New Minimum Windows OS requirement for 7.10

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2082
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 19 2017 12:24 PM

Due to lack of support for .NET 4.7 on certain versions of Windows, Logos 7.10 will only be supported on the following or later versions:
•    Windows 7 SP1
•    Windows 8.1
•    Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Windows 10 Version 1607 or later)

Logos 7.10 should ship to users on October 16, 2017.

If you are currently using one of the supported versions of Windows 7 or 8 in the list above, then you will need to update to Logos 7.9 SR-1 before being able to update to Logos 7.10. Logos 7.9 SR-1 will ship later this afternoon.

To determine which version of Windows you are running see this support article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13443/windows-which-operating-system

Posts 2204
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 12:52 PM

Ok but how do we check which version of windows we have?

Or how do we check if NET 4.7 is running on our system?

Posts 24017
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 5:52 PM

David Ames:
Ok but how do we check which version of windows we have?

Windows 10 Anniversary Update = Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393 or later

Control Panel > System will tell you enough about versions before Windows 10. For Windows 10, though, check Settings > System > About for your version & build.

David Ames:
Or how do we check if NET 4.7 is running on our system?

The easiest way is go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and click the "Turn Windows Features..." link (top left):-

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 591
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 9:16 PM

What about for those of us who seem to have Windows 7 SP1 yet don't have .NET 4.7?

Posts 127
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 9:30 PM

My question is the same as Ryan's.  My assumption is that the October install of Logos will call for the install of .NET 4.7 before it proceeds with its own install.

PS  Did I understand from earlier posts that we only have to run the NGEN utility *once* after a *software* update?  And not after a *data* update?  In other words, not simply after ordering new resources, but only after doing an install such as 7.9 SR-1 or 7.10?  Thanks.

Paul L. White

Satisfied Logos User since 1.6

PS  Here is a link to download .NET 4.7 manually, if you prefer we do that ahead of time:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55170

Posts 24017
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 19 2017 9:40 PM

Ryan:
What about for those of us who seem to have Windows 7 SP1 yet don't have .NET 4.7

It will be downloaded and installed with Logos 7.10.

Logos 7.9 SR-1 is intended to enable detection of Windows version and prevent 7.10 being installed on Windows 8.0 and versions of Windows 10 that don't support .NET 4.7.

If you have Logos 7 installed you would have .NET 4.6 (not shown by my method). You can download the .NET 4.7 web installer and run it. It will either install it or state you already have it.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24017
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 20 2017 12:31 AM

Paul L. White:
PS  Did I understand from earlier posts that we only have to run the NGEN utility *once* after a *software* update?  And not after a *data* update? 

Correct, for users running Logos 7.9 e.g. run it after installing 7.9 SR-1.

It will be different with version 7.10 as there is a Command switch (Set use ngen to yes/no)  that can enable ngen optimization and will do so automatically thereafter (default is No).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 127
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 20 2017 3:44 AM

Thank you, Mr. Hooten.  I appreciate your time in educating me/us.

Wanted to give you some feedback.  I went ahead and ran the MS program to update to .NET 4.7 (in order to get that out of the way), and it chose to *repair* that service.  In the process, there was a problem locating a utility whose name goes something like "ntfix" plus some other characters.  I had to do a search on Drive C to find it, and things got a little complicated.  But by the Lord's Grace, I was able to point the repair program to it, and things perked along to a successful repair.

I mention this to you as a recommendation that, when 7.10 comes out, it might be a good idea to send that "ntfix" utility manually, along with your .NET 4.7 update file, so that users who do not have a computer background won't need to deal with this possible location challenge.

I would rather not have said all of this publicly, and, if you don't mind sending an Email to the one associated with my account letting me know how I can reach you, I can than send messages like this more discreetly.

Thank you for being the "Go To" guy with all of our concerns.  Salute!

Posts 24017
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 20 2017 5:56 AM

Paul L. White:
I mention this to you as a recommendation that, when 7.10 comes out, it might be a good idea to send that "ntfix" utility manually, along with your .NET 4.7 update file, so that users who do not have a computer background won't need to deal with this possible location challenge.

You have mistaken me for a Faithlife employee, who have icons with a green background. The 'star' set (red background) are users recognised by Faithlife as "Most Valuable" - super users if you like.

.NET 4.7 will be installed as part of the Logos 7.10 installation and users that have a problem can report to the forum and receive appropriate advice.

What is your version of Windows?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 127
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 20 2017 6:49 AM

Aye, Aye, Captain!  However mistakenly construed.  LOL

Windows 7, 64-bit, SP1

Blessings.

Paul

PS  This machine was purchased as refurbished from a Department Store earlier this year.  There's no telling what kind of problems may have been with it.  I always have a tech help me set a "new" machine up, and, with both this machine and my refurbished laptop of last year, there were 27 spyware/virus programs that had to be removed before we could start to use the machines properly.  So I would presume that may have been part of the reason for the "hunt and peck" method of finding that utility.

I purchase refurbished machines because I am a senior citizen on fixed income.  My concern was that hundreds of thousands of your users are in the same situation, and thus my recommendation.  Blessings.

Posts 24017
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 20 2017 12:44 PM

Paul L. White:
I purchase refurbished machines because I am a senior citizen on fixed income.  My concern was that hundreds of thousands of your users are in the same situation, and thus my recommendation

Recommendations are always welcome. I thought there might have been a bit of history associated with your machine, whilst I didn't know .NET 4.7 had been installed on my Windows 10 machine until it was mentioned by Faithlife (I have the 7.10 beta version). If there had been a problem the fix would usually be unique to my situation, so supplying a 'fix it' tool in advance would be counter-productive.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2204
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 20 2017 6:29 PM

Paul L. White:

Thank you, Mr. Hooten.  I appreciate your time in educating me/us.

Thank you for being the "Go To" guy with all of our concerns.  Salute!

To Paul L White:  Thanks for thanking Mr Hooten so that I don't have to.

Yes, he is one of the "Go To" people with all of our concerns.

And there are many others 

To Mr Hooten [and the many others]:  Thanks 

Posts 127
Paul L. White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 20 2017 10:31 PM

David Ames:

To Paul L White:  Thanks for thanking Mr Hooten so that I don't have to.

Yes, he is one of the "Go To" people with all of our concerns.

And there are many others 

To Mr Hooten [and the many others]:  Thanks 

Don't look now, Mr. Ames, but I think you just *did* (thank Mr. Hooten)!

Funny how that works, sometimes, huh?

Big Smile

Blessings to you both.

Posts 432
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 22 2017 5:09 PM

This will give a more accurate ID of which .NET version you have.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed#net_b

Posts 24017
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 22 2017 10:53 PM

Michel Pauw:
What needs to be ticked for 4.7?

None. It was intended to show that you have 4.7 installed - you don't need the Advaned Services.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24017
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 23 2017 12:14 AM

Bill Cook:

It's bad that MS can't provide a simple/consistent method as that guide was not helpful for Windows 10!

So I go back to my ealier method of letting the web installer either install .NET 4.7 or tell me I've got it.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 24 2017 1:07 PM

ok, I wanted to verify that i am still good.  I have a plus and a filled in box with net 4.7  and my windows ten version is 1703.  Am I still up to date...it seems like I am.  just wanting to verify.

Posts 24017
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 24 2017 2:42 PM

William:

ok, I wanted to verify that i am still good.  I have a plus and a filled in box with net 4.7  and my windows ten version is 1703.  Am I still up to date...it seems like I am.  just wanting to verify.

I'd say you are.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17
Glenn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 25 2017 6:16 AM

Philana, 

So what can we anticipate with Logos 7.10?  Will it be worth the wait?

Thanks,

Glenn Hawkins

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS