Zondervan pre-pub discounts expire this weekend

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 1 2010 3:44 PM

http://blog.logos.com/archives/2010/04/last_chance_to_pre-order_the_zondervan_books.html

I found after adding up the prices of all the books I wanted from the bundle (which included all the serious reference volumes and the Gordon Fee "Reading the Bible" books) that it was about $200 cheaper to order them each individually instead of the bundle. So I cancelled my bundle order and switched to individual item orders.

If you've been not ordering this on principle because of the outrageous price (I know some people have faulted Zondervan for their pricing strategy on this, and Logos for going along with it), this is at least a way to save a little more money. Still doesn't bring it down into the "very affordable" category, but it'll be the best price you can ever get on these products. Monday this bundle ships and the price will jump up.

Posts 687
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 4:12 PM

As much as I'd like a few of the resources... Zondervan always has and still irritates me with the way they treat customers like this. After a quick scan of my hard copy bookshelf there are only two Zondervan titles that were not a requirement for Bible College and they were a free trial offer deal... Maybe I'm fickle, but Zondervan seems to look for ways to gouge consumers everywhere. The way they are the Pradis users, as someone who never bought a Pradis title and has no loss or gain, it frustrates me. I realize and respect they are a business and thus need to make money, however robbing people who want to dig deeper in the Word is crazy... Falls in line with those that do not want people to share from "their" sermon or "their" revelation... What does the Lord think of that type of attitude???

Posts 591
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2010 11:26 PM

I had a bunch of them on individual pre-order, but when I realized I wasn't saving any money by pre-ordering them, I cancelled all but two so I would have more money for March Madness.  Stick out tongue

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 1:37 AM

Let them expire. They are way too expensive for modest budgets like mine.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 8:48 PM

Pam Larson:
I had a bunch of them on individual pre-order, but when I realized I wasn't saving any money by pre-ordering them,

I thought this was the situation when the Zondervan resources first appeared for pre-order, but later, prices were reduced. For instance, when the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament (5 Vols.) first appeared, the pre-pub and suggested list were the same price of $250. Later, the pre-pub was reduced to $200.

Is the pricing of this set expected to continue at $200 after pre-pub ends (April 5th)?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 8:53 PM

i had set up the bundle, but wanted to change it.  (wayyyyyyy down reduction).  Problem is, I didn't consider Logos' long weekend.  And the pre-pub ships Monday.  I can't get a hold of my sales rep.  I will have to cancel the one order and not get any, I guess.  Ouch. One major sale and several good resources gone south. Sad

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 12:50 PM

Dan DeVilder:

i had set up the bundle, but wanted to change it.  (wayyyyyyy down reduction).  Problem is, I didn't consider Logos' long weekend.  And the pre-pub ships Monday.  I can't get a hold of my sales rep.  I will have to cancel the one order and not get any, I guess.  Ouch. One major sale and several good resources gone south. Sad

Jared, calling Jared Bryant, are you listening??? WinkSmile

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 1:47 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Dan DeVilder:

If you wanted to cancel the big bundle and change your order to just some of the resources within it, you could do that on the web. I'm not sure with this resource that a sales rep could get you any better a price on them than what is offered over the web. Anyway, even if he could, he's evidently not available over the weekend. You'd be giving up your opportunity to get any discount on them whatsoever if you canceled the order completely without replacing it within anything ordered online. The savings are still significant, even if the SRP is artificially inflated. Though Logos doesn't list what they're eventually going to sell the individual titles for after they come out of pre-pub, they probably won't sell them for as low as the pre-pub prices.

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 2:16 PM

Rosie Perera:

Dan DeVilder:

Dan DeVilder:

If you wanted to cancel the big bundle and change your order to just some of the resources within it, you could do that on the web. I'm not sure with this resource that a sales rep could get you any better a price on them than what is offered over the web. Anyway, even if he could, he's evidently not available over the weekend. You'd be giving up your opportunity to get any discount on them whatsoever if you canceled the order completely without replacing it within anything ordered online. The savings are still significant, even if the SRP is artificially inflated. Though Logos doesn't list what they're eventually going to sell the individual titles for after they come out of pre-pub, they probably won't sell them for as low as the pre-pub prices.

yeah, and now I am reading more closely it says something about "one combined order" . . . which I originally interpreted as "fulfilled" order, not "placed" order.  It seems that even if I tried to change my order before it ships, I really can't, since I used up my "one" combined order.  Which would stink. 

Rosie, to a degree you are right, but I still wuold be paying almost double, not getting the 40% off . . .

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 2:47 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Dan, I don't know if this helps you, but you could always delete your credit card information from the order. Your order would still be there, they just wouldn't have a card to charge. This would give you time to call them on Monday and either cancel your order or change it.

I have somewhat of a similar situation. Our washing machine needed to be replaced which cut into some of the money I had set aside for books. I had a rather busy day Thursday and didn't place my call to Logos until 7:30 EST (4:30 Logos' time zone). I wanted to talk with someone about canceling some of my Zondervan orders. I was hoping that I still had to June to get my 40% off on some of my purchases. Unfortunately, Logos must have changed their work hours (all the other times I have called they were open until 6:00 PM) because when someone finally spoke with me it was nearly 5:00 PM (I was on hold 20 min) and they told me that I had only 1 min before they were closing. I wanted to find out if I postponed some of my orders now was I still eligible for the 40% discount if I ordered by June. The person talking with me did not know. I called too late to get my question answered.

The only suggestion that I got was the one I mentioned to you in the first paragraph. As for me, I'm going to delete some of my purchases. I still plan on getting the NIDOTTE and the NIDNTT. These also had a pre-pub discount whereas the NIVAC (NT and OT Prophets) do not.

I haven't been spending much time in the forums so hope this is still helpful to you.

DBender

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:17 PM

Daniel Bender:

Dan DeVilder:

Dan, I don't know if this helps you, but you could always delete your credit card information from the order. Your order would still be there, they just wouldn't have a card to charge. This would give you time to call them on Monday and either cancel your order or change it.

I have somewhat of a similar situation. Our washing machine needed to be replaced which cut into some of the money I had set aside for books. I had a rather busy day Thursday and didn't place my call to Logos until 7:30 EST (4:30 Logos' time zone). I wanted to talk with someone about canceling some of my Zondervan orders. I was hoping that I still had to June to get my 40% off on some of my purchases. Unfortunately, Logos must have changed their work hours (all the other times I have called they were open until 6:00 PM) because when someone finally spoke with me it was nearly 5:00 PM (I was on hold 20 min) and they told me that I had only 1 min before they were closing. I wanted to find out if I postponed some of my orders now was I still eligible for the 40% discount if I ordered by June. The person talking with me did not know. I called too late to get my question answered.

The only suggestion that I got was the one I mentioned to you in the first paragraph. As for me, I'm going to delete some of my purchases. I still plan on getting the NIDOTTE and the NIDNTT. These also had a pre-pub discount whereas the NIVAC (NT and OT Prophets) do not.

I haven't been spending much time in the forums so hope this is still helpful to you.

DBender

Dan, I appreciate your reply.  Not sure if that will help me, or not.  I know that i can cancel the order (or try the method you have described), but part of my problem is, I bought the WHOLE bundle, not several.  So i can't really parcel it off.  Kind of looks like an all or nothing deal for me.

Posts 120
Steve Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:44 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Quick reality check: When was the last time your pre-pub order was ever processed FIRST THING on the announced publication date? While I'm sure, with the high-profile nature of the Zondervan products, there won't be significant delays as we've occasionally seen on some pre-pubs in the past, the people doing the fulfillment of the orders have to get their Monday morning coffee, check their email, see how everyone's Easter was, etc., so a call first thing Monday morning should still be okay, (as in 6:01 am PST).

As for the possibilities of changing your order and still getting the 40% discount, my experience with the friendly, "want-to-make-it-happen" Logos' sales people, even on matters like this, is often "you do not have because you do not ask." (I think I read that somewhere.)

Steve R.

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:49 PM

Steve Robinson:

Dan DeVilder:

Quick reality check: When was the last time your pre-pub order was ever processed FIRST THING on the announced publication date? While I'm sure, with the high-profile nature of the Zondervan products, there won't be significant delays as we've occasionally seen on some pre-pubs in the past, the people doing the fulfillment of the orders have to get their Monday morning coffee, check their email, see how everyone's Easter was, etc., so a call first thing Monday morning should still be okay, (as in 6:01 am PST).

As for the possibilities of changing your order and still getting the 40% discount, my experience with the friendly, "want-to-make-it-happen" Logos' sales people, even on matters like this, is often "you do not have because you do not ask." (I think I read that somewhere.)

Steve R.

That is what I am hoping for, Steve.  And I must say that Jared has gone BEYOND the call of duty on several occasions.  Still, sitting on an $1100 order that will either break my wallet (if it goes thru) or my heart (if I cancel with no recourse on my %40 discount) is a bit nerve-wracking.  The outcome may be "okay", but that is not at all certain.  I wish I could do the full order, but things have changed drastically in the last month since I made it.

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 5:08 PM

Dan DeVilder:

yeah, and now I am reading more closely it says something about "one combined order" . . . which I originally interpreted as "fulfilled" order, not "placed" order.  It seems that even if I tried to change my order before it ships, I really can't, since I used up my "one" combined order.  Which would stink. 

Rosie, to a degree you are right, but I still wuold be paying almost double, not getting the 40% off . . .

Ah, now that I've seen the rest of your discussion with Daniel, I realize you were talking about the Pradis discount which I'm not eligible for (not having been a Pradis owner). So what I said to you doesn't apply. Never mind.

Posts 120
Steve Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:08 PM

Rosie Perera:

Ah, now that I've seen the rest of your discussion with Daniel, I realize you were talking about the Pradis discount which I'm not eligible for (not having been a Pradis owner).

Dan -

You probably already thought of this, but just in case: If the one-time 40% discount only applies to processed/delivered orders (here's hoping) and you can cancel your bundle order (here's hoping, part 2), you might want to ask if any of the individual Zondervan product prices will be increasing post-pre-pub. (You know what I mean.) If not, it would appear that you have until June 30, 2010 to take advantage of the one-time 40% discount offer without any negative financial impact and can maybe increase the number of Z resources you can get if your financial situation improves over the next couple months.

I know, lots of "if's," but it was something I kept wondering about when I was trying to decide what advantages there were, if any, to my placing a pre-pub order for anything other the discounted 87 book bundle. Ultimately, my lack of patience (I need to work on that) and my being able to really use some of the resources I ordered for a class I'm currently teaching at church on the Epistle of James made it a moot point for me.

Steve R.

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:46 PM

There were discounts?  I didn't see any discounts.  LOL!Wink

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:52 PM

Richard Crampton:

There were discounts?  I didn't see any discounts.  LOL!Wink

Nice to see you smiling (even if with a wry smile!) Rick!

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:54 PM

Steve Robinson:

Rosie Perera:

Ah, now that I've seen the rest of your discussion with Daniel, I realize you were talking about the Pradis discount which I'm not eligible for (not having been a Pradis owner).

Dan -

You probably already thought of this, but just in case: If the one-time 40% discount only applies to processed/delivered orders (here's hoping) and you can cancel your bundle order (here's hoping, part 2), you might want to ask if any of the individual Zondervan product prices will be increasing post-pre-pub. (You know what I mean.) If not, it would appear that you have until June 30, 2010 to take advantage of the one-time 40% discount offer without any negative financial impact and can maybe increase the number of Z resources you can get if your financial situation improves over the next couple months.

I know, lots of "if's," but it was something I kept wondering about when I was trying to decide what advantages there were, if any, to my placing a pre-pub order for anything other the discounted 87 book bundle. Ultimately, my lack of patience (I need to work on that) and my being able to really use some of the resources I ordered for a class I'm currently teaching at church on the Epistle of James made it a moot point for me.

Steve R.

those ARE big ifs, Steve, unfortunately.  And the page about Pradis discounts gives this (paraphrased) scenario:  If you call and place an order, and then decide a month later (with the order still not processed) and want to add to it, you can not.

I guess I could say I don't want to add to it, but subtract . . .

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 8:14 PM

I saved lots of money (over a 1000 bucks) by not taking advantage of those enormous Zondervan discounts to Pradis users;)  LOL!  I thought paying for my resources twice was an offer just too good to accept.  LOL!Wink

Pradis may be a dead platform but it still works.  Hey, it's faster than Logos!  LOL!   It opens immediately and graphics are not an issue. Big Smile

Posts 120
Steve Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 10:23 PM

Richard Crampton:

I saved lots of money (over a 1000 bucks) by not taking advantage of those enormous Zondervan discounts to Pradis users

It's all an individual cost/benefit assessment anyway. The same argument can be made for people not purchasing Logos resources that they have a hard copy of. If that's what works best for them, great. 

While I had the best of intentions when I purchased them, my Pradis libraries have been pretty much a waste of money for how seldom I use it because of a) how many more good resources I have in my Logos library where I start most of my Bible study/research and b) how much friendlier and well-integrated the Logos interface is for pretty much anything. For me, "repurchasing" a few of my most-used and most-helpful Zondervan resources, as well as newly purchasing a few more, such as the NIV Application Commentary, is going to benefit me greatly by having all these resources in one library. It will save me time and increase the quality of my time in God's Word. It's that simple and that important for me.

While some people may dismiss the offer simply on principle, which is everyone's right, I know there are others like me who who use the tools in Logos (i.e. the passage guide, word studies, searching), quite regularly and almost exclusively for both personal study and teaching prep, so the decision to add some Zondervan resources to the Logos library is both a practical and prudent one. That, in a nutshell, is why some of us are taking advantage of the opportunity (or in Dan's case, trying to) and are very thankful for it.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS