Am I Misunderstanding How Journals Work?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 22 2017 2:04 PM

Hello all, looking for some clarification.  I have Journals in a Passage Guide, but find that it does not populate often when I'm searching through scripture references.  On the other hand, I have a Collection of Journals and Magazines that often gives me tons of hits.  

I'm not sure why one would give results while the other (seemingly the same collection of resources) would not.  Am I misunderstanding how it works?

Running a Passage Guide on the Fruit of the Spirit/Flesh = No Results in Journals; 132 Results in a Custom Journal Collection. Huh?  

Thanks for the insight!

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 2070
LogosEmployee

The Collections section searches your collection for every place where the current reference appears. The Journals section searches your journals for all articles which have been manually tagged with that reference as a key reference. It's the difference between an article that just mentions a reference and an article about that reference.

Posts 370
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 22 2017 2:48 PM

That's good information.

Thanks.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 22 2017 4:53 PM

Interesting! I see the difference now.

Are they tagged to scripture references or topics as well?

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 2070
LogosEmployee

Richard Villanueva:

Interesting! I see the difference now.

Are they tagged to scripture references or topics as well?

Check the Journal Article section of the Searchable Labels part of the help file for details on the Journal tagging. Note also that the Journals section is available in the Topic Guide.

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 22 2017 9:17 PM

Sweet! I'll check it out. Thanks so much!

Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 25 2017 7:55 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

The Collections section searches your collection for every place where the current reference appears. The Journals section searches your journals for all articles which have been manually tagged with that reference as a key reference. It's the difference between an article that just mentions a reference and an article about that reference.

So can someone offer the best way to use our Journals?  I have not done anything except tag all my resources, in this case "Journal".  But I have noticed that I have never seen one of my journals populate a find during searches for topics or Scripture references.  So what should I do to make sure I am utilizing my resources to the max?

Posts 21878
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 25 2017 8:18 AM

Michael S.:
But I have noticed that I have never seen one of my journals populate a find during searches for topics or Scripture references.  So what should I do to make sure I am utilizing my resources to the max?

A couple of examples...

On the left I am showing Journals appearing in a Topic Search (you need to ensure that the Journals section is enabled in the Guide - please ask if you don't know how to do that) while on the right I am showing searching for a particular Bible passage in the titles of journal articles

What sort of searches have you been trying

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS