Logos 8 Wishlist

Page 25 of 25 (495 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25
This post has 494 Replies | 31 Followers

Posts 630
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 4:13 AM

Graham Criddle:

James McAdams:
and arcing kept coming up in surveys etc so I thought it might be near the top of the pile too

Have you looked at the Canvas tool to see if it meets your requirements?

I have indeed - tried to do a simple arcing exercise in it (reconstructing an arc I've already done) and it took over 40 minutes before I gave up. I was able to reconstruct the same arc in BibleArc in a minute or 2.

I do like the canvas tool, but it's just not suitable for this particular purpose.

Posts 1962
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 5:30 AM

James McAdams:

Graham Criddle:

James McAdams:
and arcing kept coming up in surveys etc so I thought it might be near the top of the pile too

Have you looked at the Canvas tool to see if it meets your requirements?

I have indeed - tried to do a simple arcing exercise in it (reconstructing an arc I've already done) and it took over 40 minutes before I gave up. I was able to reconstruct the same arc in BibleArc in a minute or 2.

I do like the canvas tool, but it's just not suitable for this particular purpose.

It works quite well for arcing, but there is a bit of learning the tool. Here is a partial example. Forgive the sloppiness and incompleteness, it's early and I'm fumbling a bit. It actually comes together much quicker with practice.

https://www.screencast.com/t/5I5CzOT3H5KJ 

Hopefully someone will produce some pro videos on creating various types of diagrams and illustrations.

EDIT: Updated video to complete the diagram.

Forum ThemeEnhanced Forum Search

Custom PC: Core i9; 32GB RAM; GeForce GTX 970; Win 10 Pro
Google Pixel XL | Apple iPad pro 9.7

Posts 630
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 7:16 AM

Randy W. Sims:

James McAdams:

It works quite well for arcing, but there is a bit of learning the tool. Here is a partial example. Forgive the sloppiness and incompleteness, it's early and I'm fumbling a bit. It actually comes together much quicker with practice.

Hopefully someone will produce some pro videos on creating various types of diagrams and illustrations.

That video feels to me like it validates my point. You're spending a good deal of time prepping the text and boxes before you can even start arcing, and then you're having to push against the way the tool wants to work to get the brackets to line up with the corners of the boxes, and that's all before you can even start on the actual arcing process. Biblearc automates almost all of that process so that you're attention is on the arcing itself., which is what the focus was meant to be on right from the start.

You were able to navigate around it faster than I was - I wanted to resize a box and it kept changing the size of the text box, which wasted a good 5 minutes of my time on it's own. But the fact is, we don't have a tool for arcing/bracketing. I can do arcing more easily in Microsoft Word, and I wouldn't dream of doing arcing using Word because that's still wildly inefficient.

Posts 1962
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 7:51 AM

James McAdams:

Randy W. Sims:

James McAdams:

That video feels to me like it validates my point. You're spending a good deal of time prepping the text and boxes before you can even start arcing, and then you're having to push against the way the tool wants to work to get the brackets to line up with the corners of the boxes, and that's all before you can even start on the actual arcing process. Biblearc automates almost all of that process so that you're attention is on the arcing itself., which is what the focus was meant to be on right from the start.

Your point is valid and a good one. Canvas is not going to be as efficient as a specialized, purpose made tool. It can be improved with use and feedback. We've already asked for more control of the text that's imported and hopefully that will come along. Better shapes with better connection points will help the drawings to look more like what you're used to. But it's never going to be as efficient. However, it is much much more expressive, featured, and flexible. You can make a lot of different diagrams and illustrations instead of needing a specialized tool for each diagram. One tool also means that once you are familiar with the basics you will know how to create any type of diagram, you don't have to learn a new tool for each diagram you want to create. There are tradeoffs. It's not perfect. But it can improve with use and plenty of feedback to Faithlife so they know people are using it and what they want to use it for.

FWIW, I updated the video above to complete the diagram, though it doesn't demonstrate anything new from the first version.

EDIT: Grr, updated one last time. I goofed the splice. We need a video demo expert.

Forum ThemeEnhanced Forum Search

Custom PC: Core i9; 32GB RAM; GeForce GTX 970; Win 10 Pro
Google Pixel XL | Apple iPad pro 9.7

Posts 143
Nick Highland | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:13 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Nick, I'm really sorry we didn't get to this. We did search query templates as a step in this direction, because it was much more achievable within the time frame we had to finish Logos 8. We'd to iterate on search templates and evolve them toward a full-blown search query builder in the future. There's a chance we might be able to get to this as part of an initiative in 2019, but no promises. I hope we delivered enough other value in Logos 8 to make it a worthy upgrade for you. I'm sorry we didn't get to this.

Phil - knowing that this request has not only been heard, but is in serious consideration has made my day.  Thank you!

Posts 1826
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:22 AM

Nick:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Nick, I'm really sorry we didn't get to this. We did search query templates as a step in this direction, because it was much more achievable within the time frame we had to finish Logos 8. We'd to iterate on search templates and evolve them toward a full-blown search query builder in the future. There's a chance we might be able to get to this as part of an initiative in 2019, but no promises. I hope we delivered enough other value in Logos 8 to make it a worthy upgrade for you. I'm sorry we didn't get to this.

Phil - knowing that this request has not only been heard, but is in serious consideration has made my day.  Thank you!

Yes, this is good news to know it is being considered

Posts 9686
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:31 AM

Mark:

Nick:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Yes, this is good news to know it is being considered

I know folks will be less than pleased with another less than enthused point. 

But which planet does FL live on? I think a complicated search complaint's been around even during Libby days ... ergo the graphical attempt and 3 attempts at searches. Then you had dumping search examples in front of people's UI, hoping someone on the forum knew the syntax, and now templates. Granted, 9 years is a pretty tight schedule.

Ok, nail me .... I'm waiting for 8.1's amazing features.

Posts 25609
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 1:07 PM

Denise:
Then you had dumping search examples in front of people's UI, hoping someone on the forum knew the syntax,

You realize that clicking on the example moved it into the Search box and thus made it a type of template. Only complex arguments required coming to the forums. Well, complex arguments and when the user needed help clarifying what they wanted.

Yes, I know that you're the glass-half-full counterpart to my glass-approximately-but-never-precisely-half-full.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1826
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2018 1:09 PM

Denise:
I know folks will be less than pleased with another less than enthused point. 

You point is well taken.  I am glad they are attempting to work on it, but yes, I agree that the search issue is probably within the top 3 blunders in Logos history. We wait another two years...

Posts 7827
LogosEmployee

Denise:
But which planet does FL live on?

Earth. 

Posts 45
David Betts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 7:52 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) posted to Re: Logos 8 Wishlist in the Logos 7 forum

Earth.

Those of us who now know that “life begins at 70” may have a different perspective on Logos 8 than the younger (along with ‘churchanity' in general)...

Firstly, Thank you!

Secondly, what I ‘wish’ for now is a “global back / history" button in whatever screen is open.
This may be ’too much’ to ask for...

Usually I have five or more windows open.
When I click to go elsewhere for a definition, and then elsewhere for a cross-ref, and then elsewhere again and again, I realize I’ve lost my place. [ “…now, where was I??” ]
Sometimes a tab may be hidden in the same screen I’m in (too many open tabs), but after 10 minutes I don’t know where it is.

Perhaps younger folk may not have this problem, er, ummm, situation.

Shalom

Dav!d
Jude 3, 4; 1Co10

< Earlier I mistakenly sent this to the wrong place - I apologize if this shows up as a duplicate >

And...

I wish L8 would allow program setting to be 100%, while allowing ribbon / menus to be set at 70% or 80%. They do seem too large and taking up too much space compared to the rest of the window. [Or just a small / large icon setting]. No doubt LOW priority.

Posts 719
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 11:18 AM

David Betts:

<snip />

Secondly, what I ‘wish’ for now is a “global back / history" button in whatever screen is open.
This may be ’too much’ to ask for...

Usually I have five or more windows open.
When I click to go elsewhere for a definition, and then elsewhere for a cross-ref, and then elsewhere again and again, I realize I’ve lost my place. [ “…now, where was I??” ]
Sometimes a tab may be hidden in the same screen I’m in (too many open tabs), but after 10 minutes I don’t know where it is. 

<snip />

David, you may find the History tool helpful for this. You can type Show History into the command bar (or find it in the Tools menu: if you use it a lot, you may want to Pin it to the top).

Posts 4
William Gerhardt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 11:41 AM

I would like to be able to choose my own color for the background and toolbars and also the ability to import and my own artwork as a background. A “dark mode” would also be nice.

Posts 18
Scott Cameron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2018 9:25 AM

MJ. Smith:

Scott Cameron:
or even a "layout section" specifically for worship planning. 

This has been suggested ... something may have been done in Proclaim.

I would rather something more integrated into my Logos 8, and which is FREE.

Posts 203
David McAllan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2019 9:26 PM

abondservant:
The SSD upgrade is probably 100$, depending on how much space you need it can be a lot more. Any decent computer tech can help you, or you can do it your self. Its not too hard. The worst part is reinstalling the OS if you don't have software to clone your existing drive.

Thanks, I took your advice. Upgraded to a 1 tb Samsug SSD and the computer flys. It seems that my bottleneck was the hard drive. It has tripled the speed of logos & indexing. I no longer have a problem.

David
https://www.echucacommunitychurch.com

Specs: HP Pavilion dv6-6137tx ; i7 2 GHz; 8 gb RAM; 2 gb Graphics; 750 Gb HD; Win 10; Bitdefender Antivirus.

Page 25 of 25 (495 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25 | RSS