Evaluating the benefits of Logos 7 Basic

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 652
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 3 2017 11:48 AM

Last month, Faithlife sent out an email notice promoting the use of a new free package, Logos 7 Basic.  The announcement was couched in a blog entry suggesting that this software could be used in a church context to promote a culture of Bible reading. 

How to Create a Church Culture that Loves Bible Study

The idea sounded quite intriguing.  I am interested in approaching our church leadership with the idea of making this into a sanctioned program.

However, we need to know the capabilities of this Logos 7 Basic package.  Some of our parishioners will be financially unable to add to the base package and we need to be sure that the included tools will be useful.

To that end, I plan to set up a second Logos account for myself just so that I can have an installation for Logos 7 Basic so that I can "kick the tires".  This will also allow me to start setting up tutorial information.

The purpose of this post is two-fold.  First, I am interested for comments from anyone with ideas about this program or an assessment of Logos 7 Basic.  Secondly, is there anything I need to know about setting up a second Logos/Faithlife account? 

My current plan is to use a variant of my current Logos name; i.e., omit my middle initial.  Is that a good idea?  I am inclined to link it to a different email account in order to keep emails separate.

Posts 8583
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 11:55 AM

That sounds viable.  Though you could also just look through the list of included resources and see what is available.

On top of that take note that with regular reminders you could inform your group of various vyrso/logos/noet/verbum freebies that are mentioned in the forums or by email signup.

While the Perseus project might not be desirable for most of them, that also is free. 

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 24855
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 12:45 PM

David A Egolf:
I am inclined to link it to a different email account in order to keep emails separate.

You have to... there is no other way. Your FL account is tied to an email address, so you will need a secondary email address to "purchase" this by itself. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 8652
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 1:55 PM

David, you asked 'assessment', and I recognize you've likely thought about this.

But I wonder if we're selling Logos or Bible study? That's not a cute question. A few years back, an elder wondered on choosing the platform for the presentation software (small church). My answer was 'expertise' .... when the expert disappeared, was it sustainable. And how easy to train volunteers, etc?

I'd pose the same question regarding Logos. Versus other choices. 

Posts 8523
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 2:21 PM

David, I've wondered the same thing. I do have a separate user account just for Logos 7 Basic so have already evaluated it to some extent.

It has a fair degree of usability, and if members primarily start from the Home page, they will probably like it and not need much hand-holding.

What I see as a problem is the lack of depth of the resources provided (it's free, I know, so who should complain), and this makes me wonder about user experience. I've tried to encourage church people to think about Logos before, but whenever they find out what a package like Bronze will cost them they are looking to end the conversation. Logos Basic could disappoint as it might seem like a teaser to get people to buy more which could turn them off since the real cost of entering the Logos ecosystem is pretty high for people who currently only own a study Bible.

I'm still thinking about this for our church. I know that it will probably only appeal to those who want to do more than Bible reading, who want to do serious Bible study. If Faithlife would think in terms of of upgrade modules in the price range of $50-$100 (with others higher) then some might get engaged and start adding a module every now and then. I just don't know about them jumping from free Basic to Starter at $249.00.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4766
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 2:48 PM

BASIC is that basic, but with the adding Faithlife Study Bible and Lexham Bible Dictionary to it you end up with a decent suite of tools, no its not super in-depth but it will give you a good start...

-dan

Posts 22465
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 3:05 PM

David A Egolf:
The purpose of this post is two-fold.  First, I am interested for comments from anyone with ideas about this program or an assessment of Logos 7 Basic. 

You will not get results in your Bibles for <Person>, <Places> <Things> searches because L7 Basic does not include the Biblical Referents database. The Biblical People dataset in L7 Basic allows the recognition of proper names for <Person> in the Context menu of bibles (this includes instances where, for example, "Jerusalem" means "people of Jerusalem"), but <Places> and <Things> are not recognised because their datasets are not included.

Guides (incl. Topic and Sermon Starter) will be usable but restricted because of the lack of datasets and Factbook will be limited to Persons and Topics.

Morph Searches are possible and together with the lexicons and a free Greek bible it is useful for basic original language study (you have to pay for a Hebrew bible).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1386
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 3:33 PM

David:

I have a similar idea for our church. I have set up a blog (Using Logos Basic). Along with tips and links to videos, etc., my strategy is to provide potential users with some public domain or share-able person books to augment their experience with trying to learn the software. (I think it is unlikely that the PBs are interfering with Logos' marketing of similar resources to newbies.) I have also let them know that for $10, they can get an ESV, NASB, etc., plus the interlinear tagging. I've also tried to explain the value of Logos resources versus Kindle books and the personal book files I provide, to help them with their evaluation.

I have set up an alternate Logos account and that has been very valuable in helping me make sure I'm not telling them about something they can't do with Basic. (In Windows, set up another user account for the installation. I'm sure there is a Mac equivalent.)

My current task is to persuade the elders to use the communication resources of the church to notify congregants of the existence of the blog. Otherwise, awareness will be very limited, as I probably shouldn't spam the church directory. I'm a bit baffled at how long that is taking, but there are reasons why they're elders and I'm not. In any case, I wouldn't expect more that 5% or so to get into it, so I'm realistic about that.

However, anyone here on the forums should feel free to link to my blog, copy any articles found to be useful, distribute the PB files, whatever will help.

Win7 Android 4.4.2

Posts 652
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 3:51 PM

Hi Robert,

Your blog will be a very useful resource!  Thank you!

An April blog entry mentions Themelios.  TGC currently does not charge for archived entries: Themelios Archive

I agree Themelios is good. 

I had completely forgotten about Sproul's Crucial Questions series.  That is also a great find.

Posts 94
Fred Littlefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 3 2017 11:56 PM

I hate to mention it here but I have had a similar experience with the free version of Logos. It is not very useful unless you buy in on some level. For the members with less means they will not be able to do that, also with members of moderated means, it is also difficult to get them to purchase something of value like Logos. I also tell them that buying a $200 Bible is a good investment if it is one that they can study from for years. Some complain about the cost of a $50 Bible, and I say this is the word of God which is of priceless value, do you want to study it for years or do you want it to fall apart after a few years then have to replace it?. That being said, the concept is the same with Bible Software. I have found that there are other software programs that are of more use to someone that is reluctant to spend good money on Bible software. The other free Bible Software that I recommend are "theWORD", "WORDsearch" free version (this is the one I started with several years ago), "Bible Analyzer". All are excellent for free use, but "theWORD" seems like the most useful and best and most supported.

If you get them interested in using Bible Software, because you can "Study More for the same length of time" they will eventually want something better like Logos. I wish Logos saw their free software more as in investment for attracting new users. Once you get them interested they will stick with Logos, there is nowhere better to go. But now I am dissapointed in the free software offering that Logos offers. I had hoped that the new L7 free software would be a little more liberal in what they offered to attract new users.

Posts 1386
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 4 2017 8:36 AM

David A Egolf:
TGC currently does not charge for archived entries: Themelios Archive

David:  Thanks for the tip. Here's the link:  http://themelios.thegospelcoalition.org/archive 

Note that the Logos links for Volume 33.1 (May 2008) and forward will place the issue in your Logos cart for $0.00. That is when TGC took over the publishing of Themelios. Logos editions prior to that will be $1.99.

Win7 Android 4.4.2

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 4 2017 9:23 AM

Robert M. Warren:
I have set up an alternate Logos account and that has been very valuable in helping me make sure I'm not telling them about something they can't do with Basic. (In Windows, set up another user account for the installation. I'm sure there is a Mac equivalent.)

Thankful can use Logos and Verbum at the same time with different Faithlife accounts.

My Faithlife account with $ 0.00 order total has "Get Started with Logos" comparison at www.logos.com 

Logos wiki has => Free Logos Books !! so a library with $ 0.00 order total could have ~2,000 resources from Faithlife (includes Perseus collections => https://www.logos.com/products/search?Product+Type=Perseus with US Civil War history where search for prayer and fasting finds many days by both sides). Also free is document sharing (including Visual Filters) plus personal books and Faithlife group(s) for discussions, prayers, ...

Thankful for many $ 9.99 Bibles => https://www.logos.com/products/search?Status=Live&Resource+Type=Bibles (product search includes some Study Bibles)

Less expensive than Starter is $ 99.99 AMG Bible Essentials that includes Word Study Bible with dictionaries. Thread => A Question about the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (TWOT) includes: 

Dan Francis:
it must be noted that while AMG OT Dict. is highly "borrowed" from TWOT but is not identical or as in-depth as TWOT.

Noticed Best Selling item is $ 39.99 ESV Study Bible Notes => https://www.logos.com/products/search?sort=bestselling&pageSize=60&Status=Live

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4766
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 4 2017 11:08 AM

Sticking with the free resources lets take a look at a study of psalm 23 (I do not claim this is all you can do just benefits that a lay person can easily discover): First of all when I type pas 23 and hit enter the KJV and LEB pop up... You have the time honoured KJV and a very good modern translation.

Psalm 23

A Psalm of David.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:

He leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul:

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;

Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:

Thou lanointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Ps 23). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

23 A psalm of David. 

Yahweh is my shepherd; 

I will not lack for anything

In grassy pastures he makes me lie down; 

by quiet waters he leads me. 

He restores my life. 

He leads me in correct paths 

for the sake of his name. 

Even when I walk in a dark valley, I fear no evil 

because you are with me. 

Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 

You prepare before me a table 

in the presence of my oppressors. 

You anoint my head with oil; 

my cup is overflowing. 

Surely goodness and loyal love will pursue me 

all the days of my life, 

and I will stay in the house of Yahweh 

for a very long time

Harris, W. H., III, Ritzema, E., Brannan, R., Mangum, D., Dunham, J., Reimer, J. A., & Wierenga, M. (Eds.). (2012). The Lexham English Bible (Ps 23:title–6). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

Open directly beneath is the classic JFB:

PSALM 23

Ps 23:1–6. Under a metaphor borrowed from scenes of pastoral life, with which David was familiar, he describes God’s providential care in providing refreshment, guidance, protection, and abundance, and so affording grounds of confidence in His perpetual favor.

1. Christ’s relation to His people is often represented by the figure of a shepherd (Jn 10:14; Heb 13:20; 1 Pe 2:25; 5:4), and therefore the opinion that He is the Lord here so described, and in Ge 48:15; Ps 80:1; Is 40:11, is not without some good reason.

2. green pastures—or, “pastures of tender grass,” are mentioned, not in respect to food, but as places of cool and refreshing rest.

the still waters—are, literally, “waters of “stillness,” whose quiet flow invites to repose. They are contrasted with boisterous streams on the one hand, and stagnant, offensive pools on the other.

3. To restore the soul is to revive or quicken it (Ps 19:7), or relieve it (La 1:11, 19).

paths of righteousness—those of safety, as directed by God, and pleasing to Him.

for his name’s sake—or, regard for His perfections, pledged for His people’s welfare.

4. In the darkest and most trying hour God is near.

the valley of the shadow of death—is a ravine overhung by high precipitous cliffs, filled with dense forests, and well calculated to inspire dread to the timid, and afford a covert to beasts of prey. While expressive of any great danger or cause of terror, it does not exclude the greatest of all, to which it is most popularly applied, and which its terms suggest.

thy rod and thy staff—are symbols of a shepherd’s office. By them he guides his sheep.

5, 6. Another figure expresses God’s provided care.

a table—or, “food.”

oil—anointing oil, the symbol of gladness.

cup (which represents abundance)—are prepared for the child of God, who may feast in spite of his enemies, confident that this favor will ever attend him. This beautiful Psalm most admirably sets before us, in its chief figure, that of a shepherd, the gentle, kind, and sure care extended to God’s people, who, as a shepherd, both rules and feeds them. The closing verse shows that the blessings mentioned are spiritual.

Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (1997). Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Vol. 1, p. 354). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Over in the passage guide i see FSB below JFB and click it.

23:title–6 Psalm 23 is a psalm of confidence in Yahweh—showing an intimate relationship between the psalmist and Yahweh. As a hymn of trust, it expresses the psalmist’s confidence in Yahweh’s guidance, using images of a shepherd (vv. 1–4) and host (vv. 5–6) to portray God’s care of him.

23:title A psalm of David See note on 3:title.

23:1 Yahweh is my shepherd The psalmist portrays Yahweh as a shepherd, a common depiction throughout the ot. The metaphor emphasizes His care for and protection of His people (28:9; Isa 40:11). He is also called the shepherd of Israel (Ps 80:1). Several times, the title is specifically applied to His care of Israel in the wilderness (77:20; 78:52–53).

Sheep, Shepherd AYBD

Shepherd NBD

Names of God in the Old Testament Table

23:2 grassy pastures This emphasizes ideas of nourishment and abundance. As shepherd, Yahweh cares for and provides for the psalmist (Ezek 34:14–15).

quiet The Hebrew word used here, menuchah, emphasizes rest and security. Yahweh provides for all the psalmist’s needs (Isa 32:20).

23:3 correct paths Describing a path of life (Prov 12:28). To be led on these paths is to enjoy Yahweh’s protection (Psa 1:6). See 5:8 and note.

for the sake of his name Yahweh’s protection and care of the psalmist is not only for the psalmist’s sake, but for the sake of Yahweh’s name (or reputation).

Yahweh performs acts of deliverance to reveal His power (106:8). The destruction of His people would cause His enemies to profane (or disrespect) His name (79:9–10; Ezek 20:9; 36:22–32). By saving His people, Yahweh also reveals His faithful love (Ps 109:21) through His protection (31:3–5).

The Name of Yahweh EBC Ps—So

23:4 a dark valley The psalmist acknowledges that life will not always be characterized by green pastures and quiet waters (v. 2). He will walk through darkness or gloom (107:10; Job 10:22).

evil The Hebrew word used here, ra'ah, can refer to harm or trouble (Job 2:10). Even in difficult times, the psalmist will not fear any harm.

you are with me The psalmist does not fear because of Yahweh’s presence, which protects him from harm (Psa 138:7; Isa 43:2).

Your rod and your staff Tools used by shepherds to guide sheep. Having sheep pass under a rod was a way of counting them (Lev 27:32). Here, the rod symbolizes Yahweh’s protection and care. Elsewhere, it serves as a symbol of divine discipline (Ps 89:32; 2 Sam 7:14).

Rod, Staff DBI

Rod (Staff) NBD

23:5 before me a table The psalmist switches from portraying Yahweh as a shepherd to portraying Him as a host. Hospitality in the ancient Near East required more than providing a meal. The host was also responsible for protecting his guest (see Gen 19:8 and note). Since the psalmist, as a guest, enjoys Yahweh’s protection, he can eat safely in the presence of his enemies.

Hospitality AYBD

Host, God as DBI

You anoint my head A host customarily anointed his guests’ heads with oil as they entered to eat (Psa 45:7; Luke 7:46).

my cup is overflowing Emphasizing Yahweh’s generosity; He provides more than the psalmist needs.

23:6 Surely goodness and loyal love With Yahweh as his shepherd and host, the psalmist is confident that he will be protected by Yahweh’s unfailing covenantal love (Exod 34:6).

Chesed Word Study

for a very long time The Hebrew phrase used here, le'orekh yamim, literally means “for length of days.” This does not necessarily indicate eternity; it shows the psalmist expects to be Yahweh’s guest all of his life.

Barry, J. D., Mangum, D., Brown, D. R., Heiser, M. S., Custis, M., Ritzema, E., … Bomar, D. (2012, 2016). Faithlife Study Bible (Ps 23:title–6). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

Now there are numerous points to go on from here and it is true the FSB has numerous links that in effect act as advertisements. But sticking with the free resources and clicking on the Chesed Word Study :

Chesed

Definition

“steadfast love”; “faithfulness”; “loyalty”; “mercy”; “kindness”

English Translation

Versions

steadfast love (or love)

esv; kjv leb; nasb; niv; nkjv; nrsv

mercy; favor

esv; kjv; leb; nasb; niv; nkjv; nrsv

loyalty

esv; leb; nasb; niv; nkjv; nrsv

goodness, kindness

esv; kjv; leb; nasb; niv; nkjv; nrsv

Old Testament Occurrences

Pentateuch

Prophets

Psalms

Wisdom Literature

Historical Books

Total ot Uses

The Hebrew word chesed can sometimes refer to kindness or mercy. It can also refer to faithfulness or loyalty. Most often it is translated as “steadfast love.”

Chesed is often used as a characteristic of God. God’s chesed is an essential part of His character. When He appears to Moses, God describes Himself as abounding in chesed and keeping chesed for thousands (Exod 34:6–7). His chesed is associated with His covenant love for Israel. In the Ten Commandments, God describes Himself as showing chesed to those who love and obey Him (Exod 20:6; Deut 5:10). This description is echoed throughout the ot (Neh 1:5; Dan 9:4; Jer 32:18). Solomon praises God’s chesed that He showed to David (1 Kgs 3:5). He also asserts that there is no God that is chesed like God, fulfilling all His promises to David (1 Kgs 8:23–4).

God’s chesed is often described in terms of His mercy or compassion. In appealing to God to pardon the sins of the people, Moses appeals to God’s chesed (Num 14:18–19). When the Israelites confess their sins in Nehemiah, they also note that God did not forsake the rebellious wilderness generation because He abounds in chesed (Neh 9:17). In addition, Ezra shows that God did not forsake the exiles, but instead extended His chesed to them (Ezra 9:9). The prophets often encourage people to return to God citing His chesed along with His grace (Joel 2:13; Jonah 4:2).

The term chesed is most prevalent in the Psalms. Believers are asked to focus upon chesed in praise (Pss 36:5; 59:17; 61:7; 89:1). The phrase “His chesed endures forever” is often repeated as a chorus of praise (Pss 118:1–4; 136:1–26; see also 1 Chr 16:34; 2 Chr 7:3; 20:21). In psalms of lament, the psalmist often asks God to deliver him for the sake of His chesed (Pss 6:4; 31:16; 109:26) or to remember His chesed and save him (Pss 25:6–7; 69:13–15). God’s chesed is also the basis of the psalmist’s trust (Pss 130:7; 143:8). The king can trust God because of His chesed (Psa 21:7). Psalm 23 concludes with an affirmation that goodness and chesed will follow him because God is the psalmist’s shepherd.

Chesed is also a characteristic God desires in His people—something He desires over sacrifice (Hos 6:6). Zechariah instructs the people to show chesed to one another (Zech 7:9). Micah explains that God requires justice, chesed, and humility (Mic 6:8). The psalmist shows that God takes pleasure in those who trust in His chesed (Psa 147:11). Proverbs often encourages chesed along with wisdom (Prov 3:1–4). A person with chesed benefits from it (Prov 11:17), and those who pursue chesed will find life, righteousness, and honor (Prov 21:21). The ideal woman of Proverbs 31 speaks with wisdom and teaches with chesed (Prov 31:26).

When people use it in reference to other people it often refers to kindness. Lot thanks the angels who visited him for their chesed when they warn him to leave Sodom (Gen 19:14). Joseph asked Pharaoh’s cupbearer to remember him and show him chesed by mentioning him to Pharaoh (Gen 40:14). Rahab asks the spies in Jericho to return her chesed to them by showing chesed to her family’s house (Josh 2:12).

Sometimes, chesed carries a sense of covenant obligation. David asks Jonathan to show chesed to him because they made a covenant together (1 Sam 20:8); later, David later shows chesed to Jonathan’s son Mephibosheth (2 Sam 9:7).

Miles Custis

Custis, M. (2012, 2016). Chesed. In Faithlife Study Bible. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

Scrolling down the passage guide again i come to TSK:

Psalm 23

David’s confidence in God’s grace.

1 my. Ps. 79:13; 80:1. Is. 40:11. Je. 23:3, 4. Eze. 34:11, 12, 23, 24. Mi. 5:2, 4. Jno. 10:11, 14, 27–30. He. 13:20. 1 Pe. 2:25; 5:4. Re. 7:17. I shall. Ps. 34:9, 10, 84:11. Mat. 6:33. Lu. 12:30–32. Ro. 8:32. Phi. 4:19. He. 13:5, 6.

2 maketh. Is. 30:23. Eze. 34:13, 14. green pastures. Heb. pastures of tende grass. leadeth. Ps. 46:4. Is. 49:9, 10. Re. 7:17; 21:6; 22:1, 17. still waters. Heb. waters of quietness. Job 34:29. Is. 8:6.

3 restoreth. Ps. 19:7, marg.; 51:10, 12; 85:4–7; 119:176. Job 33:30. Je. 32:37–42. Ho. 14:4–9. Mi. 7:8, 9, 18, 19. Lu. 22:31, 32. Re. 3:19. leadeth. Ps. 5:8; 34:3; 143:8–10. Pr. 8:20. Is. 42:16. Je. 31:8. for his. Ps. 79:9. Eze. 20:14. Ep. 1:6.

4 through. Ps. 44:19. Job 3:5, 10:21, 22; 24:17. Je. 2:6. Lu. 1:79. I will. Ps. 3:6; 27:1–4; 46:1–3; 118:6; 138:7. Is. 41:10. 1 Co. 15:55–57. for thou. Ps. 14:5; 46:11. Is. 8:9, 10; 43:1, 2. Zec. 8:23. Mat. 1:23; 28:20. Ac. 18:9, 10. 2 Ti. 4:22. thy rod. Ps. 110:2. Mi. 7:14. Zec. 11:10, 14.

5 preparest. Ps. 22:26, 29; 31:19, 20; 104:15. Job 36:16. Is. 25:6. Jno. 6:53–56; 10:9, 10; 16:22. thou anointest. Heb. makest fat. Ps. 45:7; 92:10. Am. 6:6. Mat. 6:17. 2 Co. 1:21. 1 Jno. 2:20, 27. my cup. Ps. 16:5; 116:13. 1 Co. 10:16. Ep. 3:20.

6 goodness. Ps. 30:11, 12; 36:7–10; 103:17. 2 Co. 1:10. 2 Ti. 4:18. and I. Ps. 16:11; 17:15; 73:24–26. 2 Co. 5:1. Phi. 1:23. for ever. Heb. to length of days. Ps. 21:4.

Blayney, B., Scott, T., & Torrey, R. A. with Canne, J., Browne. (n.d.). The Treasury of Scripture knowledge (Vol. 1, p. 368). London: Samuel Bagster and Sons.

Then I get Bible people and click on David giving me links to the two installed Bible dictionaries the classic Easton and modern Lexham Bible Dictionary.

I open up the connect the testament devotional and search for Psalm 23 and find this:

March 24: Green Pastures: They Require Action

Numbers 28:1–31; 1 Corinthians 10:23–11:16; Psalm 23

Love and complete reliance on God are interrelated concepts. When we discover what love really means, we want to praise God for it. When we learn to rely on God for all our needs, we see just how loving He is as He takes care of all aspects of our lives. And this love makes us want to show love to others.

It’s those who don’t have who are most apt to come to Jesus. They’re most in need of love. For this reason, it’s hard for us who do have—a home, a car, enough food for a week—to fully understand reliance on Christ. It takes a different type of discipline.

This is why it’s still shocking to me how many people absolutely love Psa 23. It’s comforting, I suppose, and that’s why: “Yahweh is my shepherd; I will not lack for anything. In grassy pastures he makes me lie down; by quiet waters he leads me” (Psa 23:1–2). I think so many of us love it, though, because we’re aware of how frail and vulnerable we really are. It could all be gone in a moment. Disease catches up to us, and death will eventually get us all. We often forget just how important love is in all this, and we fail to recognize why Psa 23 has a special place in our hearts.

We are in the top percentile of wealth in the world. Many of our families own more than one car. Nonetheless, the death around us and the diseases we see show just how quickly it can be gone. And for this reason, we can recognize how crucial love is. Love carries people through hard times. It brings them to depend on God. Paul tells us we could have all sorts of incredible spiritual gifts, but if we don’t have love, there’s no point (1 Cor 13:1, 13).

And when Paul speaks about love, he’s not talking about something we say or even feel; he’s talking about something we do. Love requires us to give all things; or in Paul’s words, it “rejoices with the truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things” (1 Cor 13:6–7). So, those of us who understand relying on Psa 23, even in our wealth, must help those who rely on its promises but are yet to experience them. They are people all over the world, waiting for us to “bear” their burdens with them. They are the hurting, the voiceless—the people who need us to show real love.

How can you show love to the hurting and voiceless in the world today? God has called us all to action—that is what love means. So how will you act?

John D. Barry

Barry, J. D., & Kruyswijk, R. (2012). Connect the Testaments: A One-Year Daily Devotional with Bible Reading Plan. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

I could go on but Faithlife has provided a generous amount of resources that may not be as much as anyone would like but enough to allow some fairly in-depth study and reflection. From here some may want to get something like Anchor Bible Dictionary, another Bible commentary (be it one or multi-volume) or even a base package but the average 'Pat in the Pew' will have a very decent starting point for free (beyond the need to own a computer or mobile device). 

-dan

Posts 1640
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 5 2017 7:20 AM

I'm extremely pleased with what they've done with the Basic package. It ticks off all the basics that I would list for introductory, basic, study:

• Looking at the OL behind the english words, seeing other ways it's translated, and lists other places it's used. (Substitute for printed Strong's)
  • Looking up topics: eg. divorce, drinking
  • Has good bible references (TSK)
  • Commentary
  • Reading Plan
  • Devotional
  • Lectionary

It has more, but these are, in my opinion, the basics for expanding bible reading and a great intro to Logos.

They've done great work on the interface. I like that when you click on places in the passage guide that aren't functional the program tells you what the feature does and gives a link to where you can learn more or make a purchase. I do wish the Home Page selector for preferred bible had a link to purchase bibles.

I still would love to see the web app made available to everyone and beat out all the other web study apps. Rename it study.faithlife.com or something much better. Maybe one of those cool names that has nothing to do with anything but sounds real cool. (Invent a name competition!)

Side Note: I just installed w/ Basic again and got a bunch of RIs. Is this new? It's not on the product pages. Or is my @yahoo account dirty? I asked them a while back to remove everything from that account so I could try Basic. I'm hoping this is a new change. It would be an excellent (and IMO a very needed) addition.

My Base Packages

Custom PC: Core i7; 32GB RAM; GeForce GTX 970; Win 10 Pro
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T: Core i5; 4GB RAM; Win 10 Pro
ASUS Nexus 7 | Google Pixel XL | Apple iPad Pro 9.7

Posts 180
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 5 2017 8:17 AM

Randy W. Sims:
Side Note: I just installed w/ Basic again and got a bunch of RIs. Is this new? It's not on the product pages.

I don't own a package besides Basic, I also got those additional RIs (in addition to KJV and LEB) a while ago (they show up as temporary like the other Basic resources). I own a couple of other Bibles and the RIs for those are usable. I don't think there was any announcement about this, but it has been noted in this forum before. I still wonder, why that is.

Posts 4766
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 5 2017 9:32 AM

Bernhard:
I still wonder, why that is.

I believe it is because you have not paid and while FL wants to offer you theses advantages they do not want to lower the price they receive from packages.  This way there is no argument... I already own this where is my discount, rather it is you have been loaned it (temp).

-dan

Posts 9
Frank Payne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 5 2017 9:41 AM

I've been studying for 45 years. when I was a young student I was shocked at the high price of resources, so i saved and bought what I could on a priority basis. That concept does not change with Logos, but they have made things much cheaper, at least for many of the classics. I've been using Logos since version 2.0 and still save up to buy the resources I desire. Occasionally, the packages have been so desirable and reduced that I made monthly payments for 6 months to a year. Those who really have a heart to study will find a way to add to their free basic package. Just my opinion.  Frank Payne

Posts 9
Frank Payne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 5 2017 9:49 AM

If I had the free resources available in L7 45 years ago when I started studying the Bible, I would have considered myself a wealthy man. If one can afford a computer or smart phone one can make modest additions to their free Logos 7. That's my perspective anyway. I've been adding to mine a little at a time since version 2.0 in the late 90's.

Posts 918
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 5 2017 3:56 PM

I would like to evaluate the free Basic package as well.  The reason for my interest is that I'm considering it for relatives and possibly helping them add resources on occasion.

I've set up another account and ordered the basic set under that account, but haven't downloaded it yet as I'm wondering if this free basic package can be installed on the same computer I use for Logos with my own account.  Can anyone advise?

Posts 652
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 5 2017 4:09 PM

Rick Ausdahl:

I've set up another account and ordered the basic set under that account, but haven't downloaded it yet as I'm wondering if this free basic package can be installed on the same computer I use for Logos with my own account.  Can anyone advise?

Installing on the same computer using a new account seems to result in independent installations according to the folks on this forum.  That is also what I was advised in private email from Faithlife employees.

I am presuming that I do not need a new Windows user account on my PC, but merely a new Faithlife identity.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.