7.8 SR-1 (7.8.0.0037) is Now Available

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2635
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 28 2017 10:09 AM

To immediately update to the current stable version enter the Update Now command. Otherwise, the app will automatically update the next time it's scheduled to check for updates.

Release Notes

Download Link

Posts 3218
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 28 2017 10:17 AM

I'm glad that the version is now referred to as SR-1, but is that the same bug fix previously included in the updated 7.8 (7.8.0.0034)?

Posts 2635
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 28 2017 10:42 AM

PetahChristian:

I'm glad that the version is now referred to as SR-1, but is that the same bug fix previously included in the updated 7.8 (7.8.0.0034)?

No PetahChristian, this is a different crash that we didn't discover until after we shipped 7.8 (7.8.0.0034). The reason 7.8 (7.8.0.0034) was not called SR-1 is that the previous build was unpublished. There were some timing issues internally with how things published which made this sequence unavoidable. 

Posts 3218
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 28 2017 10:53 AM

Philana R. Crouch:
No PetahChristian, this is a different crash that we didn't discover until after we shipped 7.8 (7.8.0.0034).

Was asking to know if I should update now or could put it off. Thanks, Philana!

Posts 2310
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 28 2017 2:13 PM

Updated resources count is no longer working on 7.8 SR-1...

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 78
Kelvin Chiu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 28 2017 2:55 PM

"No PetahChristian, this is a different crash that we didn't discover until after we shipped 7.8 (7.8.0.0034). The reason 7.8 (7.8.0.0034) was not called SR-1 is that the previous build was unpublished. There were some timing issues internally with how things published which made this sequence unavoidable. "

Do you have a QA team to test the fix before you ship?

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 2:12 AM

Kelvin Chiu:
Do you have a QA team to test the fix before you ship?

Philana is part of that team! And yes, the fix would have been tested.

But should QA test a first-time installation for crashes (the reason for SR-1), or test for the other crashes that caused additional 'RC' releases? As a former QA professional I don't bemoan these as it is impossible to predict all possible crash scenarios and incude them in formal regression testing. That's why Faithlife involve users in beta testing as we are more likely to encounter crashes and other scenarios that produce bugs. Note that Logos for Windows is one variety of the bible software. Then there is Logos for Mac, and Verbum/Noet for both OS. As with all software, there are more bugs waiting to be discovered by you and I, and Faithlife! Hopefully the worst bugs are in the past.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2405
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 4:02 AM

Dave Hooton:

Philana is part of that team! And yes, the fix would have been tested.

But should QA test a first-time installation for crashes (the reason for SR-1), or test for the other crashes that caused additional 'RC' releases? As a former QA professional I don't bemoan these as it is impossible to predict all possible crash scenarios and incude them in formal regression testing. That's why Faithlife involve users in beta testing as we are more likely to encounter crashes and other scenarios that produce bugs. Note that Logos for Windows is one variety of the bible software. Then there is Logos for Mac, and Verbum/Noet for both OS. As with all software, there are more bugs waiting to be discovered by you and I, and Faithlife! Hopefully the worst bugs are in the past.

Thanks to all the test personal both in house and Beta.  I too have been there and done that.  

All the black box testing [[where you test to the specs of the program]] and all the white box testing [[where you ensure that every bit of code is executed]] done in house verify that the program works but it is the Beta testing by real users that find where it breaks.  [[The programmers thought that you would always do 'A' then 'B' then 'C' but when you do 'C' then 'B' then 'A' something breaks]]

What can be real 'FUN' is where a team reads every line of code.  

Posts 2310
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 4:28 AM

David Ames:

No, the real fun is debugging someone else's code who forgot to put in any comments!

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 555
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 4:50 AM

The 7.8 hot fix release fixed my problem with the program hanging when loading (I'm using the Mac version and i have Logos set to load automatically when i log in). Now with 7.8 SR1 the program is back to the exact same behavior as the original 7.8 before the hot fix. It requires a force quit and reload to function.

John

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 1:18 PM

John Kaess:
Now with 7.8 SR1 the program is back to the exact same behavior as the original 7.8 before the hot fix. It requires a force quit and reload to function.

What version of Mac? Does it work OK with a manual start rather than letting the OS start it?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 555
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 3:24 PM

I have a 2014 27" iMac running fully up to date sierra. Yes, it loads without a problem if i load it myself, but if it us opened automaticallly at bootup, them i get a bkank home page and a completely unresponsive app which must be force quit. I had this behavior with the first release of 7.8, then with the second release it seemed to load fine, then with 7.8 sr1 it is giving the unresponsive app again requiring a force quit.

Posts 2405
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 6:38 PM

Jan Krohn:

David Ames:

No, the real fun is debugging someone else's code who forgot to put in any comments!

True, and also when the original design specs have "mysteriously" disappeared.

But everyone at Faithlife writes good comments and keeps design specs.  [[insert smiley for crossed fingers]]

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 2:42 AM

John Kaess:
I had this behavior with the first release of 7.8, then with the second release it seemed to load fine, then with 7.8 sr1 it is giving the unresponsive app again requiring a force quit.

I hope this issue doesn't get lost in this thread. If necessary, create a separate Bug thread with logs.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 555
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 4:51 AM

I don't know any way to make the log utility run prior to Logos being loaded with login, and the program loads with no problem if loaded manually after login completes. Just to be clear, I have not had this problem prior to the initial 7.8 release. I've had logos load automatically at login in for months without any problem before 7.8

Posts 21918
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 5:06 AM

John Kaess:
I don't know any way to make the log utility run prior to Logos being loaded with login

Don't steps 1 and 2 at https://www.logos.com/support/mac/report-problem address this?

Not a Mac user so can't check but it looks as though it should cover it.

Posts 555
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 10:17 AM

Graham Criddle:
Don't steps 1 and 2 at https://www.logos.com/support/mac/report-problem address this?

No they don't. The problem occurs when logging in and Logos is automatically loaded. In order to get the logs to report the problem you have to have the utility running BEFORE Logos starts. There is no way to control  having the Logos utility load first and then the Logos app in a Mac login.

Posts 27678
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 11:04 AM

The Logos utility simply turns logging on or off in a simple, visual manner. If you have logging enabled, it will still be enabled after a restart. The utility is not needed to run. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 555
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 30 2017 11:17 AM

OK. Here are the logs. I used the "sample" option since the program seems to be hanging.freezing

1614.LogosLogs.johnkaess.20170730-141421.zip 

Posts 2635
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 2 2017 3:34 PM

John Kaess:

The 7.8 hot fix release fixed my problem with the program hanging when loading (I'm using the Mac version and i have Logos set to load automatically when i log in). Now with 7.8 SR1 the program is back to the exact same behavior as the original 7.8 before the hot fix. It requires a force quit and reload to function.

John

John,

I was able to reproduce this issue and have a case open.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS