Logos 8 Wishlist

Page 6 of 10 (199 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
This post has 198 Replies | 23 Followers

Posts 24934
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 29 2017 10:50 AM

grippit:
Deploy full Logos 8 with all the desktop features on a virtual machine in the cloud. 

Are you familiar with app.logos.com ? 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 1047
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 29 2017 2:35 PM

Ben:
When I print, I want it to **select subsections by default**. Right now, i have to drill down two or three layers and manually check every box or it just prints the header

Did you know that if you right-click the header section in the print/export dialog, you can "select all" and it will select the child sections? That's not what you're asking for, but it is speedier than the individual clicks.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1572
Gao Lu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 29 2017 3:52 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
Did you know that if you right-click the header section in the print/export dialog, you can "select all" and it will select the child sections? That's not what you're asking for, but it is speedier than the individual clicks.

I right-clicked all over the header, the complete dialog box and half of Kansas and nothing like select-all pops up. Where do we right-click?  

[Edit] Oh!  It's a little bit tricky and part by part, but like this:

Posts 1154
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 29 2017 3:53 PM

... I did not know that Surprise

Still think it's odd to not have it selected by default.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1023
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 29 2017 9:46 PM

Phil Gons, 

It would be nice if Logos would think about changing the way Logos is installed to the folder "Logos4".

Why is it that this folder can't just be named "Logos"?

alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 26 2017 12:09 AM
 Ben: which inexplicably reside in a "Logos 4" folder.

FL made a poor design choice MANY years ago, which impacts installations in the present. Because of this, even brand new installations must go into a folder named "Logos 4." ...

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Sierra   Galaxy Tab 3,   Galaxy S5.

Posts 1412
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 2:01 AM

Here's my top 4 wishlist, in order of preference:

1. Structured categories in the new notes system to transform Logos and Verbum into a true Knowledge Management software for preachers and teachers.

2. Atlas with a single vector map per time period, with layers, and then just preconfigured selections of those layers to create Bible-passage-specific maps.

3. Simplify advanced searching. We should be able to add any and all advanced search syntax by simply selecting it from a dropdown menu on the search panel, at most with the need to simply filter by typing (e.g. which person we want to select who is speaking to create {Speaker <Person Moses>}). 

4. Mobile personal books. Ideally with epub, mobi, PDF, but at least personal books. If Amazon can allow mobile personal books, so can you.

Each of these would be game changers and major upgrades to the software. 

Posts 710
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 12:52 PM

Typos we report could go to a Notes document, so we can have a list of typos reported, and be able to count them. We could also have a reference to check back every so often to see of they have been updated (or not). 

Myke Harbuck, MREd, DMin, PhD Student
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Logos 6.10 SR-2; Portfolio(GK), Logos Now; Mac OS 10.11.13 El Capitan; Late 2014 iMac, 3.5MHz i5, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 710
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 12:55 PM

When a pane is only covering half (or less than all) of the available Logos screen real estate, permitting a double click on the title to expand the pane to cover all of the real estate would be nice. Likewise, double clicking again to restore to previous view of that pane would also be nice. 

Myke Harbuck, MREd, DMin, PhD Student
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Logos 6.10 SR-2; Portfolio(GK), Logos Now; Mac OS 10.11.13 El Capitan; Late 2014 iMac, 3.5MHz i5, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 8711
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 1:41 PM

alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 26 2017 12:09 AM

Ben: which inexplicably reside in a "Logos 4" folder.

FL made a poor design choice MANY years ago, which impacts installations in the present. Because of this, even brand new installations must go into a folder named "Logos 4." ...

One of the early post-Libby  design secrets, was housing the 'molassas' switch in the Logos 4 folder.  This allowed smart users to delete the speed governor, mainly for demonstrations of prowess  at the time.  Unfortunately, the switch was never removed, when newer versions used the older folder. Ironic as it seems today.

Posts 473
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 1:51 PM

Big Smile

I completely agree with Fr Devin Roza. 

I especially like your idea for advanced searching. 

Posts 7198
LogosEmployee

Lee:
Why is it that this folder can't just be named "Logos"?

It is, on Windows. Big Smile

(I don't remember the details, but I believe it was sufficiently complicated to change the folder name for existing Mac installations that it wasn't worth doing it for a minor cosmetic change that most users will never see.)

Posts 1534
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 3:10 PM

Fr Devin Roza:

Here's my top 4 wishlist, in order of preference:

1. Structured categories in the new notes system to transform Logos and Verbum into a true Knowledge Management software for preachers and teachers.

2. Atlas with a single vector map per time period, with layers, and then just preconfigured selections of those layers to create Bible-passage-specific maps.

3. Simplify advanced searching. We should be able to add any and all advanced search syntax by simply selecting it from a dropdown menu on the search panel, at most with the need to simply filter by typing (e.g. which person we want to select who is speaking to create {Speaker <Person Moses>}). 

4. Mobile personal books. Ideally with epub, mobi, PDF, but at least personal books. If Amazon can allow mobile personal books, so can you.

Each of these would be game changers and major upgrades to the software. 

Fr Roza has elegantly put forth his argument for new features and I would welcome there implementation as he has outlined. When I think of my own interaction with the software my preferences would emphasize Search and organization. So my own wishlist looks like this.

1. Simplify advanced searching.
  2. Extend fuzzy search to the rest of the library while keeping them separate and distinct as in Bible and Basic.
  3. Implement the upgrading of the organization of note taking as planned.
  4. Speed up the functionality of the software not just upon loading.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1572
Gao Lu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 5:11 PM

Lee:

If you remove Logos and re-install on Windows (or do an original new install) you can get the highly coveted "Logos" directory.   If you copy all your files over from the old installation it goes pretty quick.  However, your PB original file database may be ruined.  I was so happy the day I discovered that after having to do a Windows recovery.

Posts 62
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 6:56 PM

Steve Jobs saved Apple by choosing only the core things and doing them very, very well. Their products don't have the most features, but they have features people actually want and use; and those features work better than anyone else's. 

That is to say, the people who identified speed and usability... they are on the money. 

I know Logos has, in the past, sought to motivate upgrades and purchases by promoting the "10,000 new features!!!!" of the new version. In my opinion, Logos has pretty much all the features I could ever want. (Except a better atlas, and systematic theologies integrated into facebook)

What will really help me is if the program became snappier, especially that sluggish right click menu, and populating of guides etc.

Make the program help people more, and it will sell - regardless of the number of new features. So, speed and usability. 

EDIT: I should say, there have been great steps in this direction already in the last 12 months. "so more and more", as Paul would say

Posts 1520
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 30 2017 7:33 PM

I wish FL to make Logos program more efficient, speedier, more responsive.  I am not asking for more bells and whistles.  I am asking for all that already exists to be done better...

1. creating favorites folders is easy, but it could be more efficient. 

2. Personal book builder is wonderful.  But could be better by allowing user created content to be accessed on mobile phones and tablets, and by allowing users to permanently delete old versions and files no longer wanted or needed.  Personal books that are edited and recreated could have a maximum saving of 3 older versions for example. 

3. I love the search engine, but it could be more efficient.  Make searching easier so that users do not need to remember so many signs and symbols to do a search. 

4. I love the library, but it is so difficult to organize.  Surely there can be a more efficient way for users to organize what they have.

5.  The program has great features, but is not very touch friendly.  This surely would enhance our experience of what already we have

6. The basic free program was a great idea that took too long to come to reality.  But there is so much available for free already.  Why not add that to the basic free engine?  If you have a good basic free program, it will entice customers to purchase books, and Bibles.

7. In the days of Libronix (L3), you had a really good business model.  I understand why it needed to be abandoned, though the way it was done was one of the big mistakes made.  Could it not be possible to revisit the idea of content created by other companies that could be sold in the Logos program?  Could it not be revisited to have a business model where this would actually work and bring in revenue for FL?

This thread is going to get longer.  Hopefully it will bring about a sense of what the customer wants.  Please think about taking what you already have and find ways to make it more efficient, snappier.  The KISS model (keep it simple stupid) should always be in the forefront of developer's thinking.  Remember Windows touted in one of their operating systems that it has a million lines of code?  It was one of the worst OS Microsoft put out.  Keep it simple.  Make what you have better before taking on new projects.  Revisit promises of the past and if those promises are not going to be kept, let us know why, and move forward.  But dont move forward without telling us why a promise will not be kept. 

Posts 8
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 1 2017 8:59 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

What are the most important things we should address to make Logos a better tool for you?

For Logos Desktop, please allow users to customize an opened resource panel according to their own visual needs in the following specific areas (listed in order of priority):

1. Resource Panel Toolbar
  2. Bible book cover icons
  3. Link Set   

Resource Panel Toolbar

problem:  As feature buttons are added to the Resource Panel Toolbar not only does the toolbar’s already cluttered appearance become worse, but depending upon a person’s particular eye sensitivities, the likelihood increases that one of the new button designs can be especially distracting.   

A prime example of a distracting toolbar button for me personally is the Multiview Resources button.  Its busy three vertical line design seems to my eyes to dominate the other buttons on the toolbar as well as the entire panel.  It is so distracting that it has prevented me from comfortably focusing on the resource text below it.  To avoid this distraction, I reluctantly had to return my purchase of the L-7 Full Feature Set and cancel plans to purchase a Logos Now subscription as well as an L-7 base package. 

I am aware of the Reading View mode.  It is one of my favorite program features, but it does not adequately address this problem.  It can only be opened as a single panel in a full screen mode and many program functions cannot be accessed directly from it.  

suggestions:  Please consider any one or combination of the following suggestions:  

1. Hide entire top row of Resource Panel elements

Provide a single mouse click option to hide the row of Resource Panel elements located beneath the Panel Tab and above the Locator Bar (book cover icon, reference box, resource panel toolbar, back/forward arrows, history drop-down, and resource info button) while working within a normal multi-tiled workspace.  A second mouse click would turn off the hide option. 

This would essentially provide a non-full screen “reading view” within a normal size panel of a multi-tiled workspace.  It would hide any distracting toolbar button, eliminate toolbar clutter, and increase reading space while maintaining the functionality of all hidden panel elements (including toolbar buttons) only one click away.

2. Hide only Resource Panel Toolbar

Provide a single mouse click option to hide the Resource Panel Toolbar while working within a normal multi-tiled workspace.  All panel elements to the right or left of the toolbar would remain (i.e., book cover icon, reference box, etc.).  A second mouse click would turn off the hide option. 

This would hide any distracting toolbar button, eliminate toolbar clutter, and maintain the functionality of all hidden toolbar buttons only one click away.

3. Hide individual buttons

Add an option to hide any individual button within the Resource Panel Toolbar which is visually distracting, seldom used, or routinely accessed through another means (such as a context menu).

This could be done by adding a section within the Program Settings and/or Panel Menu with “on/off” choices for each toolbar button.  (see Uservoice section below for link which provides more detailed explanation and important examples.)

4. Select buttons from a set

Although any one of the default Resource Panel Toolbar buttons could be used, one would not be forced to accept these and could instead select any button from a set of available choices in the same manner as is currently done with the Shortcut Bar.     

The set of choices could include one with an empty design which if selected would result in a hidden button.  This could be used for any toolbar feature that is seldom used or routinely accessed through another means.

5. Change current Multiview Resources button:  

Changing the current Multiview Resources button on the Resource Panel Toolbar to a less distracting button design is urgently needed and would be greatly appreciated, but rather than being implemented alone, this change should be made in addition to one or more of the suggestions listed above which all permit some form of user controlled customization including the hiding of one or all toolbar buttons.

uservoice links:

forum links:

Bible Book Cover Icons

problem:  Several Bible book cover icons (especially the ESV and LEB) are so bright and annoying they prevent me from comfortably focusing on Bible text.

suggestions:  Please consider any one or combination of the following suggestions:

1. Hide book cover icons

Provide users with a program setting to hide or "turn off" book cover icons when a resource is opened.  This would include Bibles and non-Bible resources.  (The Panel Tab already identifies the resource.)

2. Add custom book cover icons

Allow users to add their own Bible book cover icons and to share the icons they add with other users.

3. Select generic grey icons

Allow users to individually switch to a generic grey Bible book cover icon if they prefer (such as currently used for several clause visualization resources).

uservoice links:

Link Set

problem:  The extreme bright orange color currently used for the Link Set indicator box is very distracting.

suggestions:  Please consider any one or combination of the following suggestions:

1. Customize color

Allow users to customize the color of the Link Set indicator box as well as the font color of the letter inside.

2. Move to Resource Panel Menu

Replace the Link Set indicator box with a visual indicator within the Link Set section of the Resource Panel Menu.

3. Change default color

Change the Link Set indicator box's default appearance to a more neutral, less distracting color (such as grey).

uservoice link:

Posts 4399
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 4:48 AM

I've been overwhelmed and underimpressed with the whiz-bang bells and whistles that began with L4. However, for those who are decrying their constant and consistent implementation, I wouldn't expect any let up any time soon. Features are $BANK for FL, because they don't have licensing or residuals costs attached to them. FL pockets all the income that features updates produce...which is good for them, but of no consequence for me. I have a short laundry list of wants that has existed since the first week that L4 came out, and today it is pretty much as long as it was back then. Since Bob was nice enough to come on the forum and personally shoot down pretty much every one of the desires I have in order, I have simply learned to grind my teeth in quiet solitude (except for an occasional and increasingly less common forum rant).

However, I did find something to be ever so slightly hopeful about in this thread, in that a few others have now voiced a desire for a couple of things I previously pleaded for. One is a "drop down history" button, such as are found on most web browsers and which actually existed in L3.

Bob called them "clutter". For me, they are utterly indispensable, which is one of many reasons I still use L3 as my primary Logos vehicle. They get used constantly, all day, every day. Another thing I've seen requested above is a larger note window. In the ancient chisel and hammer days of L3, the note window could be as large as your screen...

What you see above is a screen-sized pop-up note that appears in L3 when the cursor hovers over the note's icon...and you can't replicate this effect in L6 or L7 either. It would be fabulous if this was made possible in L8, but I won't hold my breath. The ultra-tiny keyhole window that exists for pop-up notes now was a conscious decision that (giving Bob the benefit of the doubt) some underlings managed to convince Bob was a good idea. The reason was because instantaneously appearing, ultra-large, information-rich notes, such as shown above, covered the underlying text. So rather than, you know, MOVING THE CURSOR by a millimeter in any direction to make the offending pop-up disappear, the ability to have a vast trove of material appear on your screen instantaneously to serve whatever purpose you might have was scuttled as "a bad idea"...ironically becoming one of the worst ideas in human history. Now we are considered lucky to have the genius of the "totally inoffensive" and frozen-in-size keyhole note window, which nearly never shows all the info you wish to see without the obnoxious requirement of clicking on the note and opening a whole new window, when an otherwise simple "hover and go" would have accomplished everything you wanted. Ah, progress!!

Something that was included in L3...but only for Logos/FL-created notes Super Angry, such as footnotes...was a pinnable note that had a scrolling function. If that user-available feature could be combined with an adjustable window, you could basically create a library in each note you make. Adding these two functions would go a LONG way toward allowing me to comfortably say goodbye to L3. But since I don't expect them to materialize, it doesn't really matter to me what bells and whistles L8 has; they won't get used by me.

Posts 1520
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 5:49 AM

David Paul:
One is a "drop down history" button, such as are found on most web browsers

I have also called for drop down lists...they are very useful.

Posts 24934
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 2 2017 6:04 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Feel free to include web and mobile feedback as well.

I have come to really enjoy listening to audiobooks in the car. I would like more audio bibles for sale, but the BIG new feature would be the ability to listen to your bible reading plan automatically (i.e. It would follow the reading plan from the first reading to the last reading without user input). 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 7198
LogosEmployee

Mark:

David Paul:
One is a "drop down history" button, such as are found on most web browsers

I have also called for drop down lists...they are very useful.

A drop-down list for "Back" history already exists; click the black triangle to the right of the Back/Forward buttons.

This UserVoice suggestion is marked as completed: https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/3394880-right-cick-history-go-back-forward 

Page 6 of 10 (199 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.