Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 31
Jonty | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 4 2010 7:31 AM

I am a missionary and presently in language training in France before going to work out in W.Africa. I have been using Logos for many years and gained so much from it. Since being in France I have been looking for options for French Bibles, Commentaries and Theology books. Since I am a missionary, a software version is the best (transportability)- my key reason I chose to invest in Logos.

There appears to be only two French bible software packages. The choice of books in each is similar - mainly old Mathew Henry type stuff which is still in english or at some point has been translated into french. Exploring Logos I found only the old Louis Segond bible sold (and a couple of other slightly more modern translations included in the expensive SESB collection). WHAT A SURPRISE! Such a market virtually untapped - France, Quebec, W.Africa some of the Iles!

Unfortunately, due to nessecity I have ended up paying for one of the aforementioned packages. The customer service was aweful, download links on their website didn't work properly, and the functionality of the program is super basic (I chose the more advanced  program of the two!)Crying. Or maybe I have been spoilt too much by the amazing program features of Logos and the excellent customer service that my expectations have been lifted too high!

Anyway, PLEASE PLEASEAngel, Logos, move into the French market, a french user interface would be fantastic, French bibles, commentaries and theology books even better!

My website: http://www.mackwell.co.nr/ the website of the missionary organization: http://www.wec-int.org/cms/ 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 7:50 AM

Jonty:

I am a missionary and presently in language training in France before going to work out in W.Africa. I have been using Logos for many years and gained so much from it. Since being in France I have been looking for options for French Bibles, Commentaries and Theology books. Since I am a missionary, a software version is the best (transportability)- my key reason I chose to invest in Logos.

There appears to be only two French bible software packages. The choice of books in each is similar - mainly old Mathew Henry type stuff which is still in english or at some point has been translated into french. Exploring Logos I found only the old Louis Segond bible sold (and a couple of other slightly more modern translations included in the expensive SESB collection). WHAT A SURPRISE! Such a market virtually untapped - France, Quebec, W.Africa some of the Iles!

Unfortunately, due to nessecity I have ended up paying for one of the aforementioned packages. The customer service was aweful, download links on their website didn't work properly, and the functionality of the program is super basic (I chose the more advanced  program of the two!)Crying. Or maybe I have been spoilt too much by the amazing program features of Logos and the excellent customer service that my expectations have been lifted too high!

Anyway, PLEASE PLEASEAngel, Logos, move into the French market, a french user interface would be fantastic, French bibles, commentaries and theology books even better!

As an alternative, you could teach them English so that they could enjoy the original KJV -- "if it was good enough for Moses ..."  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 11:09 AM

Jonty:

There appears to be only two French bible software packages. The choice of books in each is similar - mainly old Mathew Henry type stuff which is still in English or at some point has been translated into French. Exploring Logos I found only the old Louis Segond bible sold (and a couple of other slightly more modern translations included in the expensive SESB collection). WHAT A SURPRISE! Such a market virtually untapped - France, Quebec, W.Africa some of the Iles!

I agree

French resources and interface would be great tools.

I also wish more of the resources would be translated in French. However, I am afraid that it does not suit the publishers' and Logos' business model since it might not be that profitable and profitability is the operating word in business decisions. If we look at evangelical resources, in Western Europe, the few French speaking countries (France, part of Belgium and the Switzerland, Luxembourg  ) there have very small/insignificant percentage of evangelicals which translates into a very small market that might not be worth the investment. While the number of evangelical is much greater in West Africa, I know that the overwhelming majority cannot afford Lagos' products unless thy are deeply discounted, which again goes against profitability.

Bible software in "non-profitable" languages might be better addressed in a long term by a non-profit that as it name indicates is not guided by the need to make a profit but by the need to make good resources available to those who need it and does not gets most of its revenue from sales, thus looking at this as a ministry instead of a business. This is not say that what Logos is doing is wrong but it is a business not a ministry and its limitations are obvious.

Alain

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:03 PM

George Somsel:
As an alternative, you could teach them English so that they could enjoy the original KJV -- "if it was good enough for Moses ..."  Wink

Was the King James a relative of the King  Og of Bashan? Big Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:04 PM

Yes, give us French Bibles and books but, please, give us Czech modern translations also Smile

P.S. I just had to...

Bohuslav

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:22 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

George Somsel:

Was the King James a relative of the King  Og of Bashan? Big Smile

He was the 4th cousin thrice removed of Og's great grandson (to the tenth power) on the distaff side.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:28 PM

You messed up all my genealogy knowledge, George. But, having the Moses avatar some time ago, you should know better. Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:42 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

You messed up all my genealogy knowledge, George. But, having the Moses avatar some time ago, you should know better. Smile

Your knowledge of genealogy is probably superior to mine.  I just made it up (obviously) thinking it might make the relationship sufficiently remote.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:47 PM

Yes good job. Sorry if my comment did not come as joke. I tried hard. But to make jokes in English... how you can make it work? Sad Czech jokes go so easily Cool

Bohuslav

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:49 PM

Is it really necessary to hijack someone's thread and thus trivialize something that is important and much needed?

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:52 PM

Sorry Alain. I stand corrected. I am all for the French modern Bibles being available in Logos and also the interface. We have already Spanish and Swedish one available.

Sorry again.

Bohuslav

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 3:00 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Yes good job. Sorry if my comment did not come as joke. I tried hard. But to make jokes in English... how you can make it work? Sad Czech jokes go so easily Cool

You need to be born speaking the language.  I learned it in uteroTongue Tied

george
gfsomsel

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 3:36 PM

Alain Maashe:

If we look at evangelical resources, in Western Europe, the few French speaking countries (France, part of Belgium and the Switzerland, Luxembourg  ) there have very small/insignificant percentage of evangelicals which translates into a very small market that might not be worth the investment. While the number of evangelical is much greater in West Africa, I know that the overwhelming majority cannot afford Lagos' products unless thy are deeply discounted, which again goes against profitability.

Logos has begun expanding its market beyond just evangelicals by making a wider range of theological resources available (Catholic, more liberal Protestant). Even so, I agree that in Western Europe, Christianity has diminished significantly to the point of being not a very big market.

Alain Maashe:

Bible software in "non-profitable" languages might be better addressed in a long term by a non-profit that as it name indicates is not guided by the need to make a profit but by the need to make good resources available to those who need it and does not gets most of its revenue from sales, thus looking at this as a ministry instead of a business. This is not say that what Logos is doing is wrong but it is a business not a ministry and its limitations are obvious.

I have a dream that someday Logos would start a charitable Foundation (the Logos Foundation) into which they would put a certain percentage of their profits and also let users in wealthier nations make donations to it, in order to be able to provide Logos software and resources to people in poorer countries. At the moment it is still not practical because computer hardware and Internet availability and speeds are not what they would need to be in most of these places in order to be able to run Logos. But just think of being able to have Logos available for seminary students and pastors in Africa! Most of them speak passable English as a second language, but having a few key resources in French, Swahili, etc., would be important in a collection made for such users.

Posts 1378
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 2:20 PM

Jonty:

(and a couple of other slightly more modern translations included in the expensive SESB collection).

I hope Logos and the German Bible Society can agree on making the modern translation included in SESB available as individual downloads. The SESB is a great collection, but the price is too high if you only need one or two of the texts that are included in it.

I remember seeing a suggestion in another thread that Logos should try to make available at least one modern translation in every major language.  There are still a lot of major languages (from Polish to Bahasa Indonesia) in which no translation is available in Logos. I would rather see that Logos would invest in accomplishing this goal than that they would try to move into the French market. This is not to say of course that I wouldn't be delighted if Logos ever published a collection for the French market or teamed up with a French partner like they did with the German Bible Society!!! My personal dream is that Logos will publish all theology books written in Dutch, but I don't think that is very realistic.

I think the potential market for Logos in Europe is limited to academic/professional users or lay users who are willing to pay for serious Bible study in the original languages. This may not be a very big market, but I do think  it's a significant market. (By the way isn't the Czech Republic the most secularized country in Europe? And yet there exist Cezch Logos users!) One thing that hinders me from introducing other people to Logos is the fact you can only pay by credit card. Logos is sometimes giving away books for free, but that doesn't help you if you do not own a credit card (e.g.: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/14675.aspx). I don't know how the situation in America is, but I do not think there are many European students who own a credit card.

P.S. Jonty, j'espère que le Seigneur vous donnera Sa benediction!

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:48 PM

Thank you Hendrik-Jan for your comments. You are right with the need of Bible in every European and many other languages of the world. There is not the same need of the Theological and language resources since most people using Logos speaks English anyway. They can use English resources. In Czech that is the only way how to get to most great Christian modern resources. However Bible is different. You need it in your language for devotion, for preaching etc.

I am not sure with what you say about the credit card problem. In our country students can have a special product in most of the banks as far as cards are concerned. What other way of payment would you suggest?

Bohuslav

Posts 1378
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 4:23 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

What other way of payment would you suggest?

To be honest, I wouldn't know of a better and safer way of payment than paying by credit card. I'll admit that I mentioned it mainly to vent my frustration about how difficult it is to get people interested in Logos. In the past month I talked to four students of theology about Bible study software (two students were from my alma mater and two were from another major Dutch university). None of them had ever heard about Logos or SESB, although they could name a number of other programs (both academic and freeware). This didn't really surprise me since most universities that I know of, recommend B...W... as THE software program for biblical exegesis and research and don't mention any alternative software to their students (apart maybe from Accor....). [My apologies if I'm talking too much about my personal frustration].

Now that I'm already digressing: I want to thank you for the overview of Czech Bibles you once posted in the newsgroups. It helped me decide which Bible to buy when I was in Prague last year!!! Now if I could only find the time to learn Czech.....

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 5:16 AM

In the US we can purchase gift cards the function like credit cards. Typically there is a fee for purchase services from Visa or Mastercard. This service might be available in your country, it's worth looking into to give options to students who don't have a credit card.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 25 2013 12:02 AM

Those of you who want a French (or any other) interface should read Help translate Logos 5 into another language!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS