Logos 7 crash on start in Windows 10

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 88
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 6 2017 10:25 AM

This started happening yesterday. I open Logos 7, a splash screen appears, the disappears. If I hold down the control key while opening I get the sign on page (no option to load a blank layout). When I sign in I get the Windows message that Logos won't load. 

I'm attaching the log files

DEH0216.Logos Log Files.zip

Posts 27108
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 6 2017 11:24 AM

It looks like your catalog.db file has become corrupt. I don't want to advise you to delete it just yet. Hopefully a full fledge techie can evaluate my diagnostics and provide alternative solutions. 

How much free space is on your drive? 

FWIW - Here is the portion of the logs that I think are relevant: 

Logs:
2017-06-06 11:10:06.9244 1 Info LocalFileDatabase Setting 'C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Logos5\Data\fthjanhf.k1i\LibraryCatalog\catalog.db' as corrupt in the registry.
2017-06-06 11:10:06.9619 1 Error ApplicationUtility Error opening database at 'C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Logos5\Data\fthjanhf.k1i\LibraryCatalog\catalog.db'. ~DatabaseVersionException: Error upgrading to schema version 78
2017-06-06 11:10:06.9918 1 Info DigitalLibraryServices (237ms) Creating library catalog.
2017-06-06 11:10:07.0121 1 Info DigitalLibraryServices (260ms) Creating resource lists.
2017-06-06 11:10:07.0286 1 Info DigitalLibraryServices (341ms) Creating document manager.
2017-06-06 11:10:07.0473 1 Error ApplicationUtility Unhandled exception in async work Libronix.Utility.Data.DatabaseVersionException: Error upgrading to schema version 78 ---> System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException: SQL logic error or missing database: no such table: Info

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 301
LogosEmployee
Brandyn Whittington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 6 2017 5:40 PM

alabama24:

It looks like your catalog.db file has become corrupt. I don't want to advise you to delete it just yet. Hopefully a full fledge techie can evaluate my diagnostics and provide alternative solutions. 

How much free space is on your drive? 

FWIW - Here is the portion of the logs that I think are relevant: 

Logs:
2017-06-06 11:10:06.9244 1 Info LocalFileDatabase Setting 'C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Logos5\Data\fthjanhf.k1i\LibraryCatalog\catalog.db' as corrupt in the registry.
2017-06-06 11:10:06.9619 1 Error ApplicationUtility Error opening database at 'C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Logos5\Data\fthjanhf.k1i\LibraryCatalog\catalog.db'. ~DatabaseVersionException: Error upgrading to schema version 78
2017-06-06 11:10:06.9918 1 Info DigitalLibraryServices (237ms) Creating library catalog.
2017-06-06 11:10:07.0121 1 Info DigitalLibraryServices (260ms) Creating resource lists.
2017-06-06 11:10:07.0286 1 Info DigitalLibraryServices (341ms) Creating document manager.
2017-06-06 11:10:07.0473 1 Error ApplicationUtility Unhandled exception in async work Libronix.Utility.Data.DatabaseVersionException: Error upgrading to schema version 78 ---> System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException: SQL logic error or missing database: no such table: Info

Good eye alabama24! That's certainly where the issue lies. The key identifier is:
'C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Logos5\Data\fthjanhf.k1i\LibraryCatalog\catalog.db' as corrupt in the registry.

David, you'll want to not only remove the catalog.db in the above file location, but also remove the ResourceManager.db found under the ResourceManager folder ( found at C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Logos5\Data\fthjanhf.k1i\ResourceManager"

Your library will require a re-index, which should start automatically, but once done everything should operate just fine.

Posts 88
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 7 2017 9:04 AM

Thank you Brandyn and Alabama24. 

So far the problem is still not resolved. I removed the two files you specified, Brandyn. But that didn't change anything. I noticed after the failed start that those files had been recreated. So I deleted again, also renamed the journal-db files to "old" and rebooted the computer. Same result. All 4 were recreated. 

You mentioned the catalog.db is shown as corrupt in the registry. Is there a registry change that needs to be made?

DEH

Posts 301
LogosEmployee
Brandyn Whittington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 7 2017 9:26 AM

David Housholder:

Thank you Brandyn and Alabama24. 

So far the problem is still not resolved. I removed the two files you specified, Brandyn. But that didn't change anything. I noticed after the failed start that those files had been recreated. So I deleted again, also renamed the journal-db files to "old" and rebooted the computer. Same result. All 4 were recreated. 

You mentioned the catalog.db is shown as corrupt in the registry. Is there a registry change that needs to be made?

DEH

Logos regenerating those files is normal, my apologies as I should have mentioned that. Those database files are necessary for the program to function so when Logos finds that they're missing, it creates new ones.

We shouldn't need to do anything with the registry luckily, but what we will want is new logs, if possible. There's a chance that that catalog.db being corrupted could be something deeper, either within the software or the computer itself. If you'd prefer we can reach out to you directly as this is entering a more in-depth process of elimination, and other logs on the system (such as those found in Event Viewer) may help paint a better picture as well. 

Posts 88
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 7 2017 3:34 PM

New Logs

8272.Logos Log Files (2).zip

I'd be happy to talk with someone who can work through this with me. OR I am not adverse to uninstalling Logos and doing a fresh installation. Rebuilding the library would take time, I know, but if it's a computer problem and not a Logos problem that would not help.

DEH

Posts 301
LogosEmployee
Brandyn Whittington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 7 2017 3:49 PM

The logs are reporting more bad .dbs, we wouldn't want to go with reinstalling just yet for the concerns you voiced, and I can certainly reach out to you. I'll be emailing you directly regarding this. Looking forward to speaking with you!

Posts 301
LogosEmployee
Brandyn Whittington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 8 2017 10:25 AM

A quick update for anyone curious. A number of the .dbs that Logos relies upon had become corrupted after a HDD failure, (this included his UserPreferences, UpdateManager, DownloadManager, ResourceManager and Catalog)

After removing them, the software was able to rebuild said files and begin rediscovering/indexing his library without issue. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS