Do i dare take the plunge

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
Robert Ziehmer | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 7 2010 6:43 PM

I own both a PC and a Mac.  I have the scholars library of Logos for my pc (3.0) but i don't use my pc nearly as often as my macbook, so the pc just sits in my office while i take the macbook with me.  

I am debating between buying Accordance or Logos for mac. I understand that it is still in the alpha state.  I am a pastor but I don't require the greek and hebrew tools.  I prefer commentaries and other types of sermon aides.  

Having said that, do i dare upgrade to logos 4 and take on alpha, or will it cause me to double my dosage of prozac?

Thanks

Robert

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 7:01 PM

rszmatt107@yahoo.com:
do i dare upgrade to logos 4 and take on alpha, or will it cause me to double my dosage of prozac

Robert, I've been using the alpha since a8 or a9 and a17 is really working well for me.  I would stick with Logos.  And...the teasers http://community.logos.com/forums/t/15132.aspx for a18 are showing that it will be even better in less than two weeks.  Plus, it is fun being in on something new.  

I would say that a17 would allow you to do a very good job with your Sermon prep. (Providing you don't need to use notes right now). I have had zero crashes with a17.

I would say that Logos 4 (even alpha) is a winner.

Blessings,

Roger

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 7:43 PM

Also think about  months down the track. So if you did get Accordance now, it may be more functional then Logos (I've never used or seen Accordance), so it might suit you best for awhile. But several months down the track, I dare say Logos Mac will be considerably better, and then you could be stuck with the lesser of the two programs for who knows how long. I use Logos on my pc, but knowing the Mac will catch up (and looks better I might add), I'd get Logos hands down, even if its not as convenient immediately.  The ability of Logos 4 pc are simply superb, and Mac will only catch up

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 7:52 PM

rszmatt107@yahoo.com:

I am a pastor but I don't require the greek and hebrew tools.  I prefer commentaries and other types of sermon aides.  

I think this quote makes your decision completely clear to me. You should definitely use Logos. The other software is great for original languages, and I use it all the time for complex searches, but Logos is my digital library. You won't regret the upgrade. Or, if you just want access to your books, you can use Logos 3 for Mac for free.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:55 PM

rszmatt107@yahoo.com:

I am debating between buying Accordance or Logos for mac. I understand that it is still in the alpha state.  I am a pastor but I don't require the greek and hebrew tools.  I prefer commentaries and other types of sermon aides.  

Having said that, do i dare upgrade to logos 4 and take on alpha, or will it cause me to double my dosage of prozac?

Personally, I use Logos Mac every week in my sermon preparation and I have no regrets :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 12:01 AM

rszmatt107@yahoo.com:

I use both. For sermon prep, the playing field is way open with both of these excellent products. If you already have a substantial investment in resources with Logos, then I would probably suggest you go ahead and upgrade v 4 Mac alpha. As insurance, you can run Logos 4 Windows on Fusion should you find that you cannot tolerate the dynamics of alpha software.  I still primarily do this, but the features coming to L4 alpha on a regular basis is very encouraging.

Posts 5480
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 1:14 AM

I use Logos 4 alpha exclusively - (can't handle Greek and Hebrew) ( thats me not Logos which does it well I understand) but like you I use the insights of others to help me understand the original language.

I have been blessed with a) very few crashes and b) a willingness to take notes using 'pages'.

On the other hand I used to run a camp site. If people rang and asked if access was difficult I always said it was - if they asked if it was big enough I always said it was too small. I reckoned that if they were in doubt then they were less likely to be content with what they found.

I find Logos 4 great now. But much depends on your mindset.

Tootle pip

Mike

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 5:29 AM

I own both Accordance and Logos 4 Mac.  
I have also been a critic of Logos 4 Mac (i'm one of those customers that likes the idea of paying for a product and being able to use it - CRAZY, i know).

With all of that being said, let me now say that i am very impressed with a17!  Logos 4 Mac is becoming more and more useful as well as stable.

So at this point, I would highly recommend going with Logos 4 Mac at this point.  Big Smile

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 5:41 AM

Pastor Bob Turner:

With all of that being said, let me now say that i am very impressed with a17!  Logos 4 Mac is becoming more and more useful as well as stable.

So at this point, I would highly recommend going with Logos 4 Mac at this point

And its just gonna get better  Cool

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 5:47 AM

one area that needs work is the exegetical guide - but u said that wasn't a big deal for u.  

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 8:02 AM

rszmatt107:
I have the scholars library of Logos for my pc (3.0) but i don't use my pc nearly as often as my macbook, so the pc just sits in my office while i take the macbook with me.  

I am debating between buying Accordance or Logos for mac. 

Others have already vouched for L4(Mac) functionality, albeit being only Alpha. May I also add that, since you already have L3(PC), you can actually already access all your L3 books on your Mac! You can ...

(a) use Logos Mac 1.2.2 free; or

(b) use Logos 4 Mac Alpha (engine only) free (but getting it to run with your L3(PC) books requires a few steps)

This sure beats, hands down, having to purchase Accordance and new books (which you may already have in Logos!). But admittedly, both the above have their limitations. If you're prepared to cough up more $$$ anyway, you may also want to consider ...

(c) a Base Package Upgrade (ie. Scholars 3 --> Scholars Silver 4 or Scholars Gold 4 or Scholars Platinum 4 or Portfolio)

(d) a Base Package Crossgrade (ie. Scholars 3 --> Scholars 4 + many new books) 

(e) a Minimal Crossgrade (ie. Scholars 3 --> Scholars 4 only)

This blog post by Phil Gons explains it much better than I do.

I'm pretty sure that it'll still cost you less to upgrade from Scholars 3 to Scholars Silver 4, and in so doing, get a whole lot more books, as well as the free engines, with bells and whistles, for both PC and Mac. And as an added bonus (though you did say you don't use your PC that much), you can run L4 on both your PC as well as Mac, and have them both in sync, whether in the office or on the go.

There you go, functionality as well as cost. Logos wins hands down. May even reduce your prozac dosage, the savings of which can go to buying more Logos books Wink

And by the way, you may want to change your forum display name so that your email is not vulnerable to spambots.

Posts 6
Robert Ziehmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2010 8:37 AM

Thank you to everyone who has offered insight. 

Robert

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS