Hebrew and Akkadian words

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1397
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 13 2020 4:12 PM

Another bump for Akkadian/Hebrew resources, and the CAD.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 318
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2020 2:16 AM

How about for free?

https://b-ok2.org/s/Hayim%20Tawil%20/?e=1

I downloaded this tonight inasmuch as I’m currently amassing as much ancient Semitic lexical sources as possible.  But (pardon my ignorance here), what precisely is this source used for?  I am assuming etymological studies?

Also, what exactly is the import of Akkadian relative to Biblical Hebrew & Aramaic?  I am assuming that Akkadian (& possibly Ugaritic?) was a precursor to these biblical languages—much like Classical Greek was for Koine’?

Posts 10446
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2020 6:36 AM

Puddin’:
what exactly is the import of Akkadian relative to Biblical Hebrew & Aramaic?  

Well, it's the oldest of the semitic family. For ease of memory, think Assyrian and Babylonian. And it almost outlived hebrew (until hebrew was resurrected).

Unlike Ugarit, which surrounds a 'royal' environment, akkadian has more everyday examples. The value of this, is in culture embedded in the samples. And very  interesting. Just randomly opening the book, is a lesson in the past. 

Using english, an example. Psa 79:8 "Let your compassion come swiftly toward us for we have sunk very low." (Israel to YHWH).

Akk-sample: "they oppressed the weak and put them in the power of the mighty ..." (word comparison is 'sunk very low').

From a non-linguistic daily use, I see it similar to MM for NT-greek.  Linguistically, of course, the problem is complicated by Palestine overwhelmed by Assyria (akkadian). Judah being shipped to Babylon (akkadian-ish). And then, aramaic re-flavoring the whole thing.

Posts 1397
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2020 1:47 PM

The Hebrew Bible (inc. the Aramaic sections) preserves a very limited corpus and vocabulary. Akkadian, by contrast, has thousands of documents over a very wide range of time and geography encompassing the Hebrew Bible; plus, all that time in Babylon. 

This is why you can't be a competent Hebrew Bible scholar without some exposure to Akkadian; I had three years, though I've gotten quite rusty since then. It's useful for philology, history, culture, etc. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 318
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2020 9:07 PM

Thank you Denise & Ben.  I will look further into Akkadian.  I subscribed to the annual Master Lectures from Zondervan & they have classes in Ugaritic, Syriac, Aramaic, Greek & Hebrew.  Already had 1 year of Greek (now slowly taking Wallace’s Greek II) & 1 year of Hebrew.  For me, Hebrew was wayyy harder than Greek (cue the vowel pointings 😡).

Wow Ben—3 years?  Impressive—you’re wayyy ahead of me.

Denise—good analogy w. MM & Koine’.  For me, the value of MM today is reading their commentary on Oxyrhincus with Grenfell & Hunt.

Will start digging into Akkadian👍.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS