Topics In Passage Guide Frustrating - Philippians 3:10

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 36
Ben Vargh | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 3 2010 2:28 PM

I am looking for topics on self-righteousness in Passage Guide of Philippians 3:10

Logos 3 - Far Better

Logos 4 - Frustrating

Logos Team - when is this expected to at least match up to Logos 3, please?

Also running a search for self-righteousness does not bring up topics any better in Logos 4.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 4:04 PM

Ben Vargh:

Logos Team - when is this expected to at least match up to Logos 3, please?

Topic searching is still in development. That's all I know, and it's been a work in progress for a long time. I'm thankful I rarely do topic searches because the results now are not very helpful.

Topics generated from the Passage Guide aren't really topics generated from the passage. These topics are actually generated from references to your passage from your library. It's sort of a "Cited By" listed topically. I don't like it very much, but that's what it is and what it does, and understanding that may help you understand what you're looking at.

But you can search your entire library, or a collection you might create for topic searches (Bible dictionaries/encyclopedias, theologies, etc.), which would bring greater focus to your search. Also, I find that it's helpful to search  for not only 'self-righteous,' but also 'selfrighteous' (no hyphen).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 4:24 PM

i have been using the New Nave’s Topical Bible , that might help for the time being.

Edit: noticed that you also have Nelson's Topical Bible, that one works pretty good for your topic.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 3739
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 5:41 PM

I just did a quick experiment -

1. I created a COLLECTION of all resources with the word "topic*" in the title.  I can do a BASIC SEARCH on this collection for a key word.  
  2. I then created PASSAGE GUIDE with a single entry - the Topical collectdion.  I can do a BIBLE SEARCH on the passage guide and get a list topics for which the passage is included,

Here is the first page of results for Philippians 3:10

Not quite as good as the topical search, but it is a start.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:05 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Nice. It is fairly close, however, to the topics that are automatically found when looking up Phil. 3.10 in the Passage Guide. Can't see your whole list, but did you come up with the self-righteousness topic? I think that is Ben's concern.

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 1814
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:19 PM

Great collection idea. Thanks!    Yes

Posts 3739
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:35 PM

Roger Feenstra:
Nice. It is fairly close, however, to the topics that are automatically found when looking up Phil. 3.10 in the Passage Guide. Can't see your whole list, but did you come up with the self-righteousness topic? I think that is Ben's concern.

When I add the other books to the collection that were included in his results and were not in my original collection, it finds all the results listed.  Note, I do not own ISBE and, thus, cannot add it to my collection.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 7:13 PM

i already had tagged topical Bibles. Tagged groups show up in searches too.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 7:18 PM

Still waiting for decent usable topics myself.  L4 still a step back (long way back) from L3 in this important and critical function.

Posts 31281
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 7:28 PM

J. Morris:

Still waiting for decent usable topics myself.  L4 still a step back (long way back) from L3 in this important and critical function.

If I recall correctly, Logos 3 did some version of a head word search; Logos 4 has a more accurate topic guide that is dependent upon the tagging of resources. I would expect therefore to see a gradual improvement in the topic guide rather than a sudden deliverable. I fear I haven't paid much attention to this as I never used the feature in Logos 3.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3739
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 7:49 PM

MJ. Smith:
Logos 4 has a more accurate topic guide that is dependent upon the tagging of resources.

This would worry me - seeing how fast Logos updates the metadata - look at the expanding list of metadata errors listed in the Wiki.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 31281
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 7:56 PM

Floyd Johnson:

MJ. Smith:
Logos 4 has a more accurate topic guide that is dependent upon the tagging of resources.

This would worry me - seeing how fast Logos updates the metadata - look at the expanding list of metadata errors listed in the Wiki.

Luckily I've spent my life as a disciple of "What me worry?" Newman aka Alfred E. Newman of Mad Magazine (admittedly I've only seen one copy in the last 40 years). However, in the metadata Logos has indicated that there are contractual issues which are far less likely in Logos tags.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26364
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 3:03 AM

Ben Vargh:

Also running a search for self-righteousness does not bring up topics any better in Logos 4.

Unless you run a Basic Search against a Topical Collection comprising the books from your L3 search and bible dictionaries like Ungers, Eerdman's, Tyndale, Easton's, New Bible Dictionary (which have English Headwords in their Indexes). Then you can find where it is a topic (or headword) or part of the text. Other words may generate results in the Topic section of Basic Search.

Once you have a source with the topic as its headword you can "arrow" (keyboard) through the parallel resource sets (PRS) or use the PRS list to navigate.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 36
Ben Vargh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:55 PM

All,

I  am greatly indebted for all the insights and tips.

Floyd's collection idea is great. I added the collection to my main passage guide and it works. The only limitation is that the results are too many and obviously are not grouped by topics, for example, self-righteousness is scattered everywhere. Unless you are well-informed what the topics are, it might be hard to both identify and locate. In this case I located self-righteousness in ISBE and then went for the parallel resources option as suggested by Dave - and that gives my nearly all resources with that as topic - except 'Where To find in the Bible' and 'Zondervan Dictionary of Bible Themes'. I am glad that we can survive with this. But we all agree that this is tedious, time-consuming, and imprecise. I really look forward to the ease of use and precision we had in L3.

Again, thanks to all - especially on a long-holiday-weekend!

Ben

Posts 26364
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 3:24 PM

Ben Vargh:
But we all agree that this is tedious, time-consuming, and imprecise. I really look forward to the ease of use and precision we had in L3.

L3 had ease of use but not precision. Too many "topics" results pointed to the one article with little relevance to the content of the article as indicated by its heading or headword. If Logos provided a headword search we would have ease with precision!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3739
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 3:28 PM

Dave Hooton:
headword search

Dave - what is a "headword search"?

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 26364
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 3:58 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Dave Hooton:
headword search

Dave - what is a "headword search"?

A search for words in the heading of an article, which is a better indicator of a topic than a simple word search in the text of the resource. But the resource has to be indexed by headwords eg. bible dictionaries, topical textbooks/bibles.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3739
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 8:16 PM

Floyd Johnson:

1. I created a COLLECTION of all resources with the word "topic*" in the title.  I can do a BASIC SEARCH on this collection for a key word.  
  2. I then created PASSAGE GUIDE with a single entry - the Topical collectdion.  I can do a BIBLE SEARCH on the passage guide and get a list topics for which the passage is included,

I extended this a bit, by adding a collection of "Dictionary and Encyclopedia" resources I had previously created to the PASSAGE GUIDE.  I suppose I could add these same items to the Topics collection, but I had already created it and could use it as is.

QUESTION - is there a way to merge one collection into a new collection or merge two collections together?

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 6699
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 8:48 PM

Floyd, Mark has a video on mergeing collections. May take a while to locate the thread.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 8:54 PM

Lynden Williams:

Floyd Johnson:
QUESTION - is there a way to merge one collection into a new collection or merge two collections together?

Floyd, Mark has a video on mergeing collections. May take a while to locate the thread.

Here's the video: Nested Dynamic Collections (aka "Creating Collections in Logos 4 (Advanced)")

BTW, whenever you're looking for a user-generated video, you can find them on the wiki (http://wiki.logos.com). There's a link on the main wiki page (a few items down from the top of the page) to Logos 4 Video Tutorials.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS