Since we appear to have run out of Bugs to post

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:11 PM | Locked

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE HE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

A man is driving along a highway
and sees a rabbit jump out across the middle of the road.

He swerves to avoid hitting it,
but unfortunately the rabbit jumps right in front of the car.

The driver,
a sensitive man as well as an animal lover,
pulls over and gets out to see
what has become of the rabbit.

Much to his dismay,
the rabbit is the Easter Bunny,
and he is DEAD.

The driver feels so awful that he begins to cry.

A beautiful blonde woman driving down the highway
sees the man crying on the side of the road
and pulls over.

She steps out of the car and asks the man
what's wrong.

"I feel terrible!" he explains.
"I accidentally hit the Easter Bunny
with my car and KILLED HIM!"

The blonde says, "Don't worry."

She runs to her car
and pulls out a spray can.
She walks over to the limp,
dead Easter Bunny,
bends down,
and sprays the contents onto him.

The Easter Bunny jumps up,
waves its paw at the two of them
and hops off down the road.

Ten feet away he stops,
turns around and waves again.
He hops down the road another 10 feet,
turns and waves,
hops another ten feet,
turns and waves,
and repeats this again and again
and again and again,
until he hops out of sight.

The man is astonished.
He runs over to the woman and demands,
"What is in that can?
What did you spray on the Easter Bunny?!?"

The woman turns the can around
so that the man can read the label.

It says...

(Are you ready for this?)

(Are you sure?)

(You know you're gonna be sorry...)

(Last chance!)

(OK, here it is...)

It says:

Hair Spray
Restores life to dead hair,
and adds permanent wave.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:32 PM | Locked

Groan. The version I heard the person used Hare Restorer. Or was that a Bugs Bunny episode??

Anyway back to the bugs, not Bugs.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:40 PM | Locked

Can't say you didn't warn us.

Now where do I report the bug in the forum filters? It seems lame jokes are getting through.Wilted Flower

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 2:55 PM | Locked

Matthew C Jones:

Can't say you didn't warn us.

Now where do I report the bug in the forum filters? It seems lame jokes are getting through.Wilted Flower

The person who sent that to me said that it had just missed being a lame joke....by a hareWink

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 4:05 PM | Locked

Fred Chapman:
The person who sent that to me said that it had just missed being a lame joke....by a hare
GroanWhisper

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 4:33 PM | Locked

Doesn't this belong in that thread about God saving animals?

Now we find out it's blonds with hair spray.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2010 4:58 PM | Locked

Wait a minute! Idea   I just got the part about the bunny waving. That's funny.

Posts 27228
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 1:53 AM | Locked

Richard DeRuiter:

Definitely the wrong forum, I got some more bugs ...

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3317
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 2:56 AM | Locked

Ya gatta luv it! Big Smile

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 7:52 AM | Locked

Richard DeRuiter:

Now we find out it's blonds with hair spray.

So will there be blondes in heaven?

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 671
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 6:24 PM | Locked

I know we're not supposed to talk about the Bible in this forum anymore, but it would be better than this.

Ephesians 5:3-4 "But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks."

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 5:01 AM | Locked

Michael Lyman:

I know we're not supposed to talk about the Bible in this forum anymore, but it would be better than this.

Ephesians 5:3-4 "But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks."

Wow! That was harsh. That is even stronger than calling someone Raca. I couldn't tell if this was directly to me or the whole group? But I have alligator skin, so I will live through it :)

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:12 AM | Locked

I guess it's time to go do some studies as to what constitutes "foolish talking." At the moment I am not convinced God was forbidding humor and light-heartedness. This thread certainly did not venture into coarse jesting. I would imagine ANY talking people do is foolish by comparison to God's.

In Eph 5:4 Paul is telling us to give "thanks." He repeats this in 2 Cor 9:15 , "Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift."  All the while recognizing the total inadequacy of our feeble speech,

I had a very bad day yesterday and this silly little thread (and the Zondervan rollout) made my day happier. I hope it didn't ruin too many readers' days. Embarrassed

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:31 AM | Locked

Dewayne Davis:
Wow! That was harsh. That is even stronger than calling someone Raca.

What's Raca?

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:36 AM | Locked

Aramaic for "fool"?

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:38 AM | Locked

Matthew C Jones:
I had a very bad day yesterday and this silly little thread (and the Zondervan rollout) made my day happier.

The pastor friend of mine who sent this to me kind of made my day a little better too. He likes to remind people that God deeply loves and fully accepts all His children, even when we don't heed Phil. 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!"

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:52 AM | Locked

Michael Lyman:

Perhaps you were just poking fun here; maybe not (hard to tell just by your post).

A word study (in Logos) of moros (foolish), and a close look at the context of Eph 5:4, sheds light on Paul's use of morologia ("foolish talk" - Eph 5:4), suggesting that the issue is not merely 'foolishness' in the primary English language sense of being mentally deficient, or without intellectual merit. Rather, it suggests foolishness in the primary Hebrew language sense of being morally deficient, or even immoral.

Notice the parallel terms: fornication, uncleanness, covetousness, filthiness, and coarse jesting (vv 3.4), and sexually immoral, impure, covetous... (v.5). Notice also the contrasting term "giving thanks" (v.5, also v.8,ff; BTW 'giving thanks' - eucharistia contrasts obviously with 'coarse jesting' - eutrapelia). A word study of eucharistia would also be in order here, and would shed light on the contrasting terms Paul describes.

Taking "foolish talk" (in Eph 5:4) as simply being silly, or telling a joke (excluding a 'dirty joke' which v.4 mentions specifically) is very probably not what Paul had in mind when he chose that word. Instead we should think of immoral, or morally questionable speech (including morally questionable humor), among which I would include not only sexual humor, but any humor at the expense of another person, of creation, or (obviously) of God.

TDNT takes the meaning of morologia farther to include foolish teaching (see v.6, e.g.), and the root 'logos' often has that meaning. But the immediate context of vv 3-5 doesn't hint at this, suggesting that 'logia' should be taken as a part of this word to refer to speech more generally, without the context of an embodiment of knowledge. I think TDNT goes to far in its conjecture on this point (as TDNT sometimes does), YMMV.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 8:26 AM | Locked

Richard DeRuiter:
but any humor at the expense of another person

No harm intended to Blondes, I'm sure. My house is teeming with Redheads. this joke would still be funny. Blonde, Brunette, Readhead, whatever.

Thank you for sharing Richard.      Especially the  'giving thanks' - eucharistia  part.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 5:10 PM | Locked

Matthew C Jones:
No harm intended to Blondes, I'm sure.

Two of my five daughters are blonde. I assure you no harm is intended, though I can't speak for the poor rabbit that got this started. Thank goodness he was resurrected!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:24 PM | Locked

Fred Chapman:
He likes to remind people that God deeply loves and fully accepts all His children, even when we don't heed Phil. 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!"

Yeah, that makes everything ok.  I was let down big-time by somebody I valued as a close friend. God graciously prepared me for it. I had just heard two sermons on disappointment and how Jesus was let down by his friends. This thread was a nice distraction but the best part was the reminder of my constant Companion & Friend.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS