Apostolic Fathers Interlinear?

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 26 2010 1:22 AM

OK folks we have a great resource n pre-pub that is very close to contract!  The Apostolic Fathers Greek-English Interlinear!

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6091

Wouldn't it be nice to have an Interlinear on some of these early documents? This book is done by Logos' Rick Brannan. 

• 1 Clement
  • 2 Clement
  • Epistles of Ignatius
    • To the Ephesians
    • To the Magnesians
    • To the Trallians
    • To the Romans
    • To the Philadelphians
    • To the Smyrnaeans
    • To Polycarp
  • The Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians
  • The Didache
  • The Epistle of Barnabas
  • The Shepherd of Hermas
  • The Martyrdom of Polycarp
  • The Epistle to Diognetus

Posts 19315
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 1:42 AM

OK, I hadn't ordered this because I don't know Greek. But I might learn it someday (I really would like to) and I might kick myself for not having ordered this when I could. So I'm in. It's very close! And my order seemed to make a perceptible difference. I bet the production cost on this one is fairly low because it's being done in-house, and is probably in progress already, or they wouldn't be able to say it's by Rick Brannan.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:20 AM

Rosie Perera:
I bet the production cost on this one is fairly low because it's being done in-house, and is probably in progress already, or they wouldn't be able to say it's by Rick Brannan.

Yep, this is true, Rick's comment on his work on the forum (there's also a screengrab of some of the data that's already been done on the product page).

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 7:56 AM

Logos also has the Apostolic Fathers interlinears by Lake, Holmes and Lightfoot

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 8:00 AM

Rosie Perera:

OK, I hadn't ordered this because I don't know Greek.

Not knowing Greek is precisely the reason to own this resource. If you knew Greek, you wouldn't need the interlinear (just ask George!) Big Smile.

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 7:26 AM

Yep...thats why I like I.L....not fluent in Greek, nevertheless I was one of the first to click on this prepub and now it looks to be at about 98%.  We need a few more willing to purchase to push this into production.  This is a better buy than the other versions...cheaper....and with interlinear and linked to LN and you could tie this in with your BDAG that quotes many of these references. 

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 12:24 PM

ALRIGHT!  Its been pushed to a full blue line.  Can I hear 100%!!!!!

Posts 19315
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 4:49 PM

Chris:

ALRIGHT!  Its been pushed to a full blue line.  Can I hear 100%!!!!!

Wow, OK this will probably only take just one more order to push it over the finish line. Anyone?

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 28 2010 1:51 AM

Rosie Perera:
Anyone?

I tried but no joy.  Someone else please.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 28 2010 6:33 AM

It might need a human in Bellingham to flick the switch on Monday.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 4:00 AM

Per Rick Brannan's blog it has passed the threshhold!

He also states it's a side job for him to do this, he'll start in June and it may take a year - with some interim releases possible.

http://www.supakoo.com/rick/ricoblog/2010/03/29/LooksLikeItrsquosRealTheApostolicFathersGreekEnglishInterlinear.aspx

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:27 AM

Rosie Perera:

Rosie, are you serious that you do not know Greek? Some how, i think this is a mistake but if it is not, then i am truly surprise. Watching your helpful video on Genesis i assume you would be good at Greek.

I don't need to feel that bad at not being good at Greek then Big Smile.

Ted

Edit: i already placed my order for interlinear(by Rick Brannan)

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 142
James Macleod | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 9:55 AM

Rosie Perera:

OK, I hadn't ordered this because I don't know Greek. But I might learn it someday (I really would like to) and I might kick myself for not having ordered this when I could. So I'm in. It's very close! And my order seemed to make a perceptible difference. I bet the production cost on this one is fairly low because it's being done in-house, and is probably in progress already, or they wouldn't be able to say it's by Rick Brannan.

Go for it! It was the best thing I ever did.

Posts 1419
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:27 AM

Dominick --

Thanks for this thread, the link to my blog, and for the discussion about the Apostolic Fathers interlinear! I appreciate it.

I'm hoping to dig back into the interlinear work in late May or in June. As said, it will take some time to do the work. Pre-pubs tell us how much interest there is before we start a project, so now we get to start the project. I will say, though, that when evaluating the effort the project would take late last year and early this year, I worked through the Didache and Polycarp to the Philippians, so in a sense the project has already started. But, as my daughter Ella would say, "Lots to do, dada, lots to do!"

If you've ordered this, thanks so much!

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 19315
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 2:55 PM

Ted Hans:

Rosie Perera:

Rosie, are you serious that you do not know Greek? Some how, i think this is a mistake but if it is not, then i am truly surprise. Watching your helpful video on Genesis i assume you would be good at Greek.

I don't need to feel that bad at not being good at Greek then Big Smile.

Genesis was written in Hebrew originally, not Greek. So I'm surprised you think my video on Genesis could only have been done if I knew Greek. Wink  The only Greek I know is the alphabet and a few vague memories of what some grammatical terms mean and a smattering of vocabulary words from taking one semester of classical Greek in college over 25 years ago (I got a C in it and gave it up after one semester). Whatever I did manage to learn back then I've forgotten. It wasn't biblical Greek anyway. We were reading excerpts from Aristophanes and such.

I took a year of Hebrew in seminary and loved it and did very well in it. I wish I'd gone further with it, but I didn't. And haven't kept up my facility with it by practicing my paradigms and reviewing vocabulary lists. But I do feel I know it much better than I know Greek. Anyway, Logos has some wonderful language features that are usable by people who don't know the languages, or barely know them.

Posts 3
Graeme Edward Hibbard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:00 AM

Any chance of the works of the Apologists being turned into an interlinear?

Aristides, Justin Martyr, Athenagoras, Theophilus, (IRENAEUS) in particular - his Greek fragments!

Apple Mac's "ACCORDANCE" Bible software has these. But it ONLY run's on Apple Mac's!

"Me very sad Rick - Me want very much!"

Can you help - PLEASE!

It will keep you employed for very long time by LOGOS!

These need a fresh, modern translation made available too! Not some crusty old Roberts & Donaldson, something with MODERN English with up to date scholarship!

My LOGOS SOFTWARE getting old now, so I'm looking at getting newer version!

Me want LEXHAM discourse marker module, and, and, and - all sort's of goodies! Me likie Greek very much!

I already have translated passages from Polycarp, Clement of Rome, a good chunk of Arestides, some of Justin Martyr, Didache, Mathetes to Dognetus, Theophilus, Athenagoras, Eusebius, Epiphanius and others!

Me even had a go at some Latin a few month's back Tertullian, Pliny the Younger. It was fun!

But me need better resources! It's very tiring manually looking up lexicons and grammars, NEW LOGOS = ANSWER to problem!

GoooooOOO LOGOS Yeh!

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:20 AM

Okay, you've twisted my arm. I don't really like interlinears, because they break my concentration on the text, but for the sake of others … Yes

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 3
Graeme Edward Hibbard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 10:09 PM

WOOOO HOO!

Great stuff!

When?

Me want INSTANT gratifaction!

Just kidding!

Look forward to when you have completed your project. No doubt it will take quite some time. Was not expecting such a prompt answer.

Thank you very much.

OH! Don't forget we want morphological tagging linked to BAGD and nothing less!

Have a great day!

Posts 3
Graeme Edward Hibbard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 9:37 AM

Since you guys are expanding more and more into the Patristic feild, heres a suggestion:

LAMPS Patristic lexicon!

Many Greek words were coined during this period by the ANF and  POST-ANF in particular, which are not in BAGD, but are in LAMPS lexicon.

I don't know weather this is public domain or if there are any copyright resrictions on it still, but would certainly compliment ANF Software, Interlinears etc.

What do you think?

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:17 AM

Graeme Edward Hibbard:

Since you guys are expanding more and more into the Patristic feild, heres a suggestion:

LAMPS Patristic lexicon!

Many Greek words were coined during this period by the ANF and  POST-ANF in particular, which are not in BAGD, but are in LAMPS lexicon.

I don't know weather this is public domain or if there are any copyright resrictions on it still, but would certainly compliment ANF Software, Interlinears etc.

What do you think?

No, its not public domain -- it was published in 1969 by Oxford. A number of us have requested it before -- and Oxford charges more for Lampe than they do for LSJ(MG) -- considering that Logos generally stays relatively close to the book price & this one retails for $600, I don't see a prepub of this volume going very quickly . . . though you can generally pick copies up for $275 or so -- the one $185 copy on Amazon right now is the cheapest copy I've seen in probably four years). For the Apostolic Fathers, you don't need anything more than BDAG -- which covers these extremely early fathers quite thoroughly.

With that said, I have request this one myself and continue to want it in Logos -- especially if the PG (http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/4346) ever gets through. hint, hint.

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS