An idea for Atlas

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1083
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 26 2017 12:23 AM

Ted Weis:

For teaching purposes, it would be nice to have an atlas where you could show how a city or region looks today and what it is was like in biblical times.

The atlas has long been an underdeveloped resource.

It really brings things to life. The small set of Biblical maps and plastic overlays from Rose Publishing shows what can be done. 

Posts 24484
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 26 2017 12:47 AM

Ted Weis:
For teaching purposes, it would be nice to have an atlas where you could show how a city or region looks today and what it is was like in biblical times.

While not an atlas there is the "Before and After: Biblical Sites" interactive

The problem is there are only 11 entries and I don't know if there are any plans to increase this

Posts 4452
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 27 2017 6:28 AM

Good point Graham.  That would be a good update if they do have plans for it.  I really hope FL can give us an update on this.  They have been responding to the journals outcry but it seems the Atlas tool hasn't reached the boiling point for a reply yet

Posts 951
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 9:58 AM

Gao Lu:

The atlas has huge potential, but is so....something, (far too slow for one thing) that I seldom use it.  

I would be really happy to just have a couple dozen really good maps like in the back of my paper Bible. Maybe a few embellishments like search. If at least those worked quickly and well and were accessible, I would use them a lot.  Many such maps already exist, but finding them is too much hassle.  I end up going to Google and sometimes to the paper maps in the back of my Bible.  

I like your ideas.

I like these ideas too. If you just want a collection of static maps, the Biblical Places Maps resource is pretty helpful, and the places link back to their Factbook entries.

The most direct way to find maps outside of Atlas is Media Search. For example, Media Search, filtered to maps rather than All Media, for <Place Philippi> returns 18 Atlas maps, several Biblical Places maps, and others from third-party resources. 

Posts 951
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 10:28 AM

PetahChristian:

Since map improvements are happening on the web app platform and will be coming to the desktop, as James mentioned, I think it's a certainty that we'll see better maps before or for Logos 8.

I'm simply thankful for all the improvements that FL continues to make.

I share the disappointment of many that it has taken us so long, but we are still committed to delivering all the maps that users have licensed (see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93217/649689.aspx#649689 for a broad outline of the contents of the three volumes). 

We made a strategic decision in the spring of 2017 to switch to a different map technology (vector, rather than raster, based). We've retooled our internal development process around this new approach, and have continued making vector-based Atlas maps. But we haven't yet completed the integration of this approach into the Logos Web App (https://app.logos.com) and the desktop app. Consequently, we have quite a few maps that have been completed internally but remain unshipped (the Web App is currently ahead, and uses the vector-based approach, which makes it noticeably faster). 

There are many features we'd like to add to Atlas, and I hope we'll have the opportunity. In the meantime, our current priority remains delivering the rest of the maps we've planned.

In the spirit of Phil's post asking for Logos 8 suggestions, please feel free to offer your suggestions for what would make the Atlas a better tool (or link to other suggestions elsewhere).

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 10:37 AM

Not to be a party-pooper, Sean, but the Biblical Places panel is slowly disintegrating. The keyboard zoom has been working in reverse for some time. You have to try and use the touchpad's fake mouse scroller instead.  Plus, the maps are basically random, sorted by title, instead of time-period. I've never seen Bibles that order their maps by however they were titled.  But makes sense at Bellingham HQ.

Then, you have your Factbook, that shows unlabeled thumbnails ... it assumes you have a mouse ... touch screens need not waste their time. Of course, they're randomized too (apparently by database source, then assigned title).  And eye-opening by search .... Masada and the Assyrian campagns. Well, ok!

At each improvement, there's a predictable reluctance to allow 'easy to use'.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 29192
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 11:09 AM

Sean Boisen:
We made a strategic decision in the spring of 2017 to switch to a different map technology (vector, rather than raster, based).

Good decision. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4452
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 7:25 AM

Sean Boisen:

In the spirit of Phil's post asking for Logos 8 suggestions, please feel free to offer your suggestions for what would make the Atlas a better tool (or link to other suggestions elsewhere).

What I'd love to see is making the maps more lively w/ filters and overlays.  One example would be the Biblical World - United Kingdom.  When I pull up the map (see photo) all it shows me is the area w/ cities.  Great for some maybe but I think it would be neat if you added a filter to maps like this that add color shades to the 12 tribes so distinguish them and their areas (see examples from the Rose Maps & Charts book or Holman Atlas).  When i go to the Divided Kingdom map there is no line or feature on there that shows where the divide is.

Posts 3733
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 9:45 AM

Sean Boisen:

There are many features we'd like to add to Atlas, and I hope we'll have the opportunity. In the meantime, our current priority remains delivering the rest of the maps we've planned.

I've been Crying ever since the original Logos Bible Atlas software started failing to load in Windows. I haven't seen anything as useful as that was, before or after. It allowed me to populate a map with exactly the info I needed to illustrate a point. The 3D feature enabled me to portray the ascent to Jerusalem (from any angle) in a way that no other software has ever approached. I still miss it.

Current software keeps getting closer, but still is a pretty far 2nd.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 138
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 5 2017 10:08 AM

I have this resource, Rose Bible Atlas, in another ebible format and the maps are beautiful.

For the record, the Logos Bible Atlas 2.0 from floppy days has not been improved upon. I loved to be able to get what info I wanted, have it open a Bible Dictionary, rotate a 3-D map, etc. It was a lot of fun to use. Sadly, I can no longer get it to work.

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS