This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3637
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 31 2017 12:48 AM

Irving L. Jensen Collection

Jensen Collection Cover.jpg

by

Irving L. Jensen

A Review

Faithlife and the family of Irving L. Jensen have provided a great collection of 24 Bible Study tools aimed at students with a wide range of previous exposure to the Scripture.

For those just beginning their study of scripture, whether a new believer or a long time member of the Family of God but with little experience in personal study, there a number of individual book studies. Some these (e.g. the study on the Prison Epistles) provide introductory material before jumping into a series of questions which will help the reader dig, understand, and apply, the Scriptures to their own life. Along with books on individual books, there are also titles that cover larger portions of scripture. For example, The Layman’s Bible Study Notebook provides a set of workbooks covering the whole New Testament.  Simply Understanding the Bible includes an introduction to every book of the Bible (alas, it does not provide study questions to guide the student into deeper study). Except for this book, there appears to be less than complete coverage of the Old Testament, A number of key OT book are covered, but there are some key OT books which seem to be missed (e.g. Isaiah). As noted earlier, the New Testament is covered quite well - both with titles covering multiple Bible books and those focusing on a single book (e.g. each of the gospels has an individual book).

There are also tools for those who are ready to dig in for themselves. At the gentler end of the spectrum is Jensen’s Enjoy Your Bible: Making the Most of Your Time With God’s Word.  The ten chapters (130 pages) begin to introduce the reader to the tools needed to begin a habit of personal inductive Bible Study. For those wanting a bit more in-depth discussion of the inductive Bible Study Method, Jensen’s  Independent Bible Study provides 6 chapters plus appendices with more details on developing a personal Bible Study habit.

Besides the book studies, there are also three character studies within the collection (David, Ruth, and Mary).  

I and other users of the LOGOS Bible Study Library waited a long time to gain access to this material - at times even wondering if it would make it into publication. When the Jensen family became involved in the process, things moved along more quickly. This collection of books is provided for use with LOGOS Bible Software - available at various price ranges, including a Basic version available with a few key books for free.

These books are certainly suitable for individual study.  Though instructions are included within the collection for using the material with a small group or Sunday School class, it is not clear to me how this can be easily accomplished given that the individual books are mostly out of print (updated editions from another publisher are available for several of the titles). Some clarification from LOGOS or the copyright holder may be needed.

This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions are mine alone.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 6114
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 3 2017 4:14 AM

Bump ✊ 

Posts 9813
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 15 2018 2:16 PM

Floyd Johnson:

A Review

Faithlife and the family of Irving L. Jensen have provided a great collection of 24 Bible Study tools aimed at students with a wide range of previous exposure to the Scripture.

Thanks Floyd for this review. I think it helps readers to understand the content better. The collection itself is currently unavailable from Logos.com, which as per another thread is due to the fact that Faithlife included one small book into this collection that was not originally planned to be part of it and will be removed - and they somehow missed to include the Do-It-Yourself Bible Study books on Romans and on Galatians plus 2nd Corinthians. Those two books are now included in the DIY Bible Study Upgrade which is on PrePub for even less than $5. 

• As per my thinking, this small PrePub is worthwile as a standalone buy, even for people who don't have any prior works by Irving Jensen.
  • Those who own the collection will undoubtedly be eager to complete it by getting the Upgrade. 
  • If I understand correctly, Faithlife is aiming at getting the upgrade produced and then merging it with the 23 remaining books of the collection to relaunch the then 25-volume edition. I fully expect dynamic pricing will make sure that those who go for the 2-vol Upgrade will not pay again for those books if they decide to go for the full collection later on once it's available again.   

Since I'm impatient to see the two books downloading to my library - 'still crazy after all these years' of being a Logos CP and PrePub user - I keep wondering why the Upgrade (which is a steal!) is currently still gathering interest and is way down the list of PrePubs when sorted by bestselling. The sample pages show how Jensen packed a lot of info into the pages for us, but expects us to actually work the text by ourselves (alone or in a group setting, as Floyd said above). I got my hands on a couple of dead-tree editions of those DIY Bible Studies - to a certain extent they remind me of the Serendipity small group material, but much more text-focused, with less frill. I'm looking forward to using them on my PC.

Go for it and join the PrePub today!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1164
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2018 10:39 PM

+1 Pre-orderedSmile

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Mid 2014 2.5GHz RAM:16GB SSD:512GB macOS Mojave 10.14.1 | iPhone X iOS 12.1

Posts 9813
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 26 2018 12:45 AM

LimJK:

+1 Pre-orderedSmile

May many more do the same!

Posts 6114
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 26 2018 5:57 AM

I still don’t understand why they stopped selling the entire collection.

DAL

Posts 604
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 26 2018 6:02 AM

It does seem strange that FL has stopped the main collection but are selling an upgrade ? It did look really useful as well which is a shame.

Posts 9813
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 26 2018 7:29 AM

DAL:

It seems that while they got an agreement with Moody to include some of their works into it, this didn't cover any book from the Moody-published "Jensen Bible Self-Study Guide". In terms of running bible study, the collection is intended to include all books from the "Do-It-Yourself Bible Studies" series, published by another publisher. However, when Logos put the collection together and produced it, the 2 Corinthians volume from the JBSSG was included. My understanding is that they want to take this out and include the DIYBS volume on 2 Cor instead (together with the Romans and Galatians DIYBS which were left out of the original collection when it was produced).

So, they stopped selling the collection because they had no contract in place for selling one of the items inside the collection. Makes sense, as there actually is no legal alternative.

Instead of putting up a new collection page which does not have the upcoming volumes, they decided to wait until those are available - this is maybe a move to get more people on board buying the Upgrade, but more likely just saves setting everything up for the interim collection and the redoing it once more for the full collection.

Posts 784
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2018 1:01 PM

NB.Mick:

DAL:

It seems that while they got an agreement with Moody to include some of their works into it, this didn't cover any book from the Moody-published "Jensen Bible Self-Study Guide". In terms of running bible study, the collection is intended to include all books from the "Do-It-Yourself Bible Studies" series, published by another publisher. However, when Logos put the collection together and produced it, the 2 Corinthians volume from the JBSSG was included. My understanding is that they want to take this out and include the DIYBS volume on 2 Cor instead (together with the Romans and Galatians DIYBS which were left out of the original collection when it was produced).

So, they stopped selling the collection because they had no contract in place for selling one of the items inside the collection. Makes sense, as there actually is no legal alternative.

Instead of putting up a new collection page which does not have the upcoming volumes, they decided to wait until those are available - this is maybe a move to get more people on board buying the Upgrade, but more likely just saves setting everything up for the interim collection and the redoing it once more for the full collection.

Upon speaking with Karen (Irving Jensen's daughter), this is my understanding as well.  They WILL be bringing the collection back, but needed to fix the 2 Corinthians issue and add in the Romans and Galatians study so that all of the Do it Yourself Bible Studies that the family has rights to are in the collection.

Hope that helps, but I'll contact Karen and tell her to come on here and confirm.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2018 1:21 PM

I pre-ordered in April... I wait with antici...pation...

Posts 6114
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2018 2:39 PM

Thanks NB Mick and Cynthia for the explanation.  It’s sad the upgrade has stalled in prepub.  Oh well, good things come to those who wait 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 9
Karen J Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2018 6:22 PM

Thanks, Cynthia, for alerting me to this thread.

I am actually surprised they have not made the Jensen Collection available again (minus the Moody book), because this was Faithlife's expectation in an email to me March 13, 2018:

The new collection will be available soon but I can’t guarantee an exact timeline. We aren’t going to wait to release the two new titles before we make the original collection for sale again. We just need to take out the Moody title, which won’t take too long.

So that was 4 months ago . . . (and my email today asking for an update triggered an autoresponder that my contact is out until next Friday, July 13). So I'll come back here and let you know what I hear. (I also asked if they could at least use the phrase "temporarily unavailable" on the Collection page rather than "no longer available for purchase." That just seems misleading to me.)

Back in March, when I asked if the 2 additional titles in the DIY series would be added to the Collection eventually, she responded:

The new Jensen collection will not have the 2 additional titles, as they are not yet produced. The 2 additional titles will be their own product that people who already own the current collection can purchase.

And of course (as someone back in the Spring questioned), no one who received the Moody book in the Collection will lose access to that book, even after it's been removed from the Collection.

Thanks to all of you who are helping promote the upgrade! 

Tomorrow, I will return and post a reaction re: the reviewer's comment that there was no Isaiah book in the Collection.

Good night, all!

Karen (Jensen) Collins

Posts 6114
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2018 6:52 PM

Thanks KJ! 

Those were exactly my thoughts! Why not remove the moody titles and sell the collection without them. Anyway, hopefully FL will update you soon on this matter.

DAL

Posts 9
Karen J Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2018 5:18 PM

I'm back to offer a couple more responses to sections of Floyd's review:

Ahhhhh . . . ISAIAH . . . . Yes, indeed, my father DID write an ISAIAH manuscript for Here's Life Publishers.

Floyd Johnson:

Except for this book, there appears to be less than complete coverage of the Old Testament, A number of key OT book are covered, but there are some key OT books which seem to be missed (e.g. Isaiah). 

I checked my files today, and as early as 2001, I was beginning the process of retyping my father’s ISAIAH manuscript (in the Do-It-Yourself series) for Bible.org to be able to offer.  I know I didn’t get very far—I had a full-time job at the time and life no doubt got in the way. 

Since then, my husband and I have moved once. A few years ago, I remembered that manuscript and began looking for it. I looked in every room in the house, every closet, every drawer. Nothing. I was sick. How could I lose a box the size of a ream of paper, with a cover that’s dark blue? Surely I hadn’t accidentally tossed it. I still remember the onion-skin paper in it that my mother used when typing Dad’s manuscripts back in the 60s and 70s. She used carbon paper to make the copies. (I still cringe to think of the task before her whenever she had to make a correction, both on the original and the copies.) 

I have handed it over to God and asked Him to reveal its hiding place in His timing, if it’s His will that it be published.

As I was thinking about that, and how long it has been missing, I couldn't help but recall a parallel missing book: the DIY book that Cynthia Feenstra searched for, which brought the two of us together! OK, so now my faith has been renewed--if God answered her prayer after 5 years of searching, surely 17 years is not beyond the realm of possibility! 

And so you can be sure that I will post it here when it's been FOUND!  Smile

Okay, now another comment of Floyd's:

Floyd Johnson:

Though instructions are included within the collection for using the material with a small group or Sunday School class, it is not clear to me how this can be easily accomplished given that the individual books are mostly out of print (updated editions from another publisher are available for several of the titles). Some clarification from LOGOS or the copyright holder may be needed.

I responded to this portion of his review last year after his review was posted, following a conversation I had with Faithlife about how to answer this, so this has been approved by Faithlife:

• "Our family still retains the copyright on these books, and we are delighted to give authorization to any group leader to print copies for classroom use. No permission request to us is necessary."

Thank you again for the interest you continue to show in my father's works and the inductive method of study! It's always an encouragement to read your posts . . .

Karen

Posts 3637
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2018 6:31 PM

KJ Collins:
I'm back to offer a couple more responses to sections of Floyd's review:

Thanks for the follow-up to the review. Blessings ...

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 9813
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2018 2:38 AM

KJ Collins:
The new collection will be available soon but I can’t guarantee an exact timeline. We aren’t going to wait to release the two new titles before we make the original collection for sale again. We just need to take out the Moody title, which won’t take too long.

Update: It now is available again, 23 books (i.e. the former collection minus the Moody 2 Cor study which is now available on its own). Faithlife seems to prepare for selling the books individually at some point in the future, too (look here)!

The collection Upgrade (Romans, Galatians & 2 Cor) for $4,99 is not part of the bundle and still gathering interest: https://www.logos.com/product/150651/do-it-yourself-bible-studies-upgrade 

Thanks to DAL for telling: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/172124.aspx ! 

Posts 63
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2018 2:55 AM

Could someone who has the collection pick a small New Testament passage and post content from: 1) Laymen’s Bible Study Notebook, 2) survey of NT,  and 3) the book specific content.  I’m still not clear on the differences between these resources and how much overlap there is from one to another.

Posts 9
Karen J Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2018 6:45 AM

What a great surprise! Thanks for posting, NB and Dal! I was actually still awaiting word from Faithlife as to the status of that collection: "Let me check with Marketing and find out, because I don't know why it hasn't been released again this late in the year."

And the individual titles being made available is a wonderful surprise as well! 

In His grace,

Karen

Posts 9
Karen J Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2018 9:05 AM

Hi, Bryce:

Thank you for that request -- I'm happy to show you the corresponding sections in each of those resources so you can compare them. I chose the first chapter of TITUS (in the DIY book, it's just Unit 11, the first 9 verses, but the entire chapter in the Layman's book). 

Bryce Hufford:

Could someone who has the collection pick a small New Testament passage and post content from: 1) Laymen’s Bible Study Notebook, 2) survey of NT,  and 3) the book specific content.  I’m still not clear on the differences between these resources and how much overlap there is from one to another.

Karen

0143.TITUS - NT Survey.pdf

5611.TITUS 1 - LAYMAN'S.pdf

5148.TITUS 1 vs 1-9 - DIY Hebrews and Pastoral Epistles.pdf

Posts 63
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 8 2018 2:28 PM

Karen J Collins:

Hi, Bryce:

Thank you for that request -- I'm happy to show you the corresponding sections in each of those resources so you can compare them. I chose the first chapter of TITUS (in the DIY book, it's just Unit 11, the first 9 verses, but the entire chapter in the Layman's book). 

Bryce Hufford:

Karen

Karen - thanks a lot.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS