Augustine - The New City Press Edition

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 27 2017 1:10 PM

Might I submit an official request for Logos to bring the New City Press edition of Augustine's works to the platform? 

The publisher is nearing completion, having published 42 out of the projected 47 volumes and appears to be planning on wrapping things up by 2023.

http://www.newcitypress.com/media/downloads/Listing_of_Future_Publications_in_WSA.pdf

Posts 528
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 6:30 AM

Yes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 496
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 9:57 AM

I would happily buy this whole set!

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 11:27 AM

Hey Steve, a few of the differences are:

1) Comprehensiveness - This will be the first time Augustine's entire corpus of writings will be translated into English. 

2) Freshness - This will be a newly translated set, bringing Augustine's works into 21st century English.

Posts 1128
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 11:39 AM

the website looks like it is translating many of the Latin previously untranslated titles of Augustine's into English. Titles like his commentary on Romans, which has yet to be translated!

Posts 924
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 12:44 PM

Bentley Crawford:

Hey Steve, a few of the differences are:

1) Comprehensiveness - This will be the first time Augustine's entire corpus of writings will be translated into English. 

2) Freshness - This will be a newly translated set, bringing Augustine's works into 21st century English.

I was looking more for specifics.  Is there a list comparing what is available today from Faithlife to what is new with the suggested titles? 

I'm not sure what language changes would be helpful between from late 20th century translations (the CUA and ACC series).  Maybe some minor differences.  There would certainly be more freshness than 18th and 19th century translations, for sure.

I see another has suggested a Commentary on Romans may be new. I see Augustine's sermons on Romans albeit a 19th century translation. Probably not quite a commentary, but helpful content on Romans.  I did a quick search and it looks like some translations may be available, just not from Faithlife.

I guess a comparison list is what I'm looking for.  Any details?

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 1:10 PM

Hi Steve, this is information that you may find with a quick Google search and comparison.

Here is a list someone made in the last decade or so with all of Augustine's titles and the series they were translated into: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ackwnaqzvjmrva6/Index%20of%20Augustine%27s%20Works.pdf?dl=0

A quick overview of this list shows the following (there may be inaccuracies due to recent publications, but this is likely a good estimate):

Augustine produced 106 titles.

Of that 106, the NPNF series has 44 and is lacking 62.

Of that 106, the FOTC series has 54 and is lacking 52.

Taking into account other titles translated via other publishers, there still appears to remain 18 titles that have never been translated into English:

1. Alphabetical Psalm Against the Donatists
  2. Incomplete Explanation: Epistle to the Romans
  3. Against the Letter of Parmenian 
  4. Against Cresconius the Grammarian
  5. Concerning the One Baptism, Against Petilian
  6. Eight Questions on the Old Testament
  7. Against Gaudentius a Donatist Bishop
  8. Incomplete Work Against Julian
  9. Against Adimantus
  10. Against Felix the Manichee
  11. Questions on the Gospels
  12. Sermon on Christian Discipline
  13. Comments on Job
  14. On the Unity of the Church
  15. Proceedings with Emeritus
  16. Reply to the Caesarians
  17. Questions on the Heptateuch
  18. Against Adversaries of the Law and the Prophets
Posts 924
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 1:37 PM

This is helpful. Thanks.  :)

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 1:39 PM

Actually, the list is twenty-two if one adds to it the four titles which New City Press has already translated as an English first:

1. Alphabetical Psalm Against the Donatists

2. Incomplete Explanation: Epistle to the Romans

3. Against the Letter of Parmenian

4. Against Cresconius the Grammarian

5. Concerning the One Baptism, Against Petilian

6. Against the Prisvillianists and the Origenists

7. Against an Ariam Sermon

8. Eight Questions on the Old Testament

9. Against Gaudentius a Donatist Bishop

10. Discussion with Maximus the Arian Bishop

11. Against Maximus

12. Incomplete Work Against Julian

13. Against Adimantus

14. Against Felix the Manichee

15. Questions on the Gospels

16. Sermon on Christian Discipline

17. Comments on Job

18. On the Unity of the Church

19. Proceedings with Emeritus

20. Reply to the Caesarians

21. Questions on the Heptateuch

22. Against Adversaries of the Law and the Prophets

Posts 924
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 1:52 PM

Thanks again.  :)

I would highly recommend also to post this on the Suggestions Forum and on Uservoice.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/122900.aspx

I would also add that this is the kind of detail that helps decisions to support/purchase resources.  Very helpful.

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 28 2017 2:25 PM

Yes

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 860
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 11:52 AM

Bentley Crawford:

Might I submit an official request for Logos to bring the New City Press edition of Augustine's works to the platform? 

The publisher is nearing completion, having published 42 out of the projected 47 volumes and appears to be planning on wrapping things up by 2023.

http://www.newcitypress.com/media/downloads/Listing_of_Future_Publications_in_WSA.pdf

This is definitely on my list of books to acquire. I personally would love to see this in our format!

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 150
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 4:44 PM

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS