God is intensely interested in the salvation of animals!

Page 1 of 4 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 36
Ben Vargh | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 5 2010 2:20 PM | Locked

A God who is intensely interested even in the salvation of animals (along with the wicked Ninevites) must be interested in anyone. 

Bruckner, J. (2004). The NIV Application Commentary: Jonah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah (103). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House.

Posts 510
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 2:35 PM | Locked

Just the cattle, it seems.

Posts 36
Ben Vargh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 3:46 PM | Locked

Nevertheless, I am finding the NIVAC series immensely useful!

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 4:46 PM | Locked

Ben Vargh:

A God who is intensely interested even in the salvation of animals (along with the wicked Ninevites) must be interested in anyone. 

Bruckner, J. (2004). The NIV Application Commentary: Jonah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah (103). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House.

Please fill me in...this commentary didn't actually say that did it?

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 4:59 PM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

Ben Vargh:

Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,
your judgments are like the great deep;
you save humans and animals alike, O LORD.
The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1989), Ps 36:6.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 5:06 PM | Locked

I don't see "salvation" here....I see "protection"....

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 5:13 PM | Locked

Chuck P.:

I don't see "salvation" here....I see "protection"....

Baker makes some good points:

3467. יָשַׁע yāšaʿ: A verb meaning to save, to help, to deliver, to defend. The underlying idea of this verb is bringing to a place of safety or broad pasture as opposed to a narrow strait, symbolic of distress and danger. The word conveys the notion of deliverance from tribulation (Judg. 10:13, 14); deliverance from certain death (Ps. 22:21[22]); rescue from one’s enemies (Deut. 28:31; Judg. 6:14); victory in time of war (1 Sam. 14:6); the protective duty of a shepherd (Ezek. 34:22; cf. Judg. 10:1); avenging wrongs (1 Sam. 25:33); compassionate aid in a time of need (2 Kgs. 6:26, 27; Ps. 12:1[2]); the salvation that only comes from God (Isa. 33:22; Zeph. 3:17).
Warren Baker, The Complete Word Study Dictionary : Old Testament (Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers, 2003), 484.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 5:15 PM | Locked

Yes. Salvation doesn't always mean deliverance from the consequences of sin.  nor should it.  It has the meaning required by the context.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 5:26 PM | Locked

Stick out tongue

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 33793
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 5:31 PM | Locked

If I recall correctly it was Spanish Jesuits who discussed a length the question of animals in heaven. A Dominican priest informed me that parrots would make it to heaven but he wasn't sure about cats or dogs. (a joke folks, a joke by a parrot-owning priest).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 5:35 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:

Yes. Salvation doesn't always mean deliverance from the consequences of sin.  nor should it.  It has the meaning required by the context.

Agreed.

The problem as I see it though, is while I can not speak to the thoughts of Bruckner, one would think that when writing for an evangelical commentary, you would be exacting in the use of the word Salvation...

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 5:37 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:

If I recall correctly it was Spanish Jesuits who discussed a length the question of animals in heaven. A Dominican priest informed me that parrots would make it to heaven but he wasn't sure about cats or dogs. (a joke folks, a joke by a parrot-owning priest).

There is also the consideration of which country and state the animal is from, Wink

Posts 2541
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 7:52 PM | Locked

I cannot speak for all animals, but if my 2 dogs don't make it to heaven I know a lot of people who won't either.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 8:32 PM | Locked

RonaldQuick:

I cannot speak for all animals, but if my 2 dogs don't make it to heaven I know a lot of people who won't either.

Please don't be worried. It is a well known fact that all dogs go to heaven.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 3855
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2010 10:36 PM | Locked

I don't know if church attendance makes a difference or not - but for the last three years, our dog attended church more often than I did.  We inherited him from a senior citizen last September.  She would take Bo Dandy to church at her senior living center every week - whether I was preaching or whether we had a pulpit supply serving for the day.  Most likely I was traveling (either by train to the west coast of the USA or by car to a Christian conference).  Regardless, attendance did not happen when on the road.

Ruth is now in heaven - but Bo Dandy remains with us.  Though I still preach at the same service, dogs that do not live in at the senior center are not allowed inside.  I have promised to bring him back next summer when the weather is warm enough for an outdoor service.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 12:07 AM | Locked

Robert Pavich:

Ben Vargh:

Yes, it says that, but you've got to see it in context...

Next...the biblical context...

Later...

Finally...that actual quote makes some sense (though admittedly, it's still a bit odd):

And if I get to heaven and find that my dear Cricket isn't there, I'll be very disappointed that God tricked me into thinking heaven is a wonderful place.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 1:26 AM | Locked

I had a wonderful dog (actually very similar to Cricket in appearance) called Tim. He was faithful and loyal (most of the time), but knew right from wrong. In other words he could tell the difference between dog biscuits in his bowl, and a chocolate cake cooling on a shelf in the kitchen - though he didn't always make the right choices!

So he was faithful and loyal - but he was utterly godless. So far as I was able to tell he never thought of God, never prayed to God, never worshipped God, never thanked God. If heaven was fully of doggy biscuits (or chocolate cake!) he might like it there. But a heaven that's all about God is not for him.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:23 AM | Locked

If there are dogs in heaven I hope they stay off the golf course and don't need to go outside when the football game is on.Wink

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:46 AM | Locked

You would be surprised just how often, as a parish minister, I am asked about animals, usually belovèd pets, being in heaven. I have to say that I am agnostic on this, as the only scripture I know that touches on this is Ecclesiastes 3:21. Who knows? Only the Lord knows but my speculation, which is only that, is that – no they don't. And I say that as a person who has been accompanied through my adult life by dogs – all Golden Retrievers or Golden Labradors, Gregor, Corie Buidhe, Cuchlan Ban and currently Samwise. I have loved them all dearly (I still love Samwise) and wept unashamedly when they died, but as I see it, in heaven I shall have only one focus and that will be my Lord Jesus. I may be aware of those, whom I have loved, around me in that crowd, but I think the most I shall do is nudge them and whisper, "Isn't He beautiful, my Saviour and my God," before I throw my crown at His feet, 'lost in wonder, love and praise.'

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:59 AM | Locked

Ben Vargh:

Thanks for all of the input, and thanks Rosie for providing some context...

Even with the context of the passage and the commentator's context, this comment does seem like it is just stretching it a bit...clearly, the commentator's intention is that salvation is in mind, and that this is some kind of comment on who God intends to save...

PS: If Pancho doesn't make it I'm going to cry.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Page 1 of 4 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS