FREE LIBRARY OF PERSONAL BOOKS THAT YOU CAN ADD TO YOUR LOGOS!! (Self-Publishing to Logos / Faithlife)

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 7:46 AM

Philip Bassham:
No, that is why I am saying, just like the App Store, they are the gatekeeper. They decide what is allowed. 

They can't do that. It would be cost prohibitive.

• Copyright laws are VERY complex. Frequently users complain because they can't purchase a book being sold in Logos/Vyrso. The reason: The copyright holders in one territory prohibit it. 
  • FL can't adequately monitor the stuff in Vyrso... how in the world could they do so with a third party store? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 172
Philip Bassham | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 7:02 PM

alabama24:

• Copyright laws are VERY complex. 

I believe it.

But this isn‘t for people to use to BREAK copyright, it is meant for people who HAVE copyright to have an approachable pathway to making their content available in Logos. The long tail of less popular publishers and authors, not just the most popular. 

It is undoubtedly more complex than I know, but I would still be interested in what Logos’ general thoughts are. If this is something that piques their interest or not. 

Posts 172
Philip Bassham | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 7:43 PM

David Ames:

Currently PB are only usable on the PC or MAC platforms and not on the Mobile devices.  

Another project that went nowhere.  Loading PB to Mobile apps. 

I am also disappointed that they have stopped short of that last step on Personal Books, but I can understand their lack of enthusiasm. 

Here is what Mr. CEO said about it— https://community.logos.com/forums/p/126859/848584.aspx#848584

Though in that very post, he mentions wanting to support Self-Publishing like I am talking about here, so now I am really curious where that stands.

Posts 3763
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 3 2017 11:56 PM

Do you have a particular publishing project you would want to pursue yourself? If you do, why not talk to FL directly about it? If you don't, then it is unlikely that action will be taken on an hypothetical scenario. IMO, this is the sort of thing where it can help if someone who is passionate about this and has concrete production plans, does the homework, puts together a well laid-out proposal and then engages FL with it. 

Posts 172
Philip Bassham | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 4:41 AM

Francis:

Do you have a particular publishing project you would want to pursue yourself? If you do, why not talk to FL directly about it? If you don't, then it is unlikely that action will be taken on an hypothetical scenario. IMO, this is the sort of thing where it can help if someone who is passionate about this and has concrete production plans, does the homework, puts together a well laid-out proposal and then engages FL with it. 

I have a particular language that I am interested in (Thai) and have been in contact with a couple of publishers here. They are interested, but in the current model will never be something that will really work. Thai is way down the list for sure, just like most other languages.

So, this is my proposal. Not for one particular resource, but for a model that would allow these publishers to make their own stuff available.

Posts 478
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 7:02 AM

Personally, I'd prefer personal books to continue as they are. I normally use it when the Catholic Church issues a new document, so i can search it in my desktop program. When Logos/Verbum releases their version, I generally buy it because of the improved crosslinks which are superior to the personal books.

I have no rights to distribute such works, so I doubt I could continue this process for personal use if what I created went into some "free library."

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM || iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum, Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite. | Silver: Ordinariate. Anglican | Bronze: Standard, Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 4 2017 7:11 AM

David Wanat:
I have no rights to distribute such works, so I doubt I could continue this process for personal use if what I created went into some "free library."

That would not be an issue in any case. At no point has it been suggested that anyone's "personal books" would automatically become "public books." So no worries. Smile 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS