Joh Frame Question

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6651
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 30 2017 12:12 PM

Is John Frame's systematic theology a condensed version of his theology of Lordship 4 volumes?  If so which one would you choose? Or,  is it worth having them all? Thanks for any input!

DAL

Posts 87
Rick Carmickle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 12:35 PM

Frame's Systematic Theology would obviously be theologically consistent with this other books, but other than the section on the doctrine of the knowledge of God, it does not cover the same material. Its sections follow the traditional systematic categories. But this is the type of reference book that has great value to me (like other commentaries, dictionaries, and systematic theologies). So I would highly recommend its purchase. 

Posts 6651
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 12:44 PM

So here's a new question:  if you had to choose between John Frame's systematic theology and Norman Geisler's systematic theology which one would you choose?

DAL

Posts 759
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 2:55 PM

I have read extensively from both authors, but neither of their systematic theologies.  From their other readings, I would consider Geisler to probably have more of a practical bent and Frame to have more of a philosophical, or technical view. 

And of course, if you follow Frame, expect everything to be broken up into three categories.  After all, he is a true trinitarian at heart. Smile  [He jokes about this himself during his lectures.]

Posts 6651
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 3:13 PM

David A Egolf:

...expect everything to be broken up into three categories.  After all, he is a true trinitarian at heart. Smile  [He jokes about this himself during his lectures.]

Yes, so I've noticed LOL. I may get both systematic theologies, and then the other works by Frame later. I definitely love how practical Geisler is and his ST 4 volumes is outlined better so that it makes it very teachable. I'm trying to get a couple more systematic theologies and these two would be great. One calvinistic (Frame) the other non calvinistic (Geisler).

Thanks for the input both of you. 

DAL

Posts 468
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 30 2017 10:18 PM

Hey DAL, 

I own all the Theology of Lordship Series and Frame's systematic theology. And yes, whilst there is some overlap, his ST is certainly not a rehashing of old material into a new format. 

His ST is also very practical and pastoral in places.

Carpe verbum.

Posts 6651
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 1:41 AM

LMAM:

Hey DAL, 

I own all the Theology of Lordship Series and Frame's systematic theology. And yes, whilst there is some overlap, his ST is certainly not a rehashing of old material into a new format. 

His ST is also very practical and pastoral in places.

Thanks LMAM! I went ahead and got Geisler's ST all 4 volumes and I will definitely add Frame's ST to my library. The other books on the Theology of Lordship will be added too, but those can wait. Thanks for your input too!

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 944
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 11:10 AM

I would have voted Frame.  Personally I felt Geisler's ST weren't deep enough and left too many holes.  I had to go to many other references to round out what he said.  I haven't touched mine in several years. 

Posts 2927
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 31 2017 11:31 AM

DAL:

So here's a new question:  if you had to choose between John Frame's systematic theology and Norman Geisler's systematic theology which one would you choose?

DAL

I would choose Frame. This is not because he is better in every place or I agree with him, but he truly makes me think and offers very unique observations and implications of familiar theological truths. I've greatly enjoyed and been challenged by reading John Frame. His works are particularly well suited for reading in Logos

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 10
James Hillstrand | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 1 2017 1:49 AM

This discussion interests me with systematic theology.

Posts 6651
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 1 2017 4:24 AM

I got the best of both worlds! A free compact version of Frame's ST, the full ST along with his Theology of Lordship book series all for $100 and change! I'm glad his books are on sale this month. That should compliment Geisler's ST and the other ST volumes from different authors I own 😁 I'm a happy camper now.

Thanks FL for the sale!

DAL

Posts 3383
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 1 2017 10:12 AM

I don't know much on frame but I love Geisler's. It is great when it comes to apologetics and covers a lot of what ifs.

https://www.logos.com/product/48797/reformed-dogmatics 

What about logos new reformed one?

Posts 824
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 1 2017 8:06 PM

DAL:

David A Egolf:

...expect everything to be broken up into three categories.  After all, he is a true trinitarian at heart. Smile  [He jokes about this himself during his lectures.]

Yes, so I've noticed LOL. I may get both systematic theologies, and then the other works by Frame later. I definitely love how practical Geisler is and his ST 4 volumes is outlined better so that it makes it very teachable. I'm trying to get a couple more systematic theologies and these two would be great. One calvinistic (Frame) the other non calvinistic (Geisler).

Thanks for the input both of you. 

DAL

When I was in seminary and taking classes with John, everything was a triad. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS