Clarifying prepub price guarantee

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 2 2017 2:55 PM

Hi,

I want to make others aware of something which was (rather shocking) news to me when I purchased the Reformed Expository Commentary in the present sale. 

I mentioned to the sales rep (great guy) that I had bought a 2 vol. upgrade exactly 5 weeks ago at $28.99. Neither of the volumes are available individually yet and the upgrade is no longer available. Instead the 2 volumes are in the new 30 vol. bundle which just went on sale. 

In my ignorance I assumed I would get some Logos credit because of the prepub guarantee since their price is much cheaper in the bundle. The bundle itself is discounted by $65-75 compared to the books being sold individually and in addition is 30% off. On prepub these books were probably around 25%-30% off. If the difference was difficult to calculate (since no per unit price is available) then I thought maybe I'd just get a refund for the prepub and get charged for them in the new bundle. 

However the sales rep told me that the prepub guarantee 'refers to books being sold separately, not if they are in a collection.'

I guess I would be less surprised if the same collection was still available (but at a higher price) or even the individual books are available but the only way to buy these books now is in this bundle.  

All of this is simply to inform you that the prepub guarantee is not just as comforting as it seems on the prepub page where it says: 

"All Pre-Pub orders have a 6-month lowest-price guarantee. If we offer a book for less than its Pre-Pub price within 6 months of shipping, contact us and we will give you the difference in Logos credit."

Since many prepub books are sold in bundles, we all need to realise that they may well be sold at a cheaper price even just a few days after the 30 day return period ends.

Colin 

Posts 861
LogosEmployee

Colin:

Hi,

I want to make others aware of something which was (rather shocking) news to me when I purchased the Reformed Expository Commentary in the present sale. 

I mentioned to the sales rep (great guy) that I had bought a 2 vol. upgrade exactly 5 weeks ago at $28.99. Neither of the volumes are available individually yet and the upgrade is no longer available. Instead the 2 volumes are in the new 30 vol. bundle which just went on sale. 

In my ignorance I assumed I would get some Logos credit because of the prepub guarantee since their price is much cheaper in the bundle. The bundle itself is discounted by $65-75 compared to the books being sold individually and in addition is 30% off. On prepub these books were probably around 25%-30% off. If the difference was difficult to calculate (since no per unit price is available) then I thought maybe I'd just get a refund for the prepub and get charged for them in the new bundle. 

However the sales rep told me that the prepub guarantee 'refers to books being sold separately, not if they are in a collection.'

I guess I would be less surprised if the same collection was still available (but at a higher price) or even the individual books are available but the only way to buy these books now is in this bundle.  

All of this is simply to inform you that the prepub guarantee is not just as comforting as it seems on the prepub page where it says: 

"All Pre-Pub orders have a 6-month lowest-price guarantee. If we offer a book for less than its Pre-Pub price within 6 months of shipping, contact us and we will give you the difference in Logos credit."

Since many prepub books are sold in bundles, we all need to realise that they may well be sold at a cheaper price even just a few days after the 30 day return period ends.

Colin 

Thank you for your post. It looks like there may have been a miscommunication somewhere. The pre-pub pricing guarantee applies to the product as it was configured and sold on pre-pub. So, e.g., if it was sold on pre-pub as a 3-vol set, than the guarantee applies to that 3-vol set. It has nothing to do with single vs. multi volume. 

So, while it still wouldn't apply in this instance, it is because it is being sold as part of a larger set, not because it isn't an individual volume.

I'm very sorry for the confusion. 

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 4877
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 10:24 PM

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):

It looks like there may have been a miscommunication somewhere.

This is becoming a standard response from FL - sorry we commincated that incorrectly. This company never used to have these issues. The leadership of this company need to acknowledge they have a problem, take ownership of the problem and drive change throughout the business.

Posts 2243
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 2 2017 11:59 PM

Actually, I am not surprised. Over the past year, lots of PP resources were added straight into Base Packages, which have an average discount of about 90%.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 3168
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 1:52 AM

Colin:
Neither of the volumes are available individually yet and the upgrade is no longer available.

It seems a little disreputable when FL offers a guarantee, but then makes it impossible to collect due to repackaging the resources and/or pulling items from the store.

I'm sorry a better deal came along 5 weeks later, Colin.

Jan Krohn:

Actually, I am not surprised. Over the past year, lots of PP resources were added straight into Base Packages, which have an average discount of about 90%.

Yep. At some point, that pre-pub is likely going to end up in some bigger collection for less than what we originally paid for it. If you can postpone buying something, it's probably going to cost less down the road, thanks to FL having to redo the base/expansion packages every version.

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 8:13 AM

Thanks for your responses.

Thanks for the clarification, Ben. I'd be happy for you to change the title of the forum post to reflect your response, since mine is clearly misleading now and unwarranted. To be fair to the salesman, the email was brief and offered me the chance to follow up with any questions. Instead, I took my disappointment to the forum.

In the situation where the resources are sold in a certain configuration and are no longer available in that configuration just 35 days later, (and this aspect of the arrangement wasn't clear from the prepub guarantee page as quoted above) perhaps the way to a happier customer would have been to make an exception to the 30 day return rule and refund my original purchase before putting through the new sale.  

Colin.  

Posts 861
LogosEmployee

Colin:

Thanks for your responses.

Thanks for the clarification, Ben. I'd be happy for you to change the title of the forum post to reflect your response, since mine is clearly misleading now and unwarranted. To be fair to the salesman, the email was brief and offered me the chance to follow up with any questions. Instead, I took my disappointment to the forum.

In the situation where the resources are sold in a certain configuration and are no longer available in that configuration just 35 days later, (and this aspect of the arrangement wasn't clear from the prepub guarantee page as quoted above) perhaps the way to a happier customer would have been to make an exception to the 30 day return rule and refund my original purchase before putting through the new sale.  

Colin.  

Hi Colin,

That's a fair point. As we go forward, we will continue to hone the pre-pub pricing policy to cover cases like this, though I suppose there will probably always a bit of a grey area when it comes to when/how we can "reasonably" re-package pre-pub products.

We'll definitely take this into consideration as we continue to improve our pricing policies.

Thanks,

Ben

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS