community pricing

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 11:57 AM

Under my suggestion, when a book has been sitting in CP for too long, all the bids would be added up and if there was enough to go ahead with publishing, it would, and everyone would pay what they bid.  The bidding would not continue when this process began, so, no, you couldn't jump in after the counting began to get a book for the lowest bid.

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 12:10 PM

Thinking a bit more about what you said.

A lot of books have been sitting in CP for years.  I'm not sure they are getting any more bids in most cases.  Logos would reserve the right to add up all the bids on any books in CP for longer than a certain period of time.  When it does that, it would announce that no more bids would be accepted.  This would motivate people to check again on older titles and make bids.

They could bid a $1, though that option usually isn't there, but they run the risk of not getting the books published at all.

I have made three suggestions so far to get these books lost in CP published.  If there are better ideas, please make them.  I want to see these books out there.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 12:22 PM

Larry Craig:

When it does that, it would announce that no more bids would be accepted.  This would motivate people to check again on older titles and .....

... reduce my bid, since I don't really NEED oldies, and sure don't want to PAY for others, that were already lower than me.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 12:29 PM

David Ames:
https://www.logos.com/product/15463/the-speakers-commentary  Current bid $44  get it now price at $60??

As an aside this set was one of the primary resources used in the creation of the Easton Bible Dictionary. Which is still widely used on free sites and some Bible software.

-dan

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 12:34 PM

By older titles, I mean books that have been in CP for a long time.

Reminds me a little about the parable where the landowner agreed to a denarius for a day's work, and but then he also hired people later in the day, and he ended up paying everyone the same amount.  Those who worked the whole day thought they should be paid more, but they had agreed to that amount.

When you bid in CP, you make the bid of how much you would be willing to pay for the books.  Now you don't want them, because somebody offered to pay less because the books mean less to them?  Do you want the books or not?  If you don't, no loss.  If you do, I would think you would be happy the books are published.  The alternative is that the books probably will never get published.  If you don't care, then don't worry about CP.  If you do, then, well, maybe you have a better idea.  I tried three.  I'd be happy for whatever works.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 1:51 PM

Frankly, a lot of my purchases are somewhere between meh, and hmmm. Almost none, take it or leave it.

But I think 2 of your ideas are good. More CP info on breakeven. And your blog idea. I periodically post for a CP or prepub, wait a few weeks, and try again. My impression is that a resource attracts its honeybees fairly early. After that, it's iffy.

I don't know if you thought about it, but, for some of the bidders, their price will be higher than the eventual sell price. So, they would have to not be allowed a refund. And not be allowed to back out. Else, Logos would have to start all over.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 2:37 PM

All this is making me think more.  When Logos decides a product has been in CP too long, and I think a year is a good cutoff, bidding would end unless a person bid the expected winning bid price.  Don't forget, we still don't know if there is enough money there.  It still may not make it. Instead of being mad or jealous of those who got in at the end, I should be grateful, otherwise the chances of succeeding would only be smaller.  And the likelihood of anyone bidding that amount after all this time would be very small.  If there is more than enough money, Logos could, or should, reduce perhaps some of the highest bids.  That would be nice.  If they just kep the extra money, I wouldn't really care.

Posts 163
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 9:18 PM

We're discussing the bidding process, but I am displeased with the Development process.

The 8 volume update to The Works of Whitefield became a qualified pre-pub 11 months ago, 11/18/2016 but has not been scheduled for release yet.

But the 20 volume Classic Studies on the Apostle Peter became a qualified pre-pub on August 4th 2017 (barely over 2 months ago) and is scheduled to ship on 10/30.

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 10 2017 9:47 PM

You're keeping track.  I like that.  I understand that people from FL are a part of these forums, though they don't always identify themselves as such.  Maybe you will get an answer.  Something like prayer.  Sometimes you do, and sometimes you don't

Posts 2853
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 13 2017 5:29 AM

Larry Craig:

Under my suggestion, when a book has been sitting in CP for too long, all the bids would be added up and if there was enough to go ahead with publishing, it would, and everyone would pay what they bid.  The bidding would not continue when this process began, so, no, you couldn't jump in after the counting began to get a book for the lowest bid.

Mark Barnes:

Thanks to Mark Barnes I was able to find a post on Everyone bidding in CP. Have you read that post by Bob Pritchett on CP bids??

Posts 1123
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 13 2017 8:02 AM

Thank you.  But, as you said, somebody had to find this for you.  Many of these are now published.  We need to have an undated list.  

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS