N.T. Wright series pre-pub shipping 4/12/10 - get it for 30% off while you still can

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:52 PM

Christian Origins and the Question of God Series (N.T. Wright)

NT Wright is an excellent NT scholar (what an appropriate name he has) and these books are a must for any serious NT student's library. The product description page has all the info you need to make an informed decision, so I won't repeat any of it here.

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:13 PM

Thanks Rosie. This "head's up" is greatly appreciated.  Smile

Posts 1672
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:38 PM

YES! Expected release date is April 12.

Good value. Good author.

The wait is almost over.  :-)

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:33 AM

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/14314.aspx

hey rosie, i hadn't seen your little thread when I did mine--but we are on the same wave length!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 10:46 AM

I recently finished Wright's book Justification: God's Plan and Paul's Vision.  This was my first exposure to Wright and frankly it soured me.  His name may be Wright but he's wrong about Romans and justification.  I hope his other works are better than this one but I'm not spending the money to find out!  

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 11:16 AM

Richard Crampton:

I recently finished Wright's book Justification: God's Plan and Paul's Vision.  This was my first exposure to Wright and frankly it soured me.  His name may be Wright but he's wrong about Romans and justification.  I hope his other works are better than this one but I'm not spending the money to find out!  

I'm looking forward to Wright's books in L4 format. While I don't agree with him on his views of justification, his work on the resurrection is outstanding. And even where we disagree with someone, I find it's good to have to think through why we disagree. Once or twice I've actually had to change my position (but don't tell my wife I admitted that). Big Smile

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 1672
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 8:34 PM

Don't let that experience prevent you from gaining Wright's experience in historical Jesus studies, Richard.

He's certainly made himself unpopular in some quarters by daring to suggest a different view of what Paul is saying about justification, but you would be missing out if you didn't even examine his gospel studies too.

Posts 1358
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:38 AM

Last chance to save $40 on almost 2100 pages of excellent material.

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5223

Rosie Perera:

Christian Origins and the Question of God Series (N.T. Wright)

NT Wright is an excellent NT scholar (what an appropriate name he has) and these books are a must for any serious NT student's library. The product description page has all the info you need to make an informed decision, so I won't repeat any of it here.

Posts 1358
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 12:32 PM

Last day to order pre-pub

Posts 2977
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 12:50 PM

Richard Crampton:

Richard, I'm very glad for your response to the NT Wright's view on Justification (New Perspective on Paul). There is so much good about his work, but he is most dangerous when he is talking about the most important thing in all of Christianity, namely, the gospel. WIth that being said, and with that concern known, NT Wright isn't to be avoided on all subjects. On "Historical Jesus"-type stuff, he is very good and this collection looks like a very good resource even for those who are incredibly disappointed, frustrated, or even angered at his treatment of justification

You might like to read Piper's Future of Justification which is a well written rebuttal to Wright's perspective. YOu can download it free at http://www.desiringgod.org/media/pdf/books_bfj/books_bfj.pdf (SUGG: Logos, please make this book available). You may also be interested in http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/JSTGODPIPERhttp://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/COUNTDRGHTS, and Carson's (ed) Right with God: Justification in the Bible and the World available in http://www.logos.com/products/details/2069

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 88
Nancy A. Almodovar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:16 PM

i hate wasting money on those who try to destroy the great doctrines of Scripture.  So, instead i'm going to my public library for these (oh and that would be NY Public Library in Manhattan so I know they have them).  There are many good refutations of Wright and I agree in the summation of his work on justification, his name just doesn't fit.  However, in other areas he is very good.  I'm not sure how far off he'll go now that he has "walked the Tiber" on this issue.

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 6:09 AM

wow, all this anger makes me think I need to read his stuff very soon and see what all the fuss is about. 

Even IF he is wrong about "second temple judaism" . . . how has he maligned the gospel?  (this is a serious question from one who is only starting to dabble in the "New Perspective")  It would seem at best that he changes the way we may talk about it, but certainly not its "good-newsness" or the centrality of Christ for salvation.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 6:46 AM

Dan DeVilder:

wow, all this anger makes me think I need to read his stuff very soon and see what all the fuss is about. 

Even IF he is wrong about "second temple judaism" . . . how has he maligned the gospel?  (this is a serious question from one who is only starting to dabble in the "New Perspective")  It would seem at best that he changes the way we may talk about it, but certainly not its "good-newsness" or the centrality of Christ for salvation.

I don't know much about the NP either, but as far as I can tell, he isn't undermining the doctrine of justification. He's just saying that what Paul was up against in the Judaism of his time was not what we've previously thought he was up against. It doesn't mean Wright thinks that what Paul ultimately said about Christ was different from what we've believed all along that he said, but that he was defending the faith against a different kind of obstacle than what we'd thought. I'm definitely going to have to go read him now with all this fuss over it.

Posts 23643
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 7:13 AM

Wright then wrote "Justification" which from the preface is an "initial response" to Piper's book!

Both books are excellent reading and give good insights into where each of them is coming from.

One of the things which encouraged me was the way in which each of them - while clearly disagreeing with each other - referred to the other in a Christian and courteous way.

I think it would be useful if Logos were able to publish both books - maybe as a bundle! - so that both sides of the discussion could be readily seen and compared.

Graham 

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 7:40 AM

Graham Criddle:

Wright then wrote "Justification" which from the preface is an "initial response" to Piper's book!

Oh, wow! I've just read the pages of chapter 1 that are available in the preview on that big book site, and I'm hooked. I wish I had the rest of the book in Logos format already, but alas I'll have to wait for it. I might just have to order it in dead tree form for now.

Posts 1672
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 8:10 AM

Rosie, I'm sure you want to read the original, but I bought Douglas Moo's Encountering the Book of Romans in the March Madness sale ($16.24.)

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but the blurb says:

Moo begins his study with a clear, concise, and helpful survey of the two broad contemporary options for understanding Romans: the “Reformation approach” and the “new perspective approach.” He encourages students to decide which approach best fits with the actual teaching of the letter, and as a help in this process, often indicates how the two opposing views would interpret key texts.

Posts 8654
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 8:35 AM

Graham Criddle:
I think it would be useful if Logos were able to publish both books - maybe as a bundle! - so that both sides of the discussion could be readily seen and compared.
This would be a great pattern for presenting many issues - a "both sides" bundle.
Allen Browne:
Douglas Moo's Encountering the Book of Romans in the March Madness sale ($16.24.)

Sadly that sale ended yesterday I think.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS