Idioms and Figures of Speech

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 841
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 6 2010 10:43 AM

I am looking for suggestions and favorite books for referencing specifically figures of speech. I use the Cited By Tool with a specific collection called "Figures". In it I have Bullinger's FOS, Dictionary of Biblical Imagery, Nelson's I never knew that was in the Bible and Nelson's So That's Why. Are there other resources I might have overlooked that deal specifically with idioms and fos? I keep separate another collection for History and Background. I am looking specifically for idioms.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 11:15 AM

How about these?

Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament
Vincent's Word Studies in the New Testament

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 11:27 AM

There's also Stanley Porter's Idioms of the Greek New Testament.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 11:28 AM

Dewayne Davis:
Are there other resources I might have overlooked that deal specifically with idioms and fos?

The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge lists more figures of speech than I ever knew existed.

Here's an example from Romans 5:8:

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 841
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:06 PM

Todd Phillips:

How about these?

Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament
Vincent's Word Studies in the New Testament

Yes I looked at these as well. Thank you.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 841
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:08 PM

Alan Macgregor:

I don't have that one in my Library. But I will have to keep it in mind.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:26 PM

Dewayne Davis:

Alan Macgregor:

I don't have that one in my Library. But I will have to keep it in mind.

In spite of the name, it's actually an intermediate Greek grammar. It's not an idiom reference. 

Check out the introduction: http://www.logos.com/cgi/BookImageZoom.aspx?SKU=2801&index=3

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 6:33 PM

Bullinger, Ethelbert William. Figures of Speech Used in the Bible. London; New York: Eyre & Spottiswoode; E. & J. B. Young & Co., 1898.

Is THE classic on figures of speech. It is available in Logos. (That is how I got the fancy citation.) It named six different figures of speech in John 3:16 alone using <bible ~ Jn 3.16>.

Many of the figures of speech are idioms.

When working through a passage I will check Bullinger to see what he found. It is not uncommon for it to be helpful.

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 7:20 PM

How would one create a collection with just these resources or others like them?

Posts 841
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:22 PM

Frank Fenby:

Bullinger, Ethelbert William. Figures of Speech Used in the Bible. London; New York: Eyre & Spottiswoode; E. & J. B. Young & Co., 1898.

Is THE classic on figures of speech. It is available in Logos. (That is how I got the fancy citation.) It named six different figures of speech in John 3:16 alone using <bible ~ Jn 3.16>.

Many of the figures of speech are idioms.

When working through a passage I will check Bullinger to see what he found. It is not uncommon for it to be helpful.

I probably wasn't clear in my original post, but this is my main go to resource for FOS. It is so helpful that I wanted to make sure there were not others that would do well to complement it. Thank you.

Posts 841
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:25 PM

Jerry Walker:

How would one create a collection with just these resources or others like them?

Click Tools and Collections. Click new and give it a name. Locate the resources that you want in the collection and drag them to the +plus these resources. There is a lot of information on creating dynamic collections as well. Others might know the links to those posts and some may be available in the Wiki.

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:29 PM

You might also take a look at the Lexham English Bible. It brackets idioms right in the text itself.

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:29 PM

I know how to create a collection I need to know the rule to put in.

Posts 19069
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:35 PM

Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words (presently called simply Mounce's Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words in Logos version, but I think that's a metadata bug) frequently gives figurative meanings of words. Search for figure OR idiom in it with "Match all word forms" checked and you'll get an idea of some of the extent of what it covers.

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:43 PM

Jerry Walker:

Jerry, I doubt with this kind of collection you could come up with a rule that would please you. In any event it will be faster to just drag the resources you want into the collection. It won't be dynamic, of course, but how often will you add a new resource like this?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:51 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Jerry Walker:

Jerry, I doubt with this kind of collection you could come up with a rule that would please you. In any event it will be faster to just drag the resources you want into the collection. It won't be dynamic, of course, but how often will you add a new resource like this?

Thanks Mark for you help!

Posts 841
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 7:03 AM

Rosie Perera:

Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words (presently called simply Mounce's Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words in Logos version, but I think that's a metadata bug) frequently gives figurative meanings of words. Search for figure OR idiom in it with "Match all word forms" checked and you'll get an idea of some of the extent of what it covers.

Thank you for this suggestion. But what is so great about using the Cited By tool with the first mentioned resources is that they are topically organized. Thus the results in the Cited By tool are topics specific to the verse, solely for idiomatic type material. It is like a dictionary resource of idioms and unusual facts on the verse. It is great because it is quick reference without having to do a search. See below.

Posts 19069
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 1:34 PM

Dewayne Davis:

Thank you for this suggestion. But what is so great about using the Cited By tool with the first mentioned resources is that they are topically organized.

That's cool, but I wasn't saying you needed to use Mounce this way in your general study. I just meant you could do one search up front to check it out and see if it was the type of resource you wanted to add to your Figures collection. If you decide to add it to your collection, it works just as well with the Cited By tool as those other resources do:

Posts 841
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 2:54 PM

Rosie Perera:

Dewayne Davis:

Thank you for this suggestion. But what is so great about using the Cited By tool with the first mentioned resources is that they are topically organized.

That's cool, but I wasn't saying you needed to use Mounce this way in your general study. I just meant you could do one search up front to check it out and see if it was the type of resource you wanted to add to your Figures collection. If you decide to add it to your collection, it works just as well with the Cited By tool as those other resources do:

Gotcha! I read through your post too quickly. The results shown look like it would work well. I am not sure if I have that resource.

On a side note, I wish that the cited by tool would not have to jump to a search window when clicking "more". The resources area automatically sorted alphabetically. So if the resource that is alphabetically listed first has very many hits, you don't even get to see the second. I would love for it to just show more in that window.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 2:58 PM

Dewayne Davis:
I would love for it to just show more in that window.

Me too.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS