Logos.com profile "alias"

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 60
Donald S | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 26 2010 3:08 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the logos.com community and I was wondering:  On the profile tab in my logos.com account, there is a field for "alias".  Where and how is it used?  So far I have only seen my display name on any of the pages, forums, sermons, etc.

Posts 18822
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 3:12 PM

Donald S:

I'm new to the logos.com community and I was wondering:  On the profile tab in my logos.com account, there is a field for "alias".  Where and how is it used?  So far I have only seen my display name on any of the pages, forums, sermons, etc.

I don't know what that's for. It's an optional field. The question mark icons next to those fields don't seem to work to bring up explanations of what the fields are for. I have mine filled in as my first & last name with no space between, but I've never seen it show up anywhere on the forums. Maybe it's reserved for possible future use. I'd just ignore it if I were you.

Posts 60
Donald S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 3:16 PM

Perhaps it's in the "reserved for future use" category Smile

Posts 1
David Ladiges | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 3:45 PM

If you don't have a display name filled in, the Alias should be auto-generated to a unique form of your name and used in the forums instead of the display name. 

Posts 1692
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 8:17 PM

In the future we'll use the alias as a unique token with no spaces that can be part of a URL for a unique page for each user.

Posts 18822
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:38 AM

Bob Pritchett:

In the future we'll use the alias as a unique token with no spaces that can be part of a URL for a unique page for each user.

So are you enforcing the uniqueness of this alias now? What if there are two users named JohnSmith?

Posts 1692
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 9:41 AM

I believe we are; that's the intention. So that you can choose to be johnsmith007 right now, if there's already a John Smith, instead of waiting a few years and then having to be johnsmith4934. :-)

Posts 3768
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 10:02 AM

I am choosing to be THEBobPritchett . . . Geeked

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:24 PM

Might seem a dumb question but where will the alias or profile name get used? I've changed mine but can't see any place where it's different.

Posts 2738
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 2:16 PM

As Bob said above it is a future thing. Sounds like they are planning to give everyone their own page, so I would have http://www.logos.com/DrKevinPurcell Pretty cool! Maybe a Biblical social networking kind of thing.

Note that link doesn't work. But might one day.

Posts 18822
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2010 4:53 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

As Bob said above it is a future thing. Sounds like they are planning to give everyone their own page, so I would have http://www.logos.com/DrKevinPurcell Pretty cool! Maybe a Biblical social networking kind of thing.

Note that link doesn't work. But might one day.

Looks like it might be a long way off. They don't even have a http://www.logos.com/BobPritchett page yet.Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS