Passage guide refreshing periodically

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 145
Ross Strader | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 7 2010 3:30 PM

I don't know if this is a bug, an anomaly, know issue or a feature

BUT, I have a custom Passage Guide that I use in study and I have noticed that it periodically (every 2-5 minutes) "refreshes." 

1) I have "follow" off and it is not linked

2) I have not tried with the standard PG

Has anyone else experienced similar behavior?

MacBook Pro 15' Retina  •  2.7 GHz Intel Core i7  •  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3  •  Version 10.10

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:49 AM

Ross:

Could you take a screenshot of your passage guide in its condensed form? Does it happen in its condensed form? Make sure the screenshot has the search query used that will result in a refresh. What is it you are doing when it occurs? Finally I'm not sure what you mean by having "follow" off and not linked.

Posts 145
Ross Strader | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 1:24 PM

Tommy,

Here is the screenshot and some explanation.

The "follow" off does not apply to the PG. Sorry for saying that. What I mean by "not linked" is that the Passage guide is not linked to the ESV bible I have open. I realize if it was linked, the PG would follow the Bible as I scrolled or changed passages. Is that more clear? 

Also, I am unsure about "condensed form." Sorry.

what is shown is the Passage Guide panel with the Exegetical Guide and a Search panel opened up in the tabs behind it.

Thanks Tommy,

r

MacBook Pro 15' Retina  •  2.7 GHz Intel Core i7  •  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3  •  Version 10.10

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:10 PM

Ross:
    I think I understand. So when you have the ESV, or any bible linked to the Passage Guide, whenever you change position in the bible it will adjust accordingly in your Passage Guide. That is probably why it is refreshing. And when I said condensed form I meant the form each category in a report when you cannot see the contents, just the title of the category.
    ( I.E in your screenshot "greetings (Colossians 1:1-2) is a condensed category where as "Commentaries" is not condensed))

Anyway, if you de-link your Passage Guide and ESV after you perform your initial search it won't "refresh" your Passage Guide, it is just doing a new search for the new area in the text you are in.

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:58 PM

Tommy 

Just a query - because I can't think of any use for the backwards linking.

If I open a passage guide I would be most unlikely to want it to reflect movements that I make in the text of either a commentary or bible.

Should this link not be a one way correlation?

Tootle pip

Mike

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 2:45 PM

Mike:

Linking the Guides to anything is wholly voluntary, it is not compulsive at all so, (my previous post may have inferred otherwise) when a HP (HomePage) search is performed the commentary and the bible are linked but nothing else. This is true with the Windows version as well (4.0b SR-1). However if one's computer was powerful enough I could see linking one's Passage Guide to the bible as being preferable. It gives you a certain amount of information that one could without being forced to go back up to the Passage Guide search bar and type the new citation again.

Posts 145
Ross Strader | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:56 PM

Tommy Ball:

Ross:
    I think I understand. So when you have the ESV, or any bible linked to the Passage Guide, whenever you change position in the bible it will adjust accordingly in your Passage Guide. That is probably why it is refreshing. And when I said condensed form I meant the form each category in a report when you cannot see the contents, just the title of the category.
    ( I.E in your screenshot "greetings (Colossians 1:1-2) is a condensed category where as "Commentaries" is not condensed))

Anyway, if you de-link your Passage Guide and ESV after you perform your initial search it won't "refresh" your Passage Guide, it is just doing a new search for the new area in the text you are in.

Tommy, just to clarify, my Passage Guide is NOT LINKED to my ESV. It is not linked to anything and it continues to refresh about every minute. That is the issue I am bringing before you.

Thanks,

Ross

Posts 3152
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:02 AM

Ross:

We are crystal. Now what I need are log files posted of this occurring, and a list of what books you have open whilst the logs are being taken, and the auto refresh is occurring as well as a list of what items you have in your personalized Passage Guide. Directions for getting Logs are linked form my signature.

Posts 114
Kenneth Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 8:47 AM

Tommy Ball:

Ross:

We are crystal. Now what I need are log files posted of this occurring, and a list of what books you have open whilst the logs are being taken, and the auto refresh is occurring as well as a list of what items you have in your personalized Passage Guide. Directions for getting Logs are linked form my signature.

Did you find the solution to this problem. My exegetical Guide keeps refreshing and I do NOT have it linked to anything.

Mac Pro 13 Retina 8GB, 256 flash 

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 9:17 AM

Hi Kenneth

Well done for finding this old post.

Can you confirm that you are using the latest version of Logos i.e. 4.3 and that this is the version that you are having trouble with.

You can find the version by looking under 'Logos Bible Software', 'About...' when the program has focus.

Posts 114
Kenneth Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 11:50 AM

Yes, 4.3, though I am not running Mac, but windows. Also, when I am reading and using the space bar to advance in another tab/window the guide sometimes steals the focus and the tab no longer advances in the resource I am in but jumps to the command/ref box in the guide.

Posts 27678
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 12:04 PM

Kenneth - 

Just for future reference, the Logos website has multiple forums. The one you are posting in is intended for Mac users. In the future, you should post in the windows forum. This will ensure that you get a quicker and more accurate response Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27678
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 12:10 PM

Kenneth - 

I am not familiar with Dell computers. Is this a laptop? Could it be a trackpad glitch? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 3:20 PM

Kenneth Morris:
Yes, 4.3, though I am not running Mac, but windows.

You poor chap - how do you face life in the mornings?

Kenneth Morris:
Also, when I am reading and using the space bar to advance in another tab/window the guide sometimes steals the focus and the tab no longer advances in the resource I am in but jumps to the command/ref box in the guide.

Actually some of the people in here do know about 'windows' but we try not to mention it - it just makes them quiver.     Confused

You really would be better off asking in the appropriate forum.

Posts 114
Kenneth Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 5:24 AM

Mike Binks:

Kenneth Morris:
Yes, 4.3, though I am not running Mac, but windows.

You poor chap - how do you face life in the mornings?

Kenneth Morris:
Also, when I am reading and using the space bar to advance in another tab/window the guide sometimes steals the focus and the tab no longer advances in the resource I am in but jumps to the command/ref box in the guide.

Actually some of the people in here do know about 'windows' but we try not to mention it - it just makes them quiver.     Confused

You really would be better off asking in the appropriate forum.

Okay, thanks for truly caring to help and not using my mistake in using the wrong forum for an opportunity to bash me for my computing choices. Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS