Best e-ink Reader for Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 71
David R. Bess | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 17 2017 1:50 PM

My apologies if this question is in the wrong category, but I did a search and didn't find anything that pertains to it.

What is the best e-ink reader for Logos?  I was really heartbroken when the Send to Kindle feature was discontinued, but it doesn't look like it's coming back anytime soon.  I have an iPad mini, but books are difficult to read on it.  I've read a few comments about Android e-ink readers, but I'm not familiar with them.

What do you recommend as an e-ink reader that would be compatible with Logos?  I have a Kindle that I use for everything that is "non-Logos," but I'm considering getting something to use for my Logos resources.

Thanks. 

Posts 27451
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 2:19 PM

David R. Bess:
What is the best e-ink reader for Logos?  I was really heartbroken when the Send to Kindle feature was discontinued, but it doesn't look like it's coming back anytime soon.

Do you live in the states? This topic comes up from time to time, with varying answers. I have found many replies from those outside the US, talking about devices not easily acquired in the states. You would be looking for an android eInk device, with the newest build of android possible. It is a risky move, for you could find yourself with an outdated version of android, unsupported by FL. 

Another option is to manually use "send to kindle," which still does work. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 2:26 PM

Someone is working on a 6 one but his funding is not yet near to the production level :

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-ultimate-e-reader#/

-dan

Posts 512
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 2:34 PM

Alabama24

I thought the send to Kindle feature was discontinued. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 2:39 PM

Bobby Terhune:

Alabama24

I thought the send to Kindle feature was discontinued. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

I think he may be referring to Amazon's Send To Kindle app for PC/MAC:

You could export your desired text to a PDF or Word document using Print/Export in Logos, and then use the Send To Kindle app to import that document into your Kindle.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 71
David R. Bess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 2:47 PM

The Send to Kindle function is no longer internal to Logos, but is now just a Windows program.  It's not nearly as helpful.

I do live in the United States, so I'm limited to readers available here.

Posts 27451
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 4:15 PM

David R. Bess:

The Send to Kindle function is no longer internal to Logos, but is now just a Windows program.  It's not nearly as helpful.

It isn't as simple as pushing a button, but it isn't difficult and has identical results. 

Posts 71
David R. Bess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 4:29 PM

Now the only way to Send to Kindle is in .pdf format.  Previously it was a format native to Kindle.

Posts 27451
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 5:17 PM

David R. Bess:
Now the only way to Send to Kindle is in .pdf format.  Previously it was a format native to Kindle.

No. See this post: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/124007.aspx 

Posts 122
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 17 2017 11:47 PM

Cool!  Thanks for the link!!

Posts 122
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 18 2017 12:16 AM

An updated version, still live:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/13-3-android-e-reader/x/1925063

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 18 2017 6:25 PM

I happen to have two Android E-Ink devices: a Boyue T63 and an Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2. Both have six inch displays and run Android 4.2.2.  (As of now, the oldest Android version supported by FL is 4.4.) You can get these devices, but only through vendors in Europe and China. Yes, that version of Android is no longer supported by FL. However, Verbum still runs just fine on both.  True, we have no idea how long this will be the case. But, for the time being, Logos/Verbum will work on them. I still like using my E-Ink devices, but my iPad Pro 9.7 is nearly as good for reading, so that's my fallback device when the E-Ink devices can no longer run Verbum/Logos well.  

The Android version is not the only issue, though. Some Android E-Ink devices won't work well with Logos/Verbum because they lack certain hardware acceleration features that Logos/Verbum requires. For example, the Nook Glowlight Plus runs on Android 4.4, which is still supported by FL. It is actually fairly easy to install apps to the Nook. However, when I tried running Verbum on this Nook and opened a resource (any resource), I got a black screen.  Not much help!  

As for the Indiegogo projects, I'd be cautious after reading the top two threads in this forum. I hope the folks at Good E-Reader ultimately succeed. An E-Ink device running Android 6.0 would be great. But, thus far, their customer service seems a bit iffy.  

What would be my recommendation now, to someone just getting into this? Since there's no Android E-Ink device currently available that has an Android version that FL supports, I'd recommend that someone invest in either an iPad Pro or a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 or S3.  You can tweak either device to be quite good for reading: nearly as good as E-Ink, to my sensitive eyes.  If you don't mind the risk, then buy an Onyx or Boyue device. Logos will work on either, at least for the time being. But we can't say how long that time might be.  

Edit: I see that the Indiegogo device, according to the web page, will actually ship with Android 4.04. Android 6 will be available as a downloadable upgrade later.  Hmmmm.....

Posts 2248
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 19 2017 12:59 AM

Without Android 6 it's not worth investing a lot. Logos support is one thing. A lot more critical is the adoptable storage feature thar allows you to move resources to SD card, and is not available on earlier Android versions.

Running an unsupported version of the Logos app will only prevent you from accessing new features and to some extend newly produced resources.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS