IVP Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 31
Jonty | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 17 2009 3:16 AM

Hi all, I presently have the 'IVP Dictionary of the Old Testament Bundle (2 Vols.)' on prepub and am awaiting its shipping. When looking for more information on these two volumes I noticed that IVP have brought out another OT Dictionary

Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings   http://www.ivpbooks.com/9781844743063

It would be fantastic to have this added to the prepub, either separetely or bundled with the other two (at a higher price of course) whichever is easiest!

The Old Testament books of wisdom and poetry carry themselves differently from those of the Pentateuch, the histories or the prophets. The divine voice does not peal from Sinai, there are no narratives carried along by prophetic interpretation nor are oracles declaimed by a prophet. Here Scripture often speaks in the words of human response to God and God's world. The hymns, laments and thanksgivings of Israel, the dirge of Lamentations, the questionings of Qohelet, the love poetry of the Song of Songs, the bold drama of Job and the proverbial wisdom of Israel all offer their textures to this great body of biblical literature. Then too there are the finely crafted stories of Ruth and Esther that narrate the silent providence of God in the course of Israelite and Jewish lives.

This third Old Testament volume in IVP's celebrated "Black Dictionary" series offers nearly 150 articles covering all the important aspects of Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Psalms, Song of Songs, Lamentations, Ruth and Esther. Over 90 contributors, many of them experts in this literature, have contributed to the Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings. This volume maintains the quality of scholarship that students, scholars and pastors have come to expect from this series.

Coverage of each biblical book includes an introduction to the book itself as well as separate articles on their ancient Near Eastern background and their history of interpretation. Additional articles amply explore the literary dimensions of Hebrew poetry and prose, including acrostic, ellipsis, inclusio, intertextuality, parallelism and rhyme. And there are well-rounded treatments of Israelite wisdom and wisdom literature, including wisdom poems, sources and theology. In addition, a wide range of interpretive approaches is canvassed in articles on hermeneutics, feminist interpretation, form criticism, historical criticism, rhetorical criticism and social-scientific approaches.

The Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings is sure to command shelf space within arm's reach of any student, teacher or preacher working in this portion of biblical literature.

My website: http://www.mackwell.co.nr/ the website of the missionary organization: http://www.wec-int.org/cms/ 

Posts 25
Steve Cheek | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2009 6:31 PM

Ditto

Posts 31
Jonty | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2009 10:13 AM

Still awaiting a shipping date for the two other IVP Dictionary of the Old Testament Bundle (2 Vols.) which have been on development status since around April on Prepub. Maybe Libronix are taking their time because they have decided to add this Dictionary of Wisdom, Poetry and Writings as a free gift... I can but dream!

My website: http://www.mackwell.co.nr/ the website of the missionary organization: http://www.wec-int.org/cms/ 

Posts 3681
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2009 10:41 AM

Yes, it would be nice to have this volume added. I have delayed ordering the bundle for this very reason. I am curious also about these OT volumes as to whether they will prove as good as their NT counterparts. Not that I have any reason to doubt that they will be. The question is there because 1) the OT is a large corpus and decent treatment is often limited by resource page limitations and 2) OT theology is not so strong among evangelicals and often hijacked by endless critical discussion while actual biblical and practical theology treatment remains very limited.

So, it would be interesting to hear from those who have them or from you, Jonty, when you get them. It sure looks promising.

Blessings,

Francis

Posts 32
LogosEmployee
Bill Nienhuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2009 3:18 PM

This title is unavailable from the publisher at this time.

Posts 93
Andreas Holmberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 3:23 AM

Hi Bill

Any news of when this great pre-pub will be ready for distribution?

Pastor in Stockholm, Church of Sweden

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 12:35 AM

Any news on when the IVP Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings may be available in Logos?  I was flipping through one in the local bookstore today and it looks like a very good addition to the IVP dictionaries already available on Logos.  Angel

Posts 1497
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 2:53 AM

Bump.

This would be nice.

Posts 1
Austin Clement | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 9:13 AM

Yeah I'm definitely hoping this volume - Wisdom, Poetry and Writings - comes out as well.  Does anyone have any information on if that will ever happen or not?  Did the other Dictionary of the Old Testament volumes do well enough for logos to publish another?  I'm sure they must of... excellent series. 

Posts 124
Dennis Hilario | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 9:27 AM

Yes

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 9:42 AM

YesYesYes

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 67
Aaron Kesson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 3:11 PM

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to revive it a bit to express continued interest in the Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poety & Writings.  This is an excellent dictionary that would be extremely beneficial in the Logos library.  Thank You!

Grace and Peace,

-Rev. Aaron Kesson

http://www.aaronkesson.com

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 4:29 PM

Agreed. This is a must have resource!!!

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2011 4:40 PM

It's been over a year since we heard that "This title is unavailable from the publisher at this time." Any update on that status, Bill? It would be so awesome to have this series rounded out in Logos.

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 1:58 AM

Rosie Perera:

It would be so awesome to have this series rounded out in Logos.

Yes

Posts 1367
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 5:43 AM

Definitely, to add the to rest of the invaluable IVP dictionaries.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 8:13 AM

Ben:

Definitely, to add the to rest of the invaluable IVP dictionaries.

I agree.

Posts 3
William Darius Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 3:42 PM

Add yet another would-be buyer if the third volume were a part of the package. (Holding off because I believe that I may have to repurchase the first two in order to get the third when it's finally made available.)

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 1:50 PM

Yes

Posts 1
Jonathan Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2011 7:49 AM

Please Pre hub this book

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS