Faithlife: Need for Help at ChristianDiscourse

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 55 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 888
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 11 2017 2:26 PM

The last post by someone with "Elder" status (admin, I think) on ChristianDiscourse was over a year ago (Nate Smoyer). As a result, we still have a sticky post about the last US Presidential election. It makes the board look abandoned by FL and prevents use. It would also be nice if topics could be formally split when they get too far afield, something a moderator could do. 
I would like to ask somebody from FL to consider appointing someone (either Gao Lu, Bill Coley or both would be my suggestions) as "Elder"s for CD. 

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 11 2017 6:48 PM

Great idea.  I nominate Justin Gatlin.

Posts 3038
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 12 2017 11:39 AM

I second that

mm.

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 13 2017 1:23 PM

Justin Gatlin:
It makes the board look abandoned by FL and prevents use.

Actually it doesn't just make it look like that. I'd argue that it means they likely have abandoned it. 

Posts 888
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 13 2017 3:23 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Justin Gatlin:
It makes the board look abandoned by FL and prevents use.

Actually it doesn't just make it look like that. I'd argue that it means they likely have abandoned it. 

Unfortunately, that is true. But, giving some users the ability to take care of things would go a long way. 

Posts 27560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 13 2017 4:23 PM

If I remember correctly, it was built by a summer intern. We will have to wait until June or July for any updates. Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 5:45 PM

www.ChristianDiscourse.com  seems to be down again.  It was slowly slipping for a few days and seems down for good now with various errors--503 being most common.

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 2:35 AM

CD allows for theological discussions and opinions at a level other Logos forums do not allow. I have bought several Logos books based on conversations in the CD forum.

If someone would remove the Trump and Hillary voting survey as a sticky post at the top, and tweak the server a bit, all would be well.

However I believe a moderator over theological issues would result in partisan censorship leaving one big choir for the select few to preach to. 

Posts 1699
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 2:39 AM

Gao Lu:

www.ChristianDiscourse.com  seems to be down again.  It was slowly slipping for a few days and seems down for good now with various errors--503 being most common.

Oh, boy! Does that mean I can start cracking on Arminians and Liberals again on the Forums? Wink

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 3:18 AM

CD represents a range of beliefs. Everything from Unitarianism, to Calvinism, to Pelagianism to Dispensationalism. Also beliefs ranging from Trinitarianism to Oneness, to denial of Christ's divinity. A perfect place to preach to anyone but your own choir. Not to mention diverse political views. Being unmoderated, it is a very unique forum. Hummmm...maybe that's why they're shutting us down????

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 5:28 AM

I don't think FL is shutting it down.  Looks to me more like an amateurish DDoS attack.  Hopefully not.  The site is quite diverse and I think it has some value. Some books get sold because of it and some people learn a lot about the other side of the fence. I think some wise moderation would help make it much more useful.  My idea would be to see it mature into a place where scholars and students could share together.  

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 5:49 AM

Looks as though we are picking up here where CD left off. Moderation = Censorship :) Nice talking to you again Gao_Lu

Posts 10126
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 9:33 AM

Oh, you guys. CD is bad-boy corner.

Forum rule-breaking is fine, as long as the theological discussion is comfortably .... well, you know. Else I'll get CD'd.

Posts 3004
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 12:51 PM

Denise:

Oh, you guys. CD is bad-boy corner.

Forum rule-breaking is fine, as long as the theological discussion is comfortably .... well, you know. Else I'll get CD'd.

Guidelines, not rules.

That being said, the CD community all understands each other at this point as it is pretty much the same core group it has always been.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 979
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 2:34 PM

CD can't shut down! If it shuts down then whenever someone brings up a contentious issue they can't be told to take it to CD where it will die of boredom. :_D

Posts 175
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 21 2017 2:33 PM

Tom Reynolds:

CD can't shut down! If it shuts down then whenever someone brings up a contentious issue they can't be told to take it to CD where it will die of boredom. :_D

Smile  Well said, Tom!

Now if CD comes back up, I invite you to drop in and join the conversation. Perhaps your participation will bring life to the bored board. Stick out tongue

Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 22 2017 2:44 AM

Bill Coley:
Perhaps your participation will bring life to the bored board. 

I have never, in all my Logos years, been to that forum.  It is a shame really, as I do not shy away from some iron sharpening.  But it sounds like it is broken down, so... I will keep my eyes open for updates.  Thanks for this thread, as I really was unaware of it- except the occasional "That is not for this forum- take it to the CD" line.

-Michael

Posts 1
Tyrone Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 26 2017 7:48 AM

Hey I can post here too! (didn't know that)

I've went to Cd recently a few times over the past week, and was disappointed to see it down again.503 my error mainly.

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 26 2017 8:06 AM

I attended recently the Archaelogical conference ASOR 2107 and I've got the feeling that for archaeologists the debate is more fun than doing the actual archaeology.

CD would be good if the members can choose their friends the same way as in the Facebook and block out those that are not in the same mode or level. Also members could provide a profile of themselves (denomination, scholarly views, approach to use Logos, etc.) in order to include other members for discussion/encouragement/debate/whatever.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 26 2017 8:10 AM

I'm wondering where everyone from the CD forum is now posting. I moved to Twitter and have some other sites in mind. But I'm keeping CD bookmarked hoping to finish a couple of discussions we left hanging. But if CD doesn't return, thanks to all who posted there making it one of the best forums on the net.

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS