Is it the Latin title that puts people off?

It shouldn't. It isn't in Latin. It was translated by John Henry Newman who wrote the famous hymn Praise to the holiest in the height. Newman's command of English was masterly (we studied his Apologia Pro Vita Sua in our English literature course at the University of St. Andrews in the 1960s), so this is not a stilted translation, but a piece of real literature. Nevertheless, Newman doesn't hide the real gold in Aquinas' work – he polishes it.

Here's what Wikipedia says about it.

catena (from Latin catena, a chain) is a form of biblical commentary, verse by verse, made up entirely of excerpts from earlier Biblical commentators, each introduced with the name of the author, and with such minor adjustments of words to allow the whole to form a continuous commentary. … The most famous of the medieval Latin compilations of this kind is that of Thomas Aquinas, generally known as the Catena Aurea (Golden Catena) and containing excerpts from some eighty Greek and Latin commentators on the Gospels.

Aquinas was a real forerunner of the Reformation. "Thomas Aquinas has also profoundly influenced the history of Protestantism. He wrote prolifically on the relationship between faith and reason, as well as the theological and philosophical issues which defined the Reformation."

All this can be yours for a measly $20 for all 8 volumes with Logos searchability and integration into your library all thrown in as well.

If you need more persuading have a look at the link. http://www.logos.com/communitypricing/details/5216

Put in a bid. You'll be glad you did!

Alan,  thanks for pushing this.  It really is a tremendous value for the price.  I think people just do not know very much about it or it would have been published by now.  It will ge there!

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:58 AM

I wonder,

how would this compare to the ACC series by Oden?  (certainly cheaper as a CP!)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:17 AM

I have some Oden & Hall in print and found them helpful but they are far from seamless, whereas Catena is that – a chain of integrated references. Obviously, Catena is not as technical nor as exhaustive, because Aquinas didn't have the Latin and Greek databases that Oden & Hall had access, particularly TLG (Thesaurus Linguae Graecae). But c'mon, Dan, this is worth having in its own right, written by someone who was steeped in Latin – he thought and wrote and spoke in Latin and he lived 800 years nearer the writings he was using than Oden and Hall. If you've looked at the sample pages you'll get a feel of what I am getting at. Just read this over on the Parable of the Wedding Banquet in MAtthew 22.

Don't get me wrong, Oden and Hall are very good but Aquinas is a standout.

Every blessing

Alan

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 20
William Baptiste SFO | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:46 AM

May the Grace and Peace of Jesus be with you all on Logos Forums!

Jesus, the Living Word of God dwelt richly in the hearts of the Early Church Fathers who by His Spirit helped clarify and define the fundamentals of Christian faith in the early centuries of  Christianity.  This "Golden Chain" of their commentary upon the Written Word of God in the Gospels is a precious family heirloom of God's Adopted Family the Church, which deserves to be read together with newer commentaries as we, their younger brothers and sisters in Christ, study the Written Word of God they loved and studied so much from their vantage point so near the beginnings of our faith.

I am excited that it looks like this "Golden Chain"  should soon go into production.  I encourage all who are "on the fence" to place their bid now to ensure this happens.

May the LORD bless and keep all of you in His Love.

Glory be to Jesus Christ!  Glory be Forever!

-- brotherunity@ymail.com -- http://christian-unity-in-diversity.ourchur.ch/

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 12:55 PM

Dan DeVilder:

I wonder,

Oden and Hall are 20th century theologians, to me the appeal of the Aquinas book is that the early Church Fathers whose writing comprise the Catena are all within a generation, two at most from Jesus himself!  What they write and believe is about as close to first hand as we can get outside the Bible.  By the same way that it's nice to have Bibles in original languages and which try hard to preserve literal translation so 21st century readers can discern on their own what the original author really meant, I think Catena provides the same opportunity to pick the brain of the earliest Christian theologians that we have access to.

This book is quite an opportunity for us, a bargain even at $40 if you ask me.

Posts 18703
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:11 PM

Jonathan West:

OK I'm in!

Yay! And there was much rejoicing in heaven...

Come on everyone else -- just $20 for this excellent set of 8 volumes. That's less than $3 per volume. It's what you might pay for a dinner out at a restaurant. Skip the fancy meal and dig into some real meat of gospel commentary by our esteemed forbears, the Church Fathers.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:18 PM

Dominick Sela:

Dan DeVilder:

I wonder,

Oden and Hall are 20th century theologians, to me the appeal of the Aquinas book is that the early Church Fathers whose writing comprise the Catena are all within a generation, two at most from Jesus himself!  What they write and believe is about as close to first hand as we can get outside the Bible.  By the same way that it's nice to have Bibles in original languages and which try hard to preserve literal translation so 21st century readers can discern on their own what the original author really meant, I think Catena provides the same opportunity to pick the brain of the earliest Christian theologians that we have access to.

This book is quite an opportunity for us, a bargain even at $40 if you ask me.

just to push the limits here: Aquinas was not within 2 generations.  Maybe those he quoted were, certainly within 1 or 2 centuries, maybe 3 or 4.  But the ACC series also quotes those guys, doesn't it?  That was my point.  They quote the early fathers . . . and what they say on passages.  But not knowing either very well (ACC or Catena), it seems to me that Aquinas' work should be at least as good, if not better: cheaper, put together by an expert, one who was closer in time to them, etc.  But I don't know: does he have more quotes?  Does ACC?  Do they pull from different periods?  I guess I could look this up.  Just wondering if someone had a quick answer.  I have ordered Catena Aurea, regardless.  Yes

Posts 2413
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:21 PM

We hope that every reference gets linked to the writings of the 'Fathers' so we can read the short comment in context.

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:26 PM

David Ames:

We hope that every reference gets linked to the writings of the 'Fathers' so we can read the short comment in context.

I would like to see this great resources as a multi-volume commentary, in the commentary section of the passage guide and linked to the passage of the NT that we are reading. How useful it would be to see what Chrysostom, Augustine, Anselm, etc. made of a particular passage, as we delve into the Word, seeking to break the bread to feed our souls! Ah!

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:43 PM

Dan DeVilder:

just to push the limits here: Aquinas was not within 2 generations.  Maybe those he quoted were, certainly within 1 or 2 centuries, maybe 3 or 4.  But the ACC series also quotes those guys, doesn't it?  That was my point.  They quote the early fathers . . . and what they say on passages.  But not knowing either very well (ACC or Catena), it seems to me that Aquinas' work should be at least as good, if not better: cheaper, put together by an expert, one who was closer in time to them, etc.  But I don't know: does he have more quotes?  Does ACC?  Do they pull from different periods?  I guess I could look this up.  Just wondering if someone had a quick answer.  I have ordered Catena Aurea, regardless.  Yes

Aquinas didn't really write the text, is my understanding, he compiled it from ECF writings.  That's what I was referring to, the ECF were within 2 generations.  From what I have seen on the Internet, the text is not Aquinas' (although he is no lightweight eitherSmile

Posts 26763
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:49 PM

Dan DeVilder:

ACC has headings on each excerpt from the Fathers, in effect leading one to a particular interpretation of the text. Aquinas lets the Fathers stand on their own. ACC seems to me, although I have not objectively tested it, to be less willing to include "discredited" views of Church Fathers. Both have their place. I was excited when the first volumes of the ACC came out - they represent a major step towards being able to discuss theological issues understanding what each side means by a term.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:56 PM

After all the arm twisting...count me in too!

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:14 PM

Dominick Sela:
Aquinas didn't really write the text, is my understanding, he compiled it from ECF writings.

Yes, that is undoubtedly true but don't underestimate the job that Aquinas did – a job that few could have done in his day – and a job that has taken until this point when we have computerised databases to search, as Oden and Hall acknowledge. Aquinas was undoubtedly selective, and like the best of editors he let his sources do the talking, but (and it is a big but) he placed them in the order he did to arrange an exquisite work of scholarship which has stood the test of time.

This text is not just an historical curiosity, a representative of a school of commentary, in both Greek and Latin traditions, which ran for the best part of six hundred years in its period of finest flowering. This resource is a living commentary of how the scriptures were read and understood by people who, because they were closer culturally to the human writers of the New Testament, had insights which will be immensely valuable to us, as we seek to understand and immerse ourselves in the Word of God.

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 145
Darcy S. Van Horn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:30 PM

OK.  I'm in too.  Thanks, Alan, for the push!

Blessings.

Posts 18703
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:31 PM

Alan Macgregor:

This text is not just an historical curiosity, a representative of a school of commentary, in both Greek and Latin traditions, which ran for the best part of six hundred years in its period of finest flowering. This resource is a living commentary of how the scriptures were read and understood by people who, because they were closer culturally to the human writers of the New Testament, had insights which will be immensely valuable to us, as we seek to understand and immerse ourselves in the Word of God.

Alan, this is a great testament to the value of this work. Thanks! I'm already in, but looking foward to it going into production. Let's keep pushing.

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:36 PM

Alan Macgregor:

I'm not sure how I sprinted over the Latin title but I've been in this since December '09. Another way to get it into prepub is to increase our bids to $30!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:44 PM

Dave Hooton:

Alan Macgregor:

I'm not sure how I sprinted over the Latin title but I've been in this since December '09. Another way to get it into prepub is to increase our bids to $30!

that is where mine is at.  Honestly, $40 would be fine with me, too.

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS