Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 1 2017 11:34 AM

I love this Free Book for Logos Now User and have to say this will be a Reason to stay. And I allways get Book I will use in my Study in Patristic and Textual Critism...soo I'm intrested in the old Books :-)

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 1 2017 12:31 PM

Myke Harbuck:

I read a post quite a while back which made the argument, quite convincingly, that PD resources were no less expensive for FL to develop than copyrighted material, so there was virtually no difference in the wholesale cost of PD vs copyrighted resources.

If that is the case, why are all (or most all) the free books PD resources?

In addition to the cost of producing the book, Logos has to pay royalties every time a book is sold. This will probably be a percentage of sales, but there's likely to be a minimum. The agreement with the publisher will probably specify a minimum price too, not just s minimum royalty. That means giveaways and big sales of modern works will probably only be possible with the explicit permission of the publisher. That could be done, of course, but what's in it for the publisher?

Posts 3659
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 1 2017 12:45 PM

This resource was new to the LN/Free set this month. LN is listening. Thank you!

New International Commentary: The   Epistles of Paul to the Philippians and to Philemon

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 1 2017 2:21 PM

BillS:

New International Commentary: The   Epistles of Paul to the Philippians and to Philemon

This actually was already on the list, and the only reason I can confirm that is it is on my "LN Free Books" wish list and has been for a while. It is an older volume from the set that has since been replaced. Thankful it is available though!

Posts 556
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 2 2017 8:49 AM

Big Smile

I myself would really like to see them do something like Amazon does with their Prime membership. 

9.99 per month gives you the opportunity  to read countless books across a broad spectrum of subjects of books both new and old. 

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 3 2017 7:07 PM

Matthew:

BillS:

This actually was already on the list, and the only reason I can confirm that is it is on my "LN Free Books" wish list and has been for a while. It is an older volume from the set that has since been replaced. Thankful it is available though!

That's what I picked this month also. I would not have paid for it, but glad to add it for free.

Posts 4917
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 4 2017 7:02 PM

FL doesn't have a customer base the size of Amazon and aside from a few novelty items all its sales revenue comes from electronic books. I don't think it would be financially viable for them to offer something like that. 

Jesse Blevins:

Big Smile

I myself would really like to see them do something like Amazon does with their Prime membership. 

9.99 per month gives you the opportunity  to read countless books across a broad spectrum of subjects of books both new and old. 

Posts 254
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 4 2017 11:07 PM

It's also telling that Amazon's deal doesn't include books from most of the major publishers.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 5 2017 1:42 AM

danwdoo:

It's also telling that Amazon's deal doesn't include books from most of the major publishers.

Indeed. I trialled Amazon's offering for a month, and found it extremely difficult to find any books worth reading. I went through my "Want to Read" list of over 500 items, and found only 4 were available.

Plus there's the big difference that with Kindle, you'll only really be reading one book at a time, whereas with Logos you could actually be 'using' dozens or even hundreds of books a month through search results and guides. So although Kindle offer thousands of books, they'll only pay royalties on a few a month. It wouldn't be like that with Logos.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS