Help- can anyone point me towards...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 132
jwsheets | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 6 2010 6:45 AM

I am writing a book, and I am addressing the fact that in both the Old and New Testaments the Husband analogy is used by God of Himself (0T - God as Husband to Israel NT Jesus as Bridegroom to the Church). I am looking for references to expound on this but find almost nothing on this subject in Logos. Can anyone help me with resources in Logos, other Bible Study Programs (did I say that out loud?), or online or print resaources that might help me in my quest?

Thanks in advance.

Posts 19071
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 6:55 AM

A Basic search throughout my entire Library for God NEAR husband came up with lots of hits, but too many to be useful.

I tried God WITHIN 2 words husband and that narrowed it down considerably.

Recognizing that bridegroom is a synonym for husband, I modified that to God WITHIN 2 words (bridegroom, husband) and found even more. Some are not relevant, but you should be able to poke through the hits and find some good stuff.

What base package do you have?

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 7:20 AM

A search for "God as husband" gives me several good results, with the New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis and the Dictionary of Biblical Imagery being the standouts:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 132
jwsheets | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 10:41 AM

I have Scholars Solver LE

Posts 1141
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 11:45 AM

JamesSheets:

I am writing a book, and I am addressing the fact that in both the Old and New Testaments the Husband analogy is used by God of Himself (0T - God as Husband to Israel NT Jesus as Bridegroom to the Church). I am looking for references to expound on this but find almost nothing on this subject in Logos. Can anyone help me with resources in Logos, other Bible Study Programs (did I say that out loud?), or online or print resaources that might help me in my quest?

Thanks in advance.

James,

Please email me at  jojokorteATsbcglobal.net; please replace AT with ampersand.  I have been studying this topic for a decade and may be able to help.

Joan Korte

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 12:57 PM

There are several possible approaches to researching this topic:

1) Using topical resources like NAVE's or other Topical "Bibles" and looking up the appropriate words such as husband, wife, bride, virgin, jealous(y), prostitut(ion, e, ed) and adulter(y)(ous). A lot of passages will turn up this way. A lot of passages in the prophets accuse Israel of adultery or prostitution (the classic being Hosea) in reference to idolatry (but not solely).

2) Use a simple Bible search for the words above in several Bibles.

3) Use theological resources if you have them such as TWOT, NIDOTTE, TDNT, NIDNT to look up the relevant words. The theological discussion will no doubt cross-reference key passages.

Some passages can easily be missed such as the Lord Jesus calling "an evil and adulterous generation" those He spoke to or James 4 which speaks of friendship with the world and impure motives as adultery and reference to the jealousy of the Spirit.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Francis

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS