The new iMacs are out. Fusion drive/Ram question. Advice

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1188
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 10 2017 7:42 AM

Well, I have been waiting for the new iMacs to come out and they are here! I'm considering getting the base line 21". I was think of upgrading the ram from 8gb to 16gb and go with the 256gb ssd  This would come to $1,879.00

Another option would be to stick with the 8gb Ram and go with a Fusion drive   This would be 1,519.00, but I'm not sure.......

Right now I'm on a MacBook Air with 4gb of Ram and 128gb SSD. I don't really have space issue, I use it for Logos basically, it's the screen size I'm drooling over.

So...... Any advice?  

Posts 406
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 10 2017 9:36 AM

Hello Mike!  So far I have never found myself filled with regret, wishing I had purchased a computer with less RAM and a smaller or slower hard drive.  Smile

I've had good experience with a fusion drive, but I would prefer a 1 TB SSD option.  A 1 TB SSD doesn't appear to be available for baseline model, so I would probably opt for 16GB ram and the 1 TB Fusion drive if I wanted the baseline 21.5" computer.   It sounds like you don't the the storage capacity that I do, so keep that in mind.  

Whatever configuration you decide, I would certainly recommend that you upgrade the ram beyond the standard 8GB. 

Enjoy!

Posts 4570
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 12:38 AM

Brad:
Whatever configuration you decide, I would certainly recommend that you upgrade the ram beyond the standard 8GB. 

but might consider a different source for the extra ram. Apple do tend to overcharge for that.

Posts 27269
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 3:45 AM

Mike Binks:
but might consider a different source for the extra ram.

...but verify first that RAM for the device is "user upgradable." I heard that this was the case for the new iMac Pro, but didn't research other models. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 918
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 5:35 AM

Also, I'm looking at the Wikipedia article for the fusion drive and I see that the current 1TB version does not have the same flash storage configuration that the larger drives have. Only 24GB according to the article.  This is different than the older versions of the 1TB fusion drive (128GB flash).  Reports on performance from other users experience may be different depending on when they purchased their hardware.  Something worth checking into I think before you decide on a fusion drive.

Posts 54
Michael Sheaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 6:31 PM

I have the current generation (late 2015) iMac 27" Retina 5K with the 2 TB Fusion drive. I purchased it with 8 GB RAM, and immediately ordered 8 GB more from MacSales.com; I think it cost me about US$ 100.. I was surprised at how blazingly fast the Fusion drive is; it feels as zippy as the 512 GB SSD in my MacBook Pro Retina. MacSales has great prices on RAM and fantastic support; they are my go-to place for any upgrades. 

One thing you might want to seriously consider is going with the 27" instead of the 21", for the extra real estate is really handy for hard core Bible study with Logos. And they dropped the entry level price point for the new 27" models.

Hope this helps!

Posts 852
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 6:42 PM

Michael Sheaver:
blazingly fast the Fusion drive is; it feels as zippy as the 512 GB SSD in my MacBook Pro Retina

Agreed. I cannot tell a difference between 3TB Fusion drive and the 1TB SSD in MBP Retina.

Posts 27269
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 6:51 PM

Michael Sheaver:
One thing you might want to seriously consider is going with the 27" instead of the 21", for the extra real estate is really handy for hard core Bible study with Logos.

I think the 21 inch is too big! 

Posts 1188
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 12 2017 6:57 PM

Thanks for the replies......I am still pricing out the various options. I don't think I can manage the 27".......I am glad to hear the fusion drives are comparable to the SSD's though........I will probably go with the Fusion.

Posts 147
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 13 2017 8:30 AM

Mike Tourangeau:

Well, I have been waiting for the new iMacs to come out and they are here! I'm considering getting the base line 21". I was think of upgrading the ram from 8gb to 16gb and go with the 256gb ssd  This would come to $1,879.00

Another option would be to stick with the 8gb Ram and go with a Fusion drive   This would be 1,519.00, but I'm not sure.......

Right now I'm on a MacBook Air with 4gb of Ram and 128gb SSD. I don't really have space issue, I use it for Logos basically, it's the screen size I'm drooling over.

So...... Any advice?  

Why not just get one of these?

Tax-deductible?

https://tinyurl.com/y7swprpf

Posts 27269
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 13 2017 10:26 AM

Randy Lane:

A number of sites have weighed in on the iMac Pro and its cost. From what I gather, the entry model is extremely competitive, likely beating (most) all the competition. When you go to the extreme other side... all bets are off. There certainly is an "Apple Tax" on memory. 

Posts 4570
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 14 2017 12:34 AM

alabama24:

Randy Lane:

A number of sites have weighed in on the iMac Pro and its cost. From what I gather, the entry model is extremely competitive, likely beating (most) all the competition. When you go to the extreme other side... all bets are off. There certainly is an "Apple Tax" on memory. 

Indeed and nobody really knows just what an iMac Pro will really cost. The machine would certainly be 'over the top' for the average student/logos user. Apple really are aiming these at resource intensive creative types who need video editing etc processes that consume huge amounts of processor time.

The iMac though is a great machine and I think a good long term investment. The only thing that I would do/have done is upgrade the memory by using the help and advice of a company like Crucial who guarantee their products.

Posts 54
Michael Sheaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 14 2017 4:53 AM

I have looked at Crucial myself, and they are way too expensive Get your RAM from Macsales.com, for it is MUCH cheaper AND guaranteed as well. Not only that, they specialize in service and upgrades for Macs, they KNOW Macs, and they have products that, just work. My friend pointed me to them, and I am amazed at how easy to use and inexpensive their stuff is.

Please forgive me, but on another note, that "Apple tax" moniker is just a media invention designed to deflect from the real value that the Mac ecosystem provides. We all know that initial investment in Macs is high, everybody gets it. But did you know that long-term total cost of ownership (TCO) of Mac is a FRACTION of the Wintel platform? Support costs are way less. The hardware lasts WAY longer. I know all this because I have personally invested in and used both platforms for more than a decade each, and on every possible measure of performance except for one (initial investment), the Mac wins hands-down. Add to all this that little thing called ease-of-use, and it is no wonder Mac loyalty is so high. But don't just take my word for it. Look at what big business like IBM has found about the benefits of Macs for the enterprise.

Posts 27269
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 14 2017 10:48 AM

Michael Sheaver:
that "Apple tax" moniker is just a media invention

You won't find many Apple homers bigger than me, but there is an Apple Tax... on some things. Memory is one of them, and you know it too. 

Michael Sheaver:
Get your RAM from Macsales.com

Posts 54
Michael Sheaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 14 2017 11:53 AM

Agreed; that is why I like MacSales.com. Like I said before, I was a able to up the RAM in my iMac from 8 to 16 GB for right around $100, and have not had a lick of trouble with it.

Posts 1188
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 14 2017 7:35 PM

Michael Sheaver:

Agreed; that is why I like MacSales.com. Like I said before, I was a able to up the RAM in my iMac from 8 to 16 GB for right around $100, and have not had a lick of trouble with it.

I guess I have 3 concert/questions with doing this:

1. Doesn't this void the warranty?

2. Is it difficult to do in an iMac?

3. Could you do it with the baseline 21" model?

Posts 54
Michael Sheaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 14 2017 7:57 PM

1. Doesn't this void the warranty? Not if you pull the RAM out before taking it to the Genius Bar for support.

2. Is it difficult to do in an iMac? It is insanely easy and fast, and can be done in less than 5 minutes. Watch this video on doing it on an older model; it is basically the same one the new models as well: https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2011_mem/

3. Could you do it with the baseline 21" model? Yes

Hope this helps!

Posts 1188
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 14 2017 8:14 PM

Michael Sheaver:

1. Doesn't this void the warranty? Not if you pull the RAM out before taking it to the Genius Bar for support.

2. Is it difficult to do in an iMac? It is insanely easy and fast, and can be done in less than 5 minutes. Watch this video on doing it on an older model; it is basically the same one the new models as well: https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2011_mem/

Hope this helps!

That IS insanely easy! however I can't find at mac sales.com RAM that says it is compatible with the 21" model recently released......

Posts 1188
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 14 2017 8:23 PM

FYI: I have found this on the apple site: 

*Memory isn't removable by users on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), iMac (21.5-inch, 2017), and iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017). If the memory in one of these computers needs to be replaced, contact an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you’d like to upgrade the memory in one of these models, an Apple Authorized Service Provider can help."

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201191

Posts 852
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 15 2017 5:18 AM

Michael Sheaver:

This is incorrect. The memory can be configured to different levels only at the time of purchase on the 21" model.

Only the 27" model is user accessible and configurable by the user after it is purchased.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS