Pericope in NRSV TOC : Why not other Bibles?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3644
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 29 2017 6:13 AM

I discovered by chance today that the NRSV TOC allows the user to expand chapter nodes and see subnodes for pericopes:

This is great. Wondering whether somehow I had missed that with regard to other Bibles I used or whether it was a new feature, I checked the NASB and ESV. The chapter nodes are not expandable to pericope titles. Since the latter have pericopes titles, I was wondering why the functionality of the NRSV TOC is not extended to them (and whichever other Bibles to which it may be applicable)?

Posts 3644
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 1:22 AM

The New Jerusalem Bible Reader's Edition also has a detailed TOC, although it is not structured by chapters like the NRSV but by section titles:

Posts 6154
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 9:22 AM

Wow, cool! I wish every Bible had that 👍 

DAL

Ps. Even the mobile version has it!

Posts 1678
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 9:40 AM

DAL:
I wish every Bible had that 👍

What would be even slicker is if they could make the pericope heading part of the index in bibles where they are available. Then we could enter a BCV or a pericope heading in the reference box in the same way you can in the Go box.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 3644
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 10:44 AM

Robert M. Warren:
Then we could enter a BCV or a pericope heading in the reference box in the same way you can in the Go box.

I thought of suggesting that but refrained because it would result in seeing the same kind of delays there are in the command box when Logos "parses" the terms entered to match them to different existing entries. I think users might find it irritating if they had to bear with this every time they simply want to go to a reference. So I would actually be against (until Logos can figure out a way to eliminate those delays in auto-populate).

Posts 27267
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 1:12 PM

You would also need to know the exact name of the pericope, lessening the usefulness. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 101
Dan Langston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 1:27 PM

Yes

Posts 1678
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 5:22 AM

Hmmm....

I put together a Spurgeon's Sermon PB with mixed indexes (bible, sermon titles as headwords). With all 60 volumes in one PB, it's a big ol' boy, but when I type things in the reference box, they seem to pop right up, and only after I type a few letters. And if I type a full bible reference really fast, it gets to it really fast. Perhaps I'm being simple-minded about the technical issues, but this appears to be analogous to a bible with mixed indexes.

I should add that in the last year I bought a refurb with lots of memory and a decent processor and added an SSD.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 3644
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 7:22 AM

My guess if that if something like this was implemented in Bibles, it would work the same way as it does in Passage and Exegetical Guides. A number of users (myself included) experience frustrating delays while the box matches the reference against a number of different options. There are so many and overall, I remain unconvinced that "it must be so". Logos has always struggled (even before there were as many datasets and tagged resources) with various forms of sluggishness. 

If a solution can be implemented that makes it immediate, good. 

Regardless, I think it would be useful to have NRSV type of TOC universalised to all Bibles (The NJB is a special case).

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS