Bible Study Magazine

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 7290
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 10:17 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I find that it is a delicious irony that a company that thrives with publishers being willing to allow their hard copy books and publications be made available for electronic distribution will not electronically distribute their own content even though they have been told it would increase their bottom line subscriber totals.

I know we already discussed this irony in the "Fire Someone Today" thread but,

Don't you know a LOT of Logos users would buy Bob Pritchett's book in electronic form who otherwise would not buy it? Just put it on the Community Pricing page to see I am right. I think Bible Study Magazine would increase sales with both formats made available. Here's hoping.

Posts 5003
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 7:36 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I find that it is a delicious irony that a company that thrives with publishers being willing to allow their hard copy books and publications be made available for electronic distribution will not electronically distribute their own content even though they have been told it would increase their bottom line subscriber totals.

Now available in Logos (past issues): http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6305

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - ThinkPad T520: 2.4GHz i5-2430M, 8GB, 7200RPM HD, integrated video

Posts 1671
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:04 PM

Todd Phillips:

Now available in Logos (past issues): http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6305

I believe this is a bound printed book.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 5003
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:08 PM

Paul Golder:

Todd Phillips:

Skikes! You're right! and I can't read.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - ThinkPad T520: 2.4GHz i5-2430M, 8GB, 7200RPM HD, integrated video

Posts 1671
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:11 PM

Todd Phillips:

Understandable, one would think that an electronic resource publisher...

Well, anyway.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 3160
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:26 AM

Todd Phillips:

Paul Golder:

Todd Phillips:

yeah . . . i went through the range of emotions too . . . took me a sec to see it was a "bound collection."  drat!  I already have them.  But . . . I have just saved 39.95, too!  Smile

HP Pavilion dv 7z 1000   AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz  3.00 GB RAM 64-bit Win 7

Posts 196
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:41 AM

Dan DeVilder:

yeah . . . i went through the range of emotions too . . . took me a sec to see it was a "bound collection."  drat!  I already have them.  But . . . I have just saved 39.95, too!  Smile

I was most disappointed as I don't have the printed copies (postage too much to NZ) and I didn't read it correctly either....wishful thinking blinded me I guess. 

A lacklustre Dell XPS M1210 Core 2 Duo Mobile T7200 2000 MHz, 2Gb RAM,  NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400,   7200rpm

2010 MBP 2.4 i5 4GB 5400rpm

Posts 22
Rodney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:07 PM

Great idea Andy, to add it to the program.

Posts 522
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:23 PM

Jonathan West:
online subscriptions

Amen.

I would like it to have a Logos ebook format, then it is becomes so natural. Logos' magazine in Logos4, allowed to search, sync, highlight, print, etc.

Posts 39
Scott K | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:17 PM

I would have subscribed to BSM gladly had it included a license for the Logos digital copies once they were made available (since they indicated they were going to make them available electronically at a later date).  I didn't want to end up paying for them twice.  Besides this, there was the complication of living in Central Asia and getting the magazines to me there in a reliable way...  So, I'm waiting for the Logos versions, even if it takes 5-10 years.

Posts 16227
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 11 2011 10:31 AM

Any progress on this? 

OSX 10.10 | iOS 8 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 209
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 12:19 AM

Still no progress as far as I can see towards an electronic edition.

Sad

My house is bulging at the seams and  we need to downsize. The last thing I need is more paper magazines. Also extra postage to the UK presumably ups the price. It isn't that I do not prefer reading real books and magazines it is just the space they take up.

Posts 372
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 1:01 PM

I did not renew my subscription as I too want a digital version.

I can understand wanting a print version to "bring in" new people to Logos. But do they realize that they are losing the old customers?

Why not offer a print version, as long as a digital version is also available?

However, the best would be to offer a print version along with a digital version OR a digital only version.

Charlene

Posts 80
mwk67 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 1:47 PM

I've been a magazine junkie for years, but now only have two left that are print because they're not available digitally... BSM and another. All the rest are digital and many are from different countries which is much cheaper to buy and faster to receive.

The other print magazine I'm still getting is definitely not being renewed. Still debating BSM while I have time left on my subscription.

It's a shame it's not available digitally through a site like Zinio or the Apple Newsstand, or not available through Logos itself. Some of the studies of certain books would be a wonderful resource to draw on when I'm in Logos and getting my list of available resources for a given book. (Some magazines print an annual index which is nice for having a list of past articles without having to go through each magazine individually.)

This is something where I'll have to accept that I'm completely in the dark about what must be a significant marketing advantage for Logos to do it this way. Because from a user point of view print-only makes no sense to me considering what Logos is all about in terms of digital offerings.

Posts 3549
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 2:33 PM

TCBlack:

Kevin A. Purcell:

Actually we have been told that they WILL publish it in Logos format ... later.  Right now, as has been stated they have to ensure success with ink and paper or the magazine dies and does no one any good.

I fully understand the reasoning behind Bob's decision...it even makes sense to me...but nevertheless, you can put me down as one who is waiting for the back issues to come out in digital. I just don't have any room for hard copies of anything. I choose to spend my money on quotable resources, and I can't quote what I've thrown out for space and weight considerations. I do like paper in my hand, but it has become so impractical compared to digital. That said, I do hope the mag continues to grow and thrive.

Posts 1939
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2013 6:17 PM

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will not likely get what I want in this. Logos makes promises about things and never comes through - see the list of features in older versions of Logos 3 that still aren't in Logos 4/5.

So BSM is now my toilet reader. The only place I actually read paper content anymore for fear of getting my electronics wet.

TMI?

Posts 42
Terry Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2013 7:49 PM

I am a "Charter" subscriber to BSM.  The rate is now $19.95.  I thought my rate would not change (one of the 'bennies' for subscribing then). But that's another story.

When the archive was offered, I too did not read carefully enough and jumped on it. 

I would dearly love to  clinic version.  Other than BSM, I have bought no print mediadoor several years now.

Many publishers offer electronic versions with the print version at no extra charge.  And let's face it, all publications are set electronically before printing.  So cost to the publisher would be minimal at most. 

Posts 42
Terry Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2013 7:51 PM

sorry for the types.  I hate auto correct and could not go back and edit the errors.

Posts 1778
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 24 2013 11:14 PM

Even a PDF version of Bible Study Magazine would be ok. The combined cost of the increase in subscription, plus the overseas postage priced this one out of the market for me.  All of my my magazines are now electronic. I'll reconsider if an electronic version of Bible Study Magazine is offered, but until then I'll have to pass.

Even BAR for a while now has had a PDF version, along with a clunky web version you could use, but now they have a pretty nice iPad app. While I am on the topic, I sure would like to see recent BAR archives brought to Logos, but I think that too is going the way of the Dodo. Sad

Logos for Mac - Wiki Page and FAQ

Posts 1671
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 6:10 AM

Here are a few points to consider:

• Bob started the print magazine in order to reach a specific demographic.
  • He succeeded with a print periodical at a time when most others were going out of business.
  • A lager part of this success was in obtaining subscribers that would have normally forgone a print publication and instead would have likely subscribed an electronic one.
  • So in order to keep reaching this goal demographic, and to keep the print publication viable for this goal, he must not allow it to be produced electronically until such a time that the likely electronic subscribers would not cancel their print subscription.

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS